• ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    old-brick-silo_zpsuvtlsogc.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG] Wonder if something like this could be brought down by shooting?

MrJohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    West Lafayette
    Depends on what you're shooting, but it could surely be done. With some tannerite, I bet you could knock that down pretty quick. Otherwise, you're going to need something pretty big and/or LOTS of ammo.

postell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Is it not any longer sturdy? Seems a shame to tear something down so old and neat looking?

Yes I agree, if looks in really good shape. I believe I would scaffold the inside and tear it down until maybe 20 feet or so was left and reroof it and use it as a two story outbuilding.
    And if if it tore down easy I would reuse most of the blocks and build other outbuildings.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would keep it and maybe shore it up. If Indiana ever approves surface-to-surface missiles for deer hunting, you're all set with a launch silo. :yesway:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My brother once dated a girl whose dad took down a full sized silo (bigger than yours), a genuine Ribstone, I believe, so tougher than most.
    He did it by using a sledgehammer to knock out several of the bottom supports on the side where he wanted it to fall.
    When he had the silo barely held up by the few supporting cement supports, he stood back about 50 yards away with his .30-06 and shot out the critical remaining supports.
    After just a few supports disintegrated from his shots, the whole thing came down safely.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    oldpink;5890158[B said:
    ]My brother once dated a girl [/B]whose dad took down a full sized silo (bigger than yours), a genuine Ribstone, I believe, so tougher than most.
    He did it by using a sledgehammer to knock out several of the bottom supports on the side where he wanted it to fall.
    When he had the silo barely held up by the few supporting cement supports, he stood back about 50 yards away with his .30-06 and shot out the critical remaining supports.
    After just a few supports disintegrated from his shots, the whole thing came down safely.

Was she hot? :dunno:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My brother once dated a girl whose dad took down a full sized silo (bigger than yours), a genuine Ribstone, I believe, so tougher than most.

Took one down on the inlaws property a simiar way. Cable to the top hooked to a tractor, sledgehammered until we were afraid to be near it, dropped the tractor in gear. A rifle might have been more fun.

Top Bottom