How many times can you chamber the same round?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    I will just add that it makes a differance how you chamber that round. I always hold the slide while chambering the round instead of pressing the slide catch and letting it go on it's own. I have no worries that my chambered round is any different than the time I first chambered it, and yes I do verify this from time to time.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    It sounds like many of you are "riding the slide." My EDC gun manual addresses this specifically stating that "riding the slide" is not the correct way to manipulate the slide forward. Doing so could compromise the spring and cause increased wear. Is this true?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/301236-chambering-same-round-multiple-times.html

no sense retyping what I typed before.....

How much set back you get, if any at all, will vary by the 1) gun design and 2) bullet profile. There are some guns that almost directly feed the rounds into the chamber with very little feedramp impact, there are others that rely on solid feedramp impact for reliable feeding. I have some guns I have fed the same round 25x and not seen any measureable setback, and some I have seen a couple hundreths setback in just 2x chamberings. Anyone using a single gun/ammo combo as "proof" one way or the other is just poluting the thread w/ misinformation.

edit: there's more damage than can occur due to continually extracting/chambering the same rounds than setback. You can put nicks in the extractor rim and case head from the extractor/ejector which could lead to a malfunction. Not too likely (considering how many times I reload pistol brass), but still a possibility (again depending on your model gun); we're mostly talking about defensive ammo you're betting your life on.

Also, I have seen the case tension get lost and the bullets/case mouth deform on rounds when they are the top round in the mag and are continually slammed into the bottom of the slide on insertion. I first saw this on some dummy ammo I had made for dryfire. So if you are continually loading/unloading your gun and are confident you are not getting setback, I advise locking the slide back, then inserting the mag, then making the gun hot.

Me, I just leave the gun hot... take it out of the holster, put it in my quick-access safe, then back in the holster. My first round is more likely to get shot out (practice) than manually extracted out....

-rvb

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Glock 23

2n6gbi1.jpg

2jdq914.jpg

Top Bottom