How many topics/issues do you not have an opinion on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I stay pretty quite, although I do enjoy stirring things on occasion. I had someone ask once "Why does anybody need an ar?". My response was "I need an ar because I cannot afford a 50BMG. Not the conversation she was looking for, but the look on her face was priceless.

"Why do you need an AR?"

Why do you NEED anything.. so annoying.
    i work in a hyper liberal place.. have to answer this question often..

brings me much much rage..

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Yeah, my Supervisor asked me once if I thought I had enough knives(only had three). I told him if they would let me carry my gun, I would leave a knife at home. No dice.

Just no reasoning with people sometimes, so I stir em up instead.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I miss the days when I would express the lack of an opinion on MJ legalization and be attacked as an enemy of freedom.

Get with the times! Don't you know that the Bill of Rights and bedrock freedoms like freedom to a fair public trial are like so 18th century? These days freedom is measured by the acceptance of drug use and sexual perversion, but who cares if you are subject to unreasonable searches and seizures, can't practice religion, or have troops stationed in your home once in a while?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, my Supervisor asked me once if I thought I had enough knives(only had three). I told him if they would let me carry my gun, I would leave a knife at home. No dice.

Just no reasoning with people sometimes, so I stir em up instead.

My boss just sent me a pick of him with his latest gun purchases, an AR and a M1A SOCOM with a few pistolas...and Whisky & Gin. He would be disappointed if I didn't carry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most of us recognize the areas we know nothing about. Where we're at our most dangerous is when we THINK we know about something, particularly when we have a bit of knowledge but not yet enough to know what we don't know.

Dunning%20Kruger%20Chart.jpg

Politics is rife with Dunning Kruger. Combine with not having to deal with unintended consequences and you have the reason every drunk on a bar stool can solve all the world's troubles (but not his own). In posts on fighting, it leads to "I'll just..." comments. The one plan that always resolves the hypothetical fight they play out in their head.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The average time interval which constitutes the difference between "None" and "Expert" on the Competence axis is most often expressed as "Ain't nobody got time for that."

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    There are a number if times I have said to my wife "I literally have no opinion whatsoever on that."

This does not make her happy.

But neither does me HAVING an opinion, since it will be wrong.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    There are a number if times I have said to my wife "I literally have no opinion whatsoever on that."

This does not make her happy.

But neither does me HAVING an opinion, since it will be wrong.

"If a man walks in the woods, and he speaks, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?"

I do a lot more reading than posting. Many things I don't know about, and many things I don't care enough to wade into the conversation. Occasionally, I cannot help but snark.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I tend to stay away from political discussions. Especially after the last election. Had a former neighbor that I knew for many years. He moved to Seattle to be near family. I was friends with him on Facebook. Finally had to block his postings. It was like he was obsessed with hating Trump. Stuff like "you are a total moron if you voted for Trump". And on, and on. A few other neighbors commented on this too about him.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Most of us recognize the areas we know nothing about. Where we're at our most dangerous is when we THINK we know about something, particularly when we have a bit of knowledge but not yet enough to know what we don't know.

Dunning%20Kruger%20Chart.jpg

Politics is rife with Dunning Kruger. Combine with not having to deal with unintended consequences and you have the reason every drunk on a bar stool can solve all the world's troubles (but not his own). In posts on fighting, it leads to "I'll just..." comments. The one plan that always resolves the hypothetical fight they play out in their head.

I am skeptical of the Expert end of this chart. The more you know the more you know that you don't know. Maybe the chart is relevant to 'educators' who have convinced themselves that they know, I doubt it is relevant for people who work for a living. (though I must admit that my BS indicator is twitchy much more now than when I was new...perhaps there should be a 3rd dimension to the chart where we don't have more confidence but immediately recognize BS)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    No opinion on sports, and people at work seem to talk a lot about football and basketball. I never have any opinions, input, or comments. Don’t care to watch grown men play a game, and think it’s a waste of time. I’d rather DO than WATCH.

Thats the only thing I normally have no opinion about. There’s lots of things I’m conflicted about though. And lots of topics where I know I don’t know enough to make my mind up yet.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am not sure if it is not having an opinion or just not giving a crap. I can think of one big hot button topic that makes people's hair catch fire on both sides. I have evolved to just not caring about it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am skeptical of the Expert end of this chart. The more you know the more you know that you don't know.

That's why "confidence" is not "knows everything". Confidence is being certain and secure in both what I know and the realization of what I don't know.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have to admit I have opinions regarding a lot of different issues, most of them political, social, philosophical, or historical. I guess this is most of the soft subjects. I believe I know where I have good facts to back up my opinions, but try to be always open to new data to review my opinion on things.

I could not care LESS about sports. It could disappear from the planet earth and I wouldn't mind one whit. I just know I would have to listen to everyone else griping.

I don't care that much about cars, except that I want mine to work. Although taking care of some country property now is forcing me to expand my horizons into small machines and looking into pickup trucks, which I'll eventually need to buy.

For me the question isn't so much do I or don't I have an opinion, but rather do I find the subject worthy enough to expend "emotional energy" in arguing for or against it. For example, I was and still am against the idea of gay marriage. I believe 100% in equal rights, but not in forcing religious institutions to perform sacred services for something they do not believe in. I supported civil unions for gays. However, since we already allowed non clergy to perform "marriage" such as judges, captains at sea, etc I believe the institution of marriage was already undermined and therefore don't care enough to expend emotional energy on the gay marriage issue.

Regards and Happy New Year,

Doug

Top Bottom