How many trap people do we have out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Just like the title of the thread asks, who here is into shooting trap? And where is your favorite place to shoot? I'll start. Other than my backyard, my favorite place to shoot is at Kingen's gun club in Mt. Comfort. It's just a small range, but it's near and dear to me as the lady that runs it taught me in 4-H for 2 summers. Her name is Sharon, one of the sweetest ladies you will ever meet. Every time you go in, she is asking about what's been going on since the last time you came in, etc. She'll cook you up a hamburger and fries before or after you go shoot, and when you're done, she's anxious to hear how well (or poorly) you shot. And if you tell her why you think you missing, she'll get into how you can fix the problem. She can't do it anymore, but back in her day she could knock the socks off of just about any man that challenged her. Some of her trophies are on display and walking in the front door lets you know that this isn't your typical gun range. Maybe that's why she is still able to keep the place running after all these years, even without a huge customer base.

Olive Drab

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Indy
    Just like the title of the thread asks, who here is into shooting trap? And where is your favorite place to shoot? I'll start. Other than my backyard, my favorite place to shoot is at Kingen's gun club in Mt. Comfort. It's just a small range, but it's near and dear to me as the lady that runs it taught me in 4-H for 2 summers. Her name is Sharon, one of the sweetest ladies you will ever meet. Every time you go in, she is asking about what's been going on since the last time you came in, etc. She'll cook you up a hamburger and fries before or after you go shoot, and when you're done, she's anxious to hear how well (or poorly) you shot. And if you tell her why you think you missing, she'll get into how you can fix the problem. She can't do it anymore, but back in her day she could knock the socks off of just about any man that challenged her. Some of her trophies are on display and walking in the front door lets you know that this isn't your typical gun range. Maybe that's why she is still able to keep the place running after all these years, even without a huge customer base.

Do you have to be a member at Kingens to shoot there? Sounds like a good place to shoot.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Do you have to be a member at Kingens to shoot there? Sounds like a good place to shoot.

No you do not. It is a public range. However, due to her medical conditions, she is only open twice a week. I think Wednesdays from 12-4 and Saturday 12-4. But there aren't a whole lot of people there so you won't have to wait.

Olive Drab

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Indy
    Hope to make it out there soon. I have some friends out in Oaklandon and Fortville. It will be a good reason for us to hook up. Thanks for the info.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    yep shoot a lot of trap.

Shoot at
    Brownsburg conservation Club, Marion County fish and game, Roachdale, Indiana Gun club.

basically anywhere that has a trap field or registered shoot.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'll shoot trap but as an aside to skeet. I'm certainly not as dedicated as some of the hard core trap shooters I've known. When I do I'll shoot in Illinois, believe it or not, at the palos gun club (iirc). It's just where I have most of my business and where most of those contacts prefer to shoot.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    my husband and i are new to shotguns, we sometimes shoot trap in Logansport at Izaak Walton. We've shot skeet and sporting clays in Kokomo, but haven't made it to trap there. shotguns are a lot more fun than i thought!

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    My son and I shoot trap on a semi-regular basis. Locally, I've only shot at Indiana Gun Club, MCFG, and Twin Bridges Skeet club, but I'll be trying Kingens and 5 points conservation club this season.
    The 5 points club has a youth trap program that I'll be entering my son in.

Last edited:

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Love shooting but Trap and skeet are too boring for me. I prefer sporting clays. More like hunting. I will shoot at Deer Creek which is just across MI/IN line and Oakwood Gun in Wheatfield IN.

gunluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    I'm not sure you would consider it trap shooting but I enjoy the sporting clays. Shoot at Old Trails in Richmond

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    My in-law and I either go to Oakwood Gun Club (Nice Place and Great Owner) and will be trying out Willow Sluth this year. We Have also gone to Izaak Walton in Griffith but they have wierd hours for Non-members. Not worth the member fee if you don't use it much.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Trap, and sporting clays, still working on developing my skeet game. I really like the NSSA shooting facility in San Antonio. 600 beautifull acres, With trap and skeet fields overlooking a huge park like setting where the world class Sporting clays course is shot. During all the big shoots there are at least 20 private stores (in permanent buildings) right behind the line of trap fields. Perazzi, Kreighoff, Beretta, Americase, several stock makers, etc have REALLY nice things there for you to examine and handle, as long as you promise not to drool on it. My home club was Ellis County Sportsmans club which hosted some pretty good sized regional events, like the Big Orange Skeet event. I also really like sporting clays at Beaumont Ranch in TX. You cannot help but love the hospitality of Wade and Annie at Hog Heaven Gun club in east Tennesse, home of the mid south championships. Silver Dollar gun club in Florida are great folks, and since most everyone is retired, no one gets in any hurry. I shoot trap, skeet and 5 stand at a couple of private clubs near Lafayette. I have not shot any sporting clays in Indiana, but probably will sometime. I have enjoyed the Griffith and Kokomo Izaak Walton leagues, and will again.

Clay sports have more of the golf course/club house feeling, where high powder rifle is more of a military training feel to it. I am wired to enjoy both, with precision bullseye and action pistol games to keep life interesting.

Top Bottom