• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadowmun43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    My question is how many mag's and pistol ammo do you carry in your web gear? That's if TSHTF you have to grab BOB,the family and run? :ar15:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    13-17 30 round rifle mags (12 on chest rig, 1 in gun, possible 2-4 on a leg shingle, 1 in the gun), 5-7 14 round pistol mags (4 on my belt, possible 1-3 on leg shingle) on my person. Before you ask, that's 20-30lbs of rifle, and 4-6lbs of pistol ammo and magazines.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My question is how many mag's and pistol ammo do you carry in your web gear? That's if TSHTF you have to grab BOB,the family and run? :ar15:

Not a lot since I would already have to carry so much other crap that may be more important than ammo anyway (first aid, water, food, large knife and other equipement).
    Plan just on carrying enough ammo for self defense (just a few mags), not to fight a war since you will never carry enough to do that on your person anyway dont bother with the weight.
    Its not about carrying as much ammo as you can like I see some mall ninja doing. :rolleyes:
    They dont have any first kit or water or things to build a shelter on them but they have 5000 rounds of ammo to fight for three days straight without sleeping or eating.
    If you stay at your home, fine you will have all the ammo you stored.
    If you have to run away you wont be able to take much with you.

For me ammo comes after water, fire, food and shelter.

:twocents:

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    I can't help but wonder how many people with the fancy web gear and chest rigs that are all weighted down with a million magazines and rounds have actually worn them for any amount of time... I also wonder, as mentioned before, if other essentials like water and food were put into them as well? I see images of the "Bob Gregory kid" wrapped up in mags and ammo instead of winter coats. Kind of silly...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I can't help but wonder how many people with the fancy web gear and chest rigs that are all weighted down with a million magazines and rounds have actually worn them for any amount of time... I also wonder, as mentioned before, if other essentials like water and food were put into them as well? I see images of the "Bob Gregory kid" wrapped up in mags and ammo instead of winter coats. Kind of silly...

Also lots of those guys planning on fighting a war all by themself never plan on getting hurt.
    How many of them had first aid training and carry enough first aid to treat gun shot wounds? Not many in my opinion.
    How many of them already practiced making a fire or building a shelter for the night?
    For me fighting and firearms are just a very small part of the training and tools needed to survive.
    In many SHTF scenarios you wont even have to fire a single shot.
    Sure you may have to protect yourself, your family and your food from people who wont be prepared and will want your stuff but 50 rounds of ammo will be more than enough for that.
    You may just have to display your weapons to get away from trouble.
    Thinking that you will need hundreds or thousands of rounds of ammo to fight a war against hundreds of ennemies is just silly.

Keep 100 rounds for your pistol just in case of SHTF and that's it.
    Spend your money and time on real important things.
    Get food and water.
    Get medical training while you can.
    Learn how to make a fire, get all the knowledge you can on survival.
    Learn from the past.
    During Katrina did someone stayed on his roof for five days and fired thousands of rounds of ammo to stay alive or did that person needed food and water and didnt have any of that and stayed alone for five days?
    Get reallistic and worry about real priorities.

:twocents:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Also lots of those guys planning on fighting a war all by themself never plan on getting hurt.
    How many of them had first aid training and carry enough first aid to treat gun shot wounds? Not many in my opinion.

I learned how to treat a gunshot wound off of watching Manswers if that counts :D

Anyway, the only semi auto I have is a 1911 and I think I have 4 mags (?). So at the moment it looks like I'm only carrying 32 rounds.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Web gear and open carry of firearms equals BULLET MAGNET.

No thanks.

Haven't you seen the posts, even on this forum, where posters have stated that they would shoot folks carrying rifles who were approaching their hide or house? Or even walking by? They could be talking about you. Or me.

Last edited:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Light and nimble is a very good way of staying in the fight, regardless of it being a war zone or a disaster... Ammo can be very heavy and if forced to use your firearm in defense, there should be re-supply within reach after over coming that obstacle..

Just my .02 cents worth....

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Well said Sylvain...

IMHO carry what you know how to use and only what you know how to use. Seriously if you carry something that you can't utilize at least 100% for at least two purposes you don't need it to survive.

I was asked the other day why I carried so much stuff every day. I explained it is constant training. I lug around a 35-40 pound EDC bag, have 40 pound Bob's in the vehicles and the like. I know each of our vehicles get less miles per gallon then a similar vehicle because if your like me you have at least another 50-100 pounds of stuff in your vehicle.

I carry two of most things..

one 10 round mag in my edc 9mm
    one spare 17 round mag weak side next to a flashlight
    two loaded 17 round mags on my spare mag holder on my edc
    and my edc has another 100 rounds of primary 9mm
    and 50 rounds of my back up .380 ammo.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    13-17 30 round rifle mags (12 on chest rig, 1 in gun, possible 2-4 on a leg shingle, 1 in the gun), 5-7 14 round pistol mags (4 on my belt, possible 1-3 on leg shingle) on my person. Before you ask, that's 20-30lbs of rifle, and 4-6lbs of pistol ammo and magazines.
    Have you ever carried this gear along with your water, IFAK etc.? If so, how far and in what conditions?
    5 xtra rifle mags
    2-4 xtra pistol mags
    FYI- Leg shingles work great for assaulting buildings but hump it for more than 100mtrs and you'll find the problem. You will be moving very slow with all that gear you're carrying. Using energy up that you won't be replenishing soon also.
    That along with all the other stuff will be more than enough. I've spent plenty of time overseas carrying loads of stuff that I, or somebody else, thought I needed to pare it down to what works. Your greatest weapon is what's between your ears.:twocents:

Bob

Last edited:
    Top Bottom