• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    I have a number of 30 cal. Plastic ammo cans that I use for storing my reloads. What size/how much desiccant should I place in each to keep the ammunition in storage for an extended period of time?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As long as you have decent, airtight seals, the seals and cans are in good condition, and you store them in a safe place away from moisture or damage, you probably won't really need dessicant at all.
    If you want a bit more piece of mind, these are the two options that look the most promising, both from a price and usability aspect:

Hydrosorbent Silica Gel Desiccant Dehumidifier 40 Gram (Protects 3

Stack-On 10 Pack Silica Gel Desiccant Dehumidifier Packets (Protects

Both types can be regenerated by putting them in an oven after their moisture indicators indicate that they're saturated.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have never used desiccant. I admit it. Does anybody who uses desiccant ever put some on a shelf in the room where they plan to store ammo to see if it absorbs any moisture?

Just curious.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I've used the crap out of desiccant.

Does it really matter? I don't know. As said above, if you're storing in cans with good seals in a relatively dry place, it's probably overkill. I put it in there for the peace of mind but I wouldn't feel bad not having it in there either. Leaving it outside in the garage or burying it or something, I'd probably just drop one of the pouches (1 unit for .30cal, maybe 4 unit for .50cal and bigger) in it and not worry about it any more.

I also place a pouch (4 unit) on each shelf and in the safe. So far, no issues. I got desiccant for free from work so I figured I'd toss it in there for S&Gs. If I had to pay for it, I wouldn't have desiccant in any of my cans.

A guy I know who works for a major ammo manufacturer said commercial spec ammo is good in a cool, dry can for 20+ years with no special considerations. Mil spec stuff is 50+. Our military stores ammo in some of the harshest environments in the world and the only containers it uses desiccant pouches in is electronics stuff.

Use it if you have it. Buy it if it's cheap or your place is especially moist. Other than that.... don't worry about it.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Yes, my desiccant works. It's the stuff Duke uses to fill transformers with. It also carries a mil spec number on the can.

I never ver gave much thought about desiccant until I spent a few years instructing for a program that DEVOURED .22. A lot of the .22 would burn inconsistently (you could both see and smell it) and folks had issues with misfires. I spitballed some ideas with a guy and ended up making rechargeable packs using shoal cans with small holes punched in the lids and desiccant. I would take bricks of federal automatch and rem golden bullet and put themin an ammo can with desiccant for a couple weeks or a month. When I checked obit the desiccant was so effective that it would dry out the cardboard packaging. I also saw dramatically better consistency in the ammo and put up many groups with golden bullet that folks didn't believe possible. The best example was a Sheriffs deputy called one night to ask about hang fires. He claimed to have a brick of ammo that had been in his cruiser for several years. He claimed that about 20% of the time he would squeeze the trigger and the round would wait a second or two to go off. I actually didn't believe him but he came over and I ran a mag through his 10-22 and, sure enough, it hung the third shot. It is my guess that all the freeze, thaw, and hit and humid fouled the primer/powder. I swapped him mini mags for his crud and boxed it with desiccant. Two months later it discharged without mishap over 100 test fires.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't have any in cans. I just use the Bullfrog hang up deal in the safe.

Cheap insurance and peace of mind for me.:twocents:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Whether you need desiccant really depends on the relative humidity in the room where the cans are. You should buy a cheap hygrometer (humidity gauge) and closely monitor the humidity. If it gets above 50% things can get damp. I used desiccant but finally bought a small de humidfier for the room where all the guns and ammo live. (and some old guitars) I keep the humidity down to 45% or less. It's cheap insurance. If you just open your safe for a minute on a humid day you will trap that air inside and lock it in. Control the whole room and keep the door closed.

Top Bottom