Ti comp pin and weld came out great.

20jssbb.jpg

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    People have been migging machine gun parts kit receivers for decades. Everything from Brens to DPM’s to galils to uzi’s to mg42’s etc. if done correctly with good penetration and solid welds, there is no issue.

I wouldn't say that and I've seen a bunch.
    I've seen first hand many times receivers crack along the weld lines.
    The bad news is it cracked, the good news is it was welded & can be welded again, if the crack was found before the receiver hammered apart or twisted/stretched.
    Lots of slab siders welded back together, not as critical as when a heat treated receiver was torched/sawed and welded.
    Sheet metal tears out quite often, but since welded are 'Toys' and not combat weapons, it's not as critical. I don't consider some collectors 'Toy' to be 'Life Support Equipment' like an actual combat soldiers weapon is.

In decades of gunsmithing I've found very little use for anything but a TIG welder, and that's infrequent.
    Not enough to build skills unless it's a manufacturers production line.
    I just get the guy that has the skills to do the welding on the rare occasions it's needed.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Tig welding (and in some instances even soldering) are very useful gunsmithing skills and used often. At least in the 1911 world it's the go to for slide/frame fitting, one piece magwells, affixing checkered inserts for botched frame checkering, cracked frames etc. It's a skill not many have though, even most of your top 1911 guys subcontract it out to guys like Jim Milks and a few others.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I watched an instructor of mine in the Marine Corps. use an oxygen/acetylene torch to weld two pieces of aluminum foil together.
    He stood the aluminum "plates" up in a corner and used a strip of foil he fashioned into a rod as filler.

He ended up with a beautiful, straight, and even bead.
    I've used a lot of torches in my time. I've welded my fair share of automotive frames, farm equipment, sheet metal, and much, more, more, but I don't think I'll ever match that instructor.

Top Bottom