How Much Do The Tapco Folding AK Stocks Suck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This all depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're going to be using it for a range queen to take out on a sunny day and show your friends when they come over then it's probably perfect. If you're going to crawl in the mud under barbed wire or train really hard with it, then probably not so much. For the normal guy out there this stock is just fine if that's what you want.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you're going to take out on a sunny day and show your friends when they come over then it's probably perfect.

You should add: if you want them to make fun of you and your wife to ask for a divorce.

Kudos on the milled TT

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Thanks. It's an SA93 Bulgarian Arsenal. My plan originally was to de-ban it (lower tang / gas block / sight / thread the barrel / receiver mounted sling swivel), but it would be awful easy to just buy the single tang IWD stock and roll with it. Especially since the inside of the receiver doesn't have the recess already in it for the lower tang.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i had one break after my ak tumbled out of a tree stand while coyote hunting. i had the goofy folding one, it landed butt down on it and it busted right off, i would buy a better stock if you intend to use it for anything remotely ruff. if i had to have a folding stock i would probably pick a ace or a triangle folder( if they fit???)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    i had one break after my ak tumbled out of a tree stand while coyote hunting. i had the goofy folding one, it landed butt down on it and it busted right off, i would buy a better stock if you intend to use it for anything remotely ruff. if i had to have a folding stock i would probably pick a ace or a triangle folder( if they fit???)

Not if the rifle is configured for a standard fixed stock. The rear trunnion would need to be replaced, as well as modifications to the receiver and installation of the front catch.
    The easiest (and best in my opinion) would be a surplus wire folder such as a Romanian, E. German, or Polish. Personally, I prefer the Romanian (lever style, not button) because it utilizes the same 2 screws a fixed stock does rather than the grip nut

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Simple answer is ALMOST as bad as their magazines, but someone here has probably got a tapco mag with 6 bazillion rounds through it with no failures?

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Russian2.jpg

Honestly, I would go for the Russian style side folding stock like either on the Ak century series, or the rock solid skeletal steel model like the soviet union had on the Paratrooper models
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...bly-ak-47-ak-74-stamped-receivers-steel-matte

Like in the movie 9 Rota about the Russian paratroopers in Afghanistan, the Kalash is supposed to be a weapon of Iron and steel, not crapco aluminum and plastic. To me, all the "tatical" plastic furniture just ruins the feel and the look of the rifle.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    \

Honestly, I would go for the Russian style side folding stock like either on the Ak century series, or the rock solid skeletal steel model like the soviet union had on the Paratrooper models
    Arsenal Inc. Side Folding AKS-74 Style Busttstock Assembly AK-47 AK-74

Like in the movie 9 Rota about the Russian paratroopers in Afghanistan, the Kalash is supposed to be a weapon of Iron and steel, not crapco aluminum and plastic. To me, all the "tatical" plastic furniture just ruins the feel and the look of the rifle.

The stocks in your link work alright, but they look awfully weird compared to the real ones that rivet in.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Trust me there is nuthing cheap about russian plastics AKA "polyamide", even Russian AG4 fiberglass is stronger than any crapco, magpull, utg product.
    Im currently using 74 poly plum on my sgl, but once my 104 yes polymer folder gets here this rifle is gonna be super bad ass and yes in Russian polyamide :):

why
    because its lighter, and as strong as steel, hence the switch from steel mags and bayo's to polymer

and its proper for a 104 series AK47

So op, what rifle are you using? I would love to give an opinion on what should belong on your AK:draw:

and for others dont get the durability of Russian polymers confused with the plastic mirth from magpul, tapco, utg, etc.

Last edited:

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Not if the rifle is configured for a standard fixed stock. The rear trunnion would need to be replaced, as well as modifications to the receiver and installation of the front catch.
    The easiest (and best in my opinion) would be a surplus wire folder such as a Romanian, E. German, or Polish. Personally, I prefer the Romanian (lever style, not button) because it utilizes the same 2 screws a fixed stock does rather than the grip nut

The lever style uses the grip screw threaded block, the push button uses the two stock screws.

EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I currently have a Maadi RML in the classifieds that isn't getting a lot of bites so i had considered keeping it and tacticooling out:facepalm: I know I know. I was looking at. Bonesteel folders the other day. Look pretty solid. Anyone seen one up close? Trying to keep the stock US made for compliance reasons.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The lever style uses the grip screw threaded block, the push button uses the two stock screws.

Correct in regards to Polish and E. German, but the lever Romanian folders (at least the multiple ones I've owned) mount to the 2 holes in the rear tang. Not that it matters, either will work fine in a standard configured AK.

If I were wanting a folding stock for a Maadi, I'd go with a crutch. That paired with a blue grip, and you've got a really sharp rifle. That said, I'm a bit of purist. Does yours have the Arabic scrypt on the front trunnion? Always thought those were cool.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    traderator,
    That's interesting. I've never seen a Romanian lever folder. I believe the one I have is Polish. And it's a pain in the butt to switch. I gave a friend one of the Romanian push button ones so he would have a decent folding stock that would be easy to change.
    Outside of the synthetic left side folder I agree that the crutch is the most comfortable. The under folder leaves a lot to be desired, the triangular 74 type isn't much better, and the AMD 65 type is a cruel joke.
    Best Regards from a Fellow Purist

Top Bottom