• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    While answering another post it occured to me that my AR is, IMO, a lard a$$. Once the family gets up, I'm going to weigh a few weapons (with loaded mags) and post the results with pics so people can see what a given gun with accessories weighs. This is assuming that my bathroom scale is up to the task. At any rate, I'd be interested in what other people's weigh as well.

Break out your scales!

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    My scales are worthless to the point that I should just pitch them, so I can't help you there.
    But I see where you're coming from. Add a bunch of accessories, especially when combined with a 16" M4 profile barrel, and you no longer have a lightweight weapon.
    My favorite 16" carbine has a lightweight pencil barrel. I replaced the M4 handguards with CAR handguards. It does't have an optic. In fact all I have for a rear sight is the Matech that came with the gun.
    The only thing I've actually added to the gun is a good sling.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I've never really weighed it but by the vast length and sheer thickness of it i would have to say that it weighs in pretty heavy...:D

OHHH....your talking about AR's....in that case, I dont have one so i cant help you there, all i can say is my AK feels like i'm carrying around a bag of bricks...

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Drats! Our scale sucks! It fluctuates too much to be meaningful. It won't weigh a rifle by itself. I weighed myself and then again with the rifle x3, I got different #'s every time... the spread was 4 pounds.

I guess I'll look to harbor frieght for a cheap-o scale....

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Digital scale

The digital bathroom scale says my 24" varminter with scope and empty magazine weighs in at 11.5 lbs! It's a bench gun! Weighed just the gun then weighed myself with and without the gun and got the same result.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    After dressing it up, a lot more! I figure if you handle it enough and practice enough, it's what you are used to.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Didn't weigh them with a loaded mag, but since the mag would weigh the same in all the rifles, it can be added in later. I use USGI mags exclusively.

My Pencil barrel with light weight Ace stock weighs in at 6 pounds 6 ounces.
    My Rock River Tactical Entry is 7 lbs 1 oz
    Rock River CMP competition Standard A2 style rifle, 9 lbs 12 oz without the weights.
    And my M4gery tips the expensive digital fish scale at 6 lbs 10 oz.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    OK, here's my methodology. (1) JBL speaker (12" with horn, FWIW) weighed 49.6 lbs. I measured it 10 times in a row with no deviation. I then laid the firearm to be weighed across the speaker and set both on the scale. Then I did it again. Then I weighed the speaker again to confirm the scale's "zero." After I had weighed all the guns, I weighed a couple again to see if there were any changes; there weren't. While the numbers may not be accurate in absolute terms, they ARE consistent across the measured guns.

Bulgy AK-74, wood furniture, 30 rounds of surplus 5.45x39 in ((10)) mag; 8.4 lbs

DSCF0427.jpg

RRA M4 "Entry Tactical", EoTech on LaRue, Fenix TK 12 in Leupold ring, UTG rail, Troy rear sight, GG&G gas block/sight, MOE pistol grip w/2 CR123 batteries, MS2 sling, VTAC sling mount, UTG VFG w/1 CR123 (not pictured), 30 rounds of 5.56 in Colt USGI mag; 10.6 lbs

Saiga 12, MOE stock on Vltor tube, Chaos Extended rail w/HK sights, MI sling mount, Ergo grip, Magpul AFG, OEM mag w/5 Hornady TAP buckshot; 10.8 lbs

PB123012.jpg

Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 (empty), Nikon 3-9x40, Leupold rings and bases, sling; 9.2 lbs

PA100732.jpg

Maverick 500 w/5 rounds TAP buck, 40mm RDS, cheap-o plastic mount; 7.4 lbs

P1091058.jpg

Marlin 1895G .45-70 (empty), XS Scout rail, Bushnell 1.75-4x32 scope, leather sling; 8.6 lbs

1895G-in-45-70.jpg

Savage 12FCV .223 (empty), Millett TRS-1 8-16x50, Burris Xtreme rings (low), Weaver base, Harris bipod; 12.4 lbs

P6232669.jpg

Draco, Ultimak, P.A. RDS, QD sling with cup, Hogue grip, 30 rounds; 8.2 lbs. 75 round drum; 11.4 lbs.

DSCF0313.jpg

That's about what I expected.... any thoughts?

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Didn't weigh them with a loaded mag, but since the mag would weigh the same in all the rifles, it can be added in later. I use USGI mags exclusively.

My Pencil barrel with light weight Ace stock weighs in at 6 pounds 6 ounces.
    My Rock River Tactical Entry is 7 lbs 1 oz
    Rock River CMP competition Standard A2 style rifle, 9 lbs 12 oz without the weights.
    And my M4gery tips the expensive digital fish scale at 6 lbs 10 oz.

So I have approximately 3 lbs of "fat" on my (loaded) RRA :rolleyes:

Can you please weigh a loaded 30 round mag with your *****in' fish scale?

Last edited:

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    yep, I measured w/ a 30 rounder AND the 75 round drum.

I wouldn't really care what it weighs, once you get used to it, it wont bother you. Just remember if SHTF the heavier it is the better it will hold up when you crack someone over the head with it!!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    My AR is 9.1 lbs loaded w/ surefire flashlight, aimpoint + mount, full 12 inch rail, VG, UBR stock etc.

But more importantly its perfectly balanced. Balance means more than total weight.

I dont find 9.1 to be obscene to be honest, its pretty easy to lug around.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    My current choice hunting implement is a Kimber 84M Montana in 243AI, Leupold 6x42 in Talley LWs. 6.3 lbs all up, with a belly full of rounds.

I've flirted with hunting with ARs before, but since my lightest is around 1.5 lbs heavier, it never sticks.

Last edited:

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I am done with all of those worthless add ons.If you ever pay attention the people who really use ar-15s on duty dont bother with a bunch of crap that doesn't improve what the gun is used for.Before you ask yes i did have one all decked out and weighed near 12 pounds and didn't shoot any better.All these add ons are a big scam to take alot of your money for something you will never use and aint worth crap after you buy it.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    I am done with all of those worthless add ons.If you ever pay attention the people who really use ar-15s on duty dont bother with a bunch of crap that doesn't improve what the gun is used for.Before you ask yes i did have one all decked out and weighed near 12 pounds and didn't shoot any better.All these add ons are a big scam to take alot of your money for something you will never use and aint worth crap after you buy it.

AHHHH so this is yours

tacticoolAR15.jpg

Top Bottom