How much more will you pay to support a LGS that allows carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How much more will you pay for a shop that allows carry?

• Total voters

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    3C0jHfr.png

Gun owners lose their crap when any other business posts a "No Guns" sign. Why do gun stores get a free pass?

BW3
    Chuck E Cheese
    Applebees
    TGI Friday
    Hooters
    Broad Ripple Pub

Just to name a few.

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    I was actually discussing a related issue on another forum in specific regard to KCR, which bans carrying (@ least on the firing line).
    We often rail against business establishments that disallow carry, yet nothing is said about gun shops & ranges that also ban it. It's somewhat odd. Ranges should be the biggest proponent of ccw. Safety is one thing. But a safe environment can be made without restricting carry. If we concede that ranges & shops should ban carrying for safety, how can we logically argue that we should be able to carry in parks, restaurants & movie theaters?

Yes, I understand there are some idiots who take out their loaded carry gun at a shop or range to show it to the salesman, but a rule crafted against these people could be more narrowly tailored.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have three shops that I routinely buy from and I try as best as I can to spread the business between them. One shop has a "No Firearms, no exceptions" sign. I've never paid much attention to it, assuming it's there for insurance reasons. If I were ever to be chastised for carrying there, I'd have only two gun shops I'd spread my purchases between, but would be on the lookout for a new third one.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Thank you

Sign?:dunno:

If I'm buying a holster or for some other reason feel compelled to remove it from it's rightful place, I unload prior to entering. Else, it stays put and loaded.

I personlly don't care if you are carrying in the shop or not but:
    This is the main basis for a lot of the signs. I really get tired of the goofs that bring a firearm to trade or get a holster for and point a loaded weapon at me. I have on more than one occasion considered drawing down on them or charging them with pointing a firearm (Felony)

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    I would not pay a premium, but would give the carry-friendly shop first opportunity to sell the item, all else being equal.

I will be armed in either case, so the question is a non-issue. What sign?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Why would I reward a shop for using common sense?

Seems more logical to punish the shops who don't use common sense by not spending my money there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I personlly don't care if you are carrying in the shop or not but:
    This is the main basis for a lot of the signs. I really get tired of the goofs that bring a firearm to trade or get a holster for and point a loaded weapon at me. I have on more than one occasion considered drawing down on them or charging them with pointing a firearm (Felony)

I have seen this and I understand.
    Keep it holstered unless you need to use it.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    It's their property, they can set whatever rules they wish. Personally, I would buy at the shop with the best price, because selling people a means to protect themselves and their families, at a reasonable price, is what really matters. That's the reason Hi Point is in business, not everybody has 400-1000 bucks for a weapon. As long as it goes bang, what does it matter how much it cost.

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Seriously folks.

You guys sound like a tesla video.

Here is my take.

Posting the sign may or may not reduce the premium. However, if some jack ass comes in and shoots himself/herself in the foot (or worse someone else) I want to point to the sign to keep said jack ass from taking me to court. It comes down to being proactive in saving ones ass rather than be reactive to a jack ass sitting on the other side of a courtroom trying to take my hard earned cash. Or even worse being uninsurable. How many "hey I was in a gun shop today and some guy grazed me" posts are there on ingo?

One of my favorite signs. I have yet been asked if I have had the runs before entering the pool. Nor has anyone questioned me as to my lack of pre-swim shower.
    B09C315D-BAE5-4055-85DD-185D788CDD85-17160-000004685223FC78_zpsaa34e863.jpg

At what price do I shop somewhere else? If I were to carry into a shop that had a sign and the owner/employee verbally abused me for it. Even at that point I would probably apologize and his/her actions afterwards would determine my future business. Guns are only as safe as the person behind them. My guess is most places with such signs choose to ignore it as long as it doesen't become an issue. If I owned a gun store I would have the sign up. My internal policy with employees would be: If you see a loaded weapon ask the person kindly to make it safe. Do not ask a customer if a holstered weapon is loaded. Assume that they saw the sign. If a situation occurs that is unsafe you handle it or get a manager.
    ^^^this is how have a policy in effect and still cover your ass. If a situation arises the insurance carrier/opposing attorney always asks "is the policy enforced." I would be able to say yes in my above scenario.

You find a gun store that has a 2 week waiting period for having the runs and I will take my business elsewhere.

Last edited:

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I always carry in a gun shop. Their employees carry....why are they entitled and I'm not? If they don't like it....I'd take my business elsewhere. The same with any restaurants, doctors, dentists, etc...etc...

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've never been in a gun shop and not carried. No one has ever said a word to me about, nor have i ever seen any other customer asked to show their holstered carry gun was clear.

On the other hand, I've seen more than one person pull a gun out of a bag and sweep multiple people before asking the guy behind the counter how they'll buy it for.

The way I understand gun shop etiquette, holster = no problem, anything else should be locked open. Is there a gun shop that really asks people to unholster their carry guns. Please tell me so I know not to go there.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The way I understand gun shop etiquette, holster = no problem, anything else should be locked open. Is there a gun shop that really asks people to unholster their carry guns. Please tell me so I know not to go there.

Popguns told me to exit and remove my magazine before re-entering. Cabela's ejected me outright for carrying.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Popguns told me to exit and remove my magazine before re-entering. Cabela's ejected me outright for carrying.

Then, I would smile, and say see you later, and turn around, and go to ITP, or Bradis, or BGF, or PSS, and spend some money there..... Aren't you the guys, that hand out the cards, that say, NO guns= No MONEY ????? :dunno:

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I'm also in the crowd that carries regardless. I don't look for signs at a gun shop or any other place of business, and if I'm told I'm not welcome as is, I'll leave peacefully and take my money elsewhere.

Top Bottom