• AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    AllenM,
    I typically run lightweight synthetic oil during the Summer (i.e 5-30) and something with lighter viscosity in the winter (Benelli oil, 0 weight oil, etc.). The biggest mistake I see is people adding too much to the wrong parts on their 1911 / 2011. I'd recommend a bottle like this:

NEEDLE OILER BOTTLES - Brownells

With the slide off, I add a drop to each rail, a drop to my guide rod, and a drop to the disconnector. With the slide back on, I add a drop to the area of the barrel where the bushing contacts, and a drop to the barrel hood as close as I can get to the lugs. That's it. With these needle oiler bottles you can get a lot smaller drops too, so you're using the absolute minimum. Using too much (especially in conjunction with powder that doesn't get burned all the way / leaves residue) can result in black goo everywhere. When adding oil properly and shooting a clean burning load, I can get several thousand rounds through my gun without having to even take the slide off the frame.

If you'd like to see what I'm talking about in person, catch me at the next FNS and I'd be happy to show you how I do it.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

I appreciate that, just so happens I have some of those bottles in my closet. Not sure why I wasn't using them.

Top Bottom