How much to cut down a barrel and recrown?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I pulled a boneheaded maneuver this week and messed up the tip of the barrel of one of my .22 pistols I just bought. I don't want to go in to it as its not a proud moment...but I need to cut about a 1/8" off the barrel and recrown it.

How much to have a gunsmith fix my error? Its a .22 semi auto pistol that the barrel is threaded(if the thread disappears I'm not too worried about it, I don't care if I put a suppressor on this gun in the future).

Just looking at a ballpark cost.

Thanks

rdavis006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I am looking to have a 1911 barrel cut and ground. After a little research looks like you can expect to pay 50 to 75 for it

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Depends on the gun. Where's the sight located? Will the sight need to be re-located?

All's said and done, you're looking anywhere from 75-100 in my shop depending on the sight location.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Sight is just behind the threads so it won't have to be moved. Thanks for the ballpark! Off to find a gunsmith as this is cheaper than trying to buy the tool myself and doing it.

Anyone know of a gunsmith in the Edinburgh/Columbus/Seymour area? I believe Bite the Bullet has one on 'retainer'...that is planned to be my first stop.

Thanks!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have a Manson Crowning kit I might loan someone. The kit has a .30 caliber and .22 arbor with it.

Top Bottom