How much would an AK cost with a free market?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm very curious to this. Even in the last few years the price has doubled from ~$300 to $600 plus for your standard fixed stock AKM.

I'm wondering how little it would cost without some of the government interference. The foreign barrel import ban adds $100 alone to each AK constructed to US compliance.

Don't forget 922r adding a variable cost. Gas piston $15, US stock sets $30 to $160, Tapco trigger group $40, US made magazines $15, US made receiver $100, US made barrel $100.

For arguments sake, let's say that the NFA still applies.

I see it as within our power to repeal 922r, the barrel ban, and other "lesser" firearms laws. Let's see what that would do to prices if we could. I imagine the Romanian factories could churn them out very cheaply in a semi-auto configuration if we could import them directly with 100% foreign parts and labor. The Chinese could do it even cheaper.

If NFA were gone they'd be ridiculously cheap, but I really don't see that one going away any time soon. Could just import them straight out of military stores full auto and all at that point.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All you need is a pile of cash to pay a law/lobby firm in dc to make that dream come true.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If one had the means, I would think a walk through a Somali weapons market could probably get you one for under a hundred.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If one had the means, I would think a walk through a Somali weapons market could probably get you one for under a hundred.

That's the price I have seen being reported in most African countries for a full-auto AK, around $100, ammo included.
    The same gun once it got into Europe can be worth $2000 or more.Probably double that if you buy it in the UK.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    My thoughts. A large firm could easily buy AKs in Eastern Africa for $50, refurbish with cheap second or third world labor, and ship back to the US. Sell for $150 and make a killing.

I think it would stay like that for a while, but if they were that cheap I think the national thirst for them would be nigh unquenchable. Heck, I'd end up buying five or six at that price. We'd have to tap successively more expensive supplies in Central Africa, Southern Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Northern Africa, and other regions.

Who knows how long that would take though. Lowest estimates say there are 70 million AKs in the world, most estimate it at closer to 100 million.

The fact that basic AKs are $600 in the United States is mind boggling to me. There really is no good reason they should be that high.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Yes, real AK/AKM in all their variants are very inexpensive. In the sandbox I have heard of them selling for a chicken and a loaf of bread. Literally a dime a dozen. The only reason the things we have (with minor exceptions I hate calling them true AKs or AKMs) are so expensive is the unconstitutional laws and bans on them. In a true free market they would be a ton less dollars.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My thoughts. A large firm could easily buy AKs in Eastern Africa for $50, refurbish with cheap second or third world labor, and ship back to the US. Sell for $150 and make a killing.

I think it would stay like that for a while, but if they were that cheap I think the national thirst for them would be nigh unquenchable. Heck, I'd end up buying five or six at that price. We'd have to tap successively more expensive supplies in Central Africa, Southern Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Northern Africa, and other regions.

Who knows how long that would take though. Lowest estimates say there are 70 million AKs in the world, most estimate it at closer to 100 million.

The fact that basic AKs are $600 in the United States is mind boggling to me. There really is no good reason they should be that high.

Basic AKs are NOT $600 in the US, you're talking about a semi-auto version only made for the US market.
    A real and legal AK in the US is more like $15 000+.
    There is no reason for an AK to be semi-auto only besides legal reasons.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's the price I have seen being reported in most African countries for a full-auto AK, around $100, ammo included.
    The same gun once it got into Europe can be worth $2000 or more.Probably double that if you buy it in the UK.

You are correct. Many people here are leaving the "market" out of the "free market" analysis. It's not just about what it sells for, it's about what people are willing to pay. To me, this means a guy would be an idiot for selling a $100 AK here even if he could make a profit at that price. People are willing willing to pay a lot more.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You are correct. Many people here are leaving the "market" out of the "free market" analysis. It's not just about what it sells for, it's about what people are willing to pay. To me, this means a guy would be an idiot for selling a $100 AK here even if he could make a profit at that price. People are willing willing to pay a lot more.

People are only willing to pay more for them due to supply and demand economics. If the supply wasn't artificially kept low, prices would also be low and $100 could very well yield a great profit margin. If there was no 1934 NFA, no 1968 GCA and no 1986 ban this country would be flooded with them, with the resulting prices being more like what they should be.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Same price as they are now (semi-auto), about $600.

Welcome to the 'law of supply and demand'. More than our 'share' of gougers in this country, likely right in your area, maybe right here on INGO. High-ballers and low-ballers, got 'em right here on this forum. Why would that change even if the laws did?

Will *I* pay $600 for an AK semi-auto? Nope, 'cause I don't need one now. For those that bought 'em years ago, they were a bargain, as were .30 M1's, M14's / M1A's, FN-FAL's, AR's, and so forth. And 'curiously', they last for decades. :D

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Same price as they are now (semi-auto), about $600.

Welcome to the 'law of supply and demand'. More than our 'share' of gougers in this country, likely right in your area, maybe right here on INGO. High-ballers and low-ballers, got 'em right here on this forum. Why would that change even if the laws did?

Will *I* pay $600 for an AK semi-auto? Nope, 'cause I don't need one now. For those that bought 'em years ago, they were a bargain, as were .30 M1's, M14's / M1A's, FN-FAL's, AR's, and so forth. And 'curiously', they last for decades. :D
    You see, I don't think they would be that high. There are a whole slew of laws that artificially raise the price above market value (as has been stated). Sure, people will pay $600 now, but if a firm could undercut competition by selling cheaper AKs they would. Look how prices went down after the panic. People were willing to pay $1200 for a WASR, but as supply increased and demand lessened the price dropped. Between two identical objects people will gravitate to the lowest price. So how do you get sales? Have the lowest price. Problem is our system has artificially set a higher minimum price.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    During the Bosnia conflict in the Balkans, we had dealings with people in countries like Albania. We did some visits around the country. They were making AKs in their barns with low level machine tools for about $17.50 a piece. The RPG-7 was being made for about $51 each and the rounds about $7 each.

BTW, they made a very simple landmine using Semtex that cost $3 to make.

In Afghanistan they made AKs and other weapons using foot powered lathes. Cost was very, very reasonable.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    During the Bosnia conflict in the Balkans, we had dealings with people in countries like Albania. We did some visits around the country. They were making AKs in their barns with low level machine tools for about $17.50 a piece. The RPG-7 was being made for about $51 each and the rounds about $7 each.

BTW, they made a very simple landmine using Semtex that cost $3 to make.

In Afghanistan they made AKs and other weapons using foot powered lathes. Cost was very, very reasonable.

and quality is crap ;)

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    WASRs are going for $500 new now (Centerfire has them for that). I think the bottom fell out of the AK market too. The AR market collapsed late last year, with new (low end) ARs going for $500 or $600.

I don't think you'll ever get back to the rock bottom it hit a few years ago, with AKs going for $299, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the new floor dropping maybe as low as $450. Especially as we are starting to see some new build AKs imported, like the Zatsava, rather than guns built on parts kits (which were drying up anyway).

Top Bottom