• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Aren't you the same guy arguing above that the odds of needing to go more than a month without a resupply are almost 0? You eat 200lbs of uncooked rice in a month?

I said that I prepare for what’s plausible. I also have beans and other non perishables. I hope I never need them. You’re also assuming that I’m just feeding myself. I think I have enough food for 2 months on a pretty bland diet.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Mylar bags, O2 absorber and 5 gallon bucket and rice should be good for eons. we splurge and get Jasmine rice. We like it more.

next task is figuring out how to store spices we use the most of. And find salt for cheap. hoping sugar goes on sale again.

Storage is starting to get to be an issue.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    More than storing or putting up, if serious about survival food supply, we should change our habits.

Hobbies and recreation that puts food in the pantry cost little and enrich lives. Be it gardening, hunting, fishing to raising chickens and bunnies, a working knowledge of how is critical.

Because you own a fishing rod, rifle or shovel, doesn't make you a harvester with any of these tools.

Do you own and run your dehydrator, Foodsaver and canners every harvest season? Do you fill your freezers with every seasonal food opportunity?

I am learning. Gardens did well this year. Goal is to double it next year. Need to do better fishing. learned to can this season.

byt learning takes time and failures. Want to be prepared to get through those times.

Good job dprimm. Bwframe has been on the ball in this area for a while now. Storing food/water is an excellent prep. Having the skills/tools to create and preserve food and clean water on an on-going basis is next level and recommended. You might want to consider chickens/rabbits/quail for protein production. People having a "survival can" of vegetable seeds thinking that is all they need are in for a rude surprise if they ever actually need it.

If you haven't been practicing it, but sure to rotate and consume what you store. I made that mistake early on, but learned that canned food often lasts well beyond their "best by" date if needed.

Mylar bags, O2 absorber and 5 gallon bucket and rice should be good for eons. we splurge and get Jasmine rice. We like it more.

next task is figuring out how to store spices we use the most of. And find salt for cheap. hoping sugar goes on sale again.

The same basic process will store spices- protect from light and O2. Unfortunately, they don't store nearly as long as rice, salt and sugar.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I said that I prepare for what’s plausible. I also have beans and other non perishables. I hope I never need them. You’re also assuming that I’m just feeding myself. I think I have enough food for 2 months on a pretty bland diet.

You certainly could have a giant family... Assuming you're feeding the Brady Bunch, including Alice, you have about 70lbs of cooked rice per person. If you fire the housekeeper and Cindy and Bobby were too slow to get in the bunker, you have around 100lbs/ea plus other supplies. This appears radically in contrast to your stated goal, even at 2 months.

Or I'm not understanding your thoughts at all.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    And find salt for cheap. hoping sugar goes on sale again.

I may get flack for this as well, but I also ordered a #10 of salt from the same guys last night sealed the same way for about the same price ~$2/lb.

They have sugar the same way too.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    You certainly could have a giant family... Assuming you're feeding the Brady Bunch, including Alice, you have about 70lbs of cooked rice per person. If you fire the housekeeper and Cindy and Bobby were too slow to get in the bunker, you have around 100lbs/ea plus other supplies. This appears radically in contrast to your stated goal, even at 2 months.

Or I'm not understanding your thoughts at all.

LOL. You did make me smirk.

I probably didn't consider that once cooked will stretch much further...That was probably by accident because I 1) Don't eat rice on the regular. 2) Bought a ton because it was cheap and this was during lockdowns as well.

That being said I don't think I want to live off just rice and beans only, but as it turns out, if I have to I should have plenty. I just checked online to see how many servings were in a 20 lb bag and it claims 202. That's about 5x what I estimated my needs on :):

So yeah I 100% contradicted my statement based solely on that lol. For some reason I was thinking I was only going to get around 40-50 servings per bag (20#) so I bought plenty.

But alas, better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. I am almost certain I will never eat this rice...lol....but I guess it will be a blessing in disguise if I do need it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    LOL. You did make me smirk.

I probably didn't consider that once cooked will stretch much further...That was probably by accident because I 1) Don't eat rice on the regular. 2) Bought a ton because it was cheap and this was during lockdowns as well.

That being said I don't think I want to live off just rice and beans only, but as it turns out, if I have to I should have plenty. I just checked online to see how many servings were in a 20 lb bag and it claims 202. That's about 5x what I estimated my needs on :):

So yeah I 100% contradicted my statement based solely on that lol. For some reason I was thinking I was only going to get around 40-50 servings per bag (20#) so I bought plenty.

But alas, better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. I am almost certain I will never eat this rice...lol....but I guess it will be a blessing in disguise if I do need it.

That was the goal! :cool:

Now you understand why I was so confused though, especially in a thread where the OP specifically asked how much he needs, with at least a partial implication of "how much is too much?". Then you basically said (across 2 posts) "Not much... Right about 1/4 ton of rice will get you by in a pinch". :laugh:

I strongly agree with your final point, but in the case of the original topic where weight, space, etc is concerned my personal opinion is that you may be overdoing it. I think a 1/2-1lb of cooked rice is plenty per person per day as a "meal stretcher". Despite the valid criticisms of what I actually bought, a #10 of rice loosely represents 3-4 weeks of that plan per person. 4 cans? 4 people for a month or 4 month for one people. Easy-peasy.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I may get flack for this as well, but I also ordered a #10 of salt from the same guys last night sealed the same way for about the same price ~$2/lb.

They have sugar the same way too.

time and stress are to be valued as well. Doing what you did got you there quickly and low stress. Not gonna knock that. My stress from the extra $ outlay would really offset the got it done Stress reduction.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    That was the goal! :cool:

Now you understand why I was so confused though, especially in a thread where the OP specifically asked how much he needs, with at least a partial implication of "how much is too much?". Then you basically said (across 2 posts) "Not much... Right about 1/4 ton of rice will get you by in a pinch". :laugh:

I strongly agree with your final point, but in the case of the original topic where weight, space, etc is concerned my personal opinion is that you may be overdoing it. I think a 1/2-1lb of cooked rice is plenty per person per day as a "meal stretcher". Despite the valid criticisms of what I actually bought, a #10 of rice loosely represents 3-4 weeks of that plan per person. 4 cans? 4 people for a month or 4 month for one people. Easy-peasy.

Yeah I believe I have 1600-2000 servings of rice now stored in 5 gallon food grade buckets with gamma seal lids :laugh: oh well....at least it won't go bad...I guess if I get a craving for rice I know where I've got it stored lol

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    time and stress are to be valued as well. Doing what you did got you there quickly and low stress. Not gonna knock that. My stress from the extra $ outlay would really offset the got it done Stress reduction.

It's exactly that too. Every time I thought of doing something like what it appears most here are doing the idea of gathering all of the supplies and organizing it all and everything else was just more daunting of a task than I wanted to take on. I don't want any preps to become a hobby, I want them to be a tool ready for use and that's it. Sorta seems to be different mindsets with different folks for a wide variety of reasons.

Yeah I believe I have 1600-2000 servings of rice now stored in 5 gallon food grade buckets with gamma seal lids :laugh: oh well....at least it won't go bad...I guess if I get a craving for rice I know where I've got it stored lol

Seems like a guy might be able to trade some of that for something he actually might want...?

I'll give you a 50rd box of 9 for all of it, but you have to deliver it. ;)

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I wish I could ask my great grandparents about this. They grew and raised almost everything they needed. Can’t even ask grandpa about it. This (how much) knowledge is getting lost quickly.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Keep in mind that a 'serving' is about 100 calories and a normal daily intake for an adult male is 2000-2500 calories if you're doing anything but sitting around all day. A pound of rice and a pound of beans equates to a 'day' of food. You could keep that up for a year and other than the cravings for anything that isn't rice and beans,......you'd come out at the end just fine.

Rice and beans(or my preferred peas)are just the cheap base nutritional needs. And pasta too. Those are the cheap and easy building blocks. Add cases and cases of soups and sauces to make meals.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I found a spreadsheet template online years ago that estimates how long your food and water stores will last based on the number of people, activity level, etc. based on your inventory and caloric properties that you input. I try and update it from time to time, just to see where we are at. We aim for 3 months for the household, but there’s no way to store that much water here. Agreed on the spices and we have some in Mylar bags sealed and in 5 gallon buckets along with other staples. We also keep the pantry and spice cabinet stocked pretty deep.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Simple formula.
    Jump in, do your homework, pray for understanding and guidance, do what He leads you to do no matter how unreal or inconvenient it seems.
    After all, you might think it's about you and it might be. But He might think it's about what you're going to do with what He provides.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I was talking with my friend Murphy, and he said that he passed a law that states that all your your preps are going to be useless because the situation that actually occurs is not going to be the situation that you were prepping for. ;)

Honestly, though, we try to prep as much as we can, but it's the things we don't plan for or miscalculate that are going to bite us in the butt. I'm sure many of you have read books and seen movies about SHTF. The Road is a good example of one of these movies. The Man probably had a box or two of ammo for his Model 10. When he was down to his last 3 rounds, I bet he wished he had bought more when it was cheap and available. Obviuosly, his food stores were low, which along with his low ammo stores, led to his wife sacrificing herself to ensure the survival of their son. You would think he could hunt and supplement his food stores, but everyone else is doing that too, so how well did that work out? Unless you have a taste for long pig, your options are going to be limited when virtually all local game has been harveted in a short period.

No matter how much you prep, are you going to be able to retain your preps? If you were forced out of your home for whatever reason, could you transport all your preps to a safer location? And how would you do that? What if the roads are impassable? Heck, could you manually transport the ammo you have, let alone all the guns, knives, food, medical, tools, etc. that you have reserved for a bug-in?

You make the best preps you can for what you forecast is going to happen, then you use your best and most effective prep, your mind, to adapt the way you've prepared to the situation that actually occurs.

In closing, I was talking with a guy once who told me he didn't need to prep for food, because he lives about 5 minutes from a major food retailer's distribution center, and him and his neighbor had already talked about raiding it if TSHTF. I asked him if he thought about other people having the same plan. He said he lived close enough that they'd be the first ones there. I remarked that he probably wouldn't have to fight his way into the warehouse, but had he considered that he might have to fight his way out? From the look on his face, I think I made a point.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom