• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndySKS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    LaPorte
    I clean mine every time I get done shooting. However, my wifes uncle thought I was should wait after 500 rnds through the shotgun instead of 100. Dunno, I just like the idea of putting all of my guns away clean. Thoughts?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Carry guns get cleaned weekly, or after shooting.

Other guns get cleaned and oiled monthly. .22s only get their bores cleaned when accuracy starts to degrade, because they just don't seem to shoot right until their bores are fouled after cleaning.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Rem 700 gets lightly cleaned after a range visit and more thoroughly after 200 rds or so.

Shotgun are mostly the same as the R700, but the smooth bore barrels will go a bunch of visits before the barrel gets it, rifled barrel get the R700 treatment.

The USP not very often, other than maybe a field strip and quick wipe of the parts with a patch that has been ever so slightly misted with oil.

Everything is wiped with an oiled rag after every visit or once a month.

No problems so far. Just that now, after I left an 870 behind the seat for a couple days and it started to rust a little, I make sure that the only time I leave a gun in the truck is my pistol when I bring it with me on the way to somewhere I can't carry(work usually), which is maybe 12 hours at the most.

I sure can craft a nice run-on sentence.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Every firearm I own gets a detailed field stripped cleaning after every use. My carry guns get a less detailed once-over and lube every couple of weeks to get rid of sweat and dust bunnies.

A firearm can malfunction if it is not properly maintained, but you cannot say the reverse... well, I suppose you could if you were into telling stories or passing along anecdotal gossip.

It is the stories of poor firearm maintenance and abuse that have kept me from buying a used firearm for years. Before the Internet, I thought most people cared for their firearms like I do.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    After every time shooting.

When I finally turn 21 and can buy a handgun to carry, I'll probably be tounching that one up every one or two weeks or so.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Wait, what? I'm confused.

You're supposed to clean your guns?

Ok, in all honesty, IMHO, people WAY over clean their firearms. I rarely clean mine. A wipe down with oil occasionally to protect the finish is all I do. A modern firearm doesn't need cleaned until it begins to malfunction or accuracy begins to deteriorate.

On carry guns, once a week seems to be quite often; but I can see working in a very dirty work environment may require this. On carry guns I won't really criticize much though because you can never be too cautious. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Just some examples:

I don't think I've cleaned my Sig 239 carry gun for AT LEAST a year, and every time I go to the range and shoot it, it goes bang just fine. (same goes for my Sig 229)

I haven't cleaned my Sig 556 rifle since I got it over 2 years ago and I easily have over 3k rounds through it. Its still shooting fine; don't even have to use the adverse gas setting yet.

Haven't cleaned my .308 rifle since the first couple times after it was broken in. I've had that for a year and probably have 3-400 rounds down range.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    This is a much debated topic. I usually clean mine after a hunt or a shoot. I have read material where Match Target Competetors never clean their equipment that they compete with. The mentality is that if its on don't go changing things by cleaning it. If it's not broke don't fix it kinda thing. I however, like the keep it clean and lubed so it don't get broke kinda mentality.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I typically clean my guns after each use. I don't clean my carry gun unless I shoot it. That said, I shoot it at the range about once a month (at least), so the dust bunny buildup isn't too bad.

I started not throughly cleaning my 10/22 just to see how long it could go. It went pretty well over the course of several trips to the range over several weeks and probably 1k rounds... Low and behold I started having some sudden and significant jamming problems as soon as I took it to FNS. Now I intend to return it to the standard cleaning schedule (i.e. after each shooting). First trip to the range after a good cleaning and it was running like a champ again.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    For my 22 rifles the bore gets cleaned at about 1500 rounds, the action at about 500 rounds. But, they get wiped down after every trip to the range.
    With my carry guns that is different. They get a good cleaning after every trip to the range or every two months, whichever comes first. Usually the range trip.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Carry guns get cleaned weekly, or after shooting.

Other guns get cleaned and oiled monthly. .22s only get their bores cleaned when accuracy starts to degrade, because they just don't seem to shoot right until their bores are fouled after cleaning.

Everyone knows you don't have to clean a Glock that often! :): I like the tradition of cleaning after shooting though. It's good to keep up good habits.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Everyone knows you don't have to clean a Glock that often! :): I like the tradition of cleaning after shooting though. It's good to keep up good habits.

True, you don't HAVE to clean any worthy carry gun that often. But it only takes 10 minutes, assuming it hasn't been shot, and makes me feel good :) Just gives me confidence that I've done all I can to keep the tool I trust to protect my family and myself in the best shape possible to do the job.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I see these "how often do you clean your gun" threads every so often. And usually I'm amazed at how many people don't clean their weapons after firing. I was taught you shoot it, you clean it. I clean my gun after firing usually the day of, it not the next day. I clean the guns in the safe once a month, I just like to check them and wipe them down. My carry gun I only clean once a month if I have not shot it.

Even if you are not concerned about ensuring operational availability gun's are a huge investment. I would freak if I found a spot of rust on any weapon I own. That is why I'm anal about cleaning. Ding's and normal wear are another thing, no big deal. But rust is an indication of lack of maintenance.:draw:

Top Bottom