• gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What does a "detail strip" consist of?
    I understand a "field strip" of a semi-auto pistol, I think. That would be removing the slide from the frame the guide rod and spring, barrel and whatever else a particular brand of pistol had in the slide of the pistol.

I have S&W revolvers and shoot them often.
    Stainless steel is my new best friend when it comes to cleaning what I shoot!
    Cleaning up a blued revolver takes twice the time as does the same gun in stainless.

And I don't take the side plate off the gun unless I'm replacing a part.
    I use an aerosol cleaner to spray into the frame, and after that dries a drop or two of Kroil in the topside and then clean the barrel cylinder and cylinder face as needed.

GGF

A detail strip to me is to take the firearm completely apart down to each piece. Then I soak it in cleaner for awhile, scrub,rinse, dry , lube and reassemble.

Like you, side plates don't come off unless I'm doing an action job. I've never had to replace a part in a revolver.:)

GGF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks!
    I've never stripped down every part of semi-auto.
    Well yes I did. I took a Ruger MKI apart back before Youtube and it was a train wreck for me to reassemble!:):

Only thing I can think of you might have to do is replace a hammer or trigger someday to fix pushoff in a revolver.
    Other than that I haven't either.
    I don't think I've ever done much inside a revolver other than to put in a Wolff Spring kit.

GGF

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    I don't shoot enough to need deep cleaning. I have detail stripped my 1911 on more than one occasion just because I can (it's fun).

The only time I truly detail stripped a gun down for cleaning was when I inherited an old colt revolver in bad shape. The trigger was 15+lbs in double action and everything was slow. Turns out the old oil solidified and slowed everything down from sitting in a closet for 30 years with no maintenance. Popped the side plate off, hosed it with gun cleaner, removed all the pieces to clean individually, lubed, and reassembled it. Trigger is now a more manageable 13lbs DA with a 5lb SA. Still shoots point of aim even with the pitted rifling.

And yes, I removed the side plate by rapping the grip frame and not prying it off.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've had some serious lint issues with my undershirts covering my EDC so recently I carried a gun for 3 months without removing it from the holster. I wanted to take it straight to the range and draw/fire to see if the lint hindered the Glock's performance. lol. No, it fired just fine not one hiccup. There was so much lint that my pistol looked like a family of spiders had built a home. Their web went up in a puff of smoke on the first mag. I may eventually want to check the striker channel for lint build up but for now I just do basic bore cleaning, aerosol clp in spots, and I'll clean the night sights

Porsche911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2015
    United States
    I'm so lazy when it comes to cleaning my toys. I do it only when I feel its necessary. I do try to clean my 1911 after every couple times out and I hardly every clean my Glocks. I shot probably 800 rounds through one of my Glocks and had zero issues. In fact, It has only had a eject issue twice. After I cleaned it, no more issues.

Top Bottom