How Often Do You Oil Your Home Protection Guns & Do You Keep Them Fully Loaded?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All of my defensive firearms get cleaned and oiled after they are shot at the range. Everything gets shot often enough that it doesn't go more than a couple months without cleaning.

OP, you need to actually shoot your home defense firearm. Buying a brand new gun and leaving it in the box or nightstand or whatever is no bueno, especially when you're talking about an...affordable product line. Not that the gun is bad, but you do need to be shooting it regularly to confirm functionality and you do need to be shooting some of your defensive ammo through it to make sure it cycles. The gun could have some kind of defect from the factory or other parts failure and you'd never know until you picked it up to defend yourself.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    All my weapons are defensive weapons in need. All get to the range for function checks and practice. As for how often you need to check them...it's not like the oil/grease is going to evaporate but over the years it may solidify. If it's been that long it's long past time to take them to the range and clean/lube them again.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've switched to using very sparing amounts of grease instead of oil. It helps a lot with sweat and heat from carrying the gun every day concealed. Seems to effectively last for ever, at least long enough to be fresh by the time I'm done with my regular practice regime.

All guns are always loaded.

If you're measuring this period of time in months, then you really need to rethink life choices, shooting is a perishable skill. If you shoot about the same every time you go, it's time to challenge yourself, and push until you fail. If you haven't shot a gun in more than a few months, then I would not trust your life to it or your own abilities to use it anymore.

How do you even know where your ammo is shooting if you've only ever had the same rounds in the gun since 2013? I don't want to be mean, but man that's irresponsible. If you have to use that gun in self defense, you have no idea where your point of impact is going to be. You need to practice with the ammo you carry, you don't want to kill someone you didn't intend to shoot.

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I keep mine fully loaded with Critical Duty. Keep shooting it to stay proficient, keep it clean and oiled.

Need to know that firearm like the back of your hand.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Also, everyone has their own way of doing things. You can get 10 different answers and none are wrong per-say. Personal preference. Now if you wanna have some fun in personal preference land, just ask if the s&w or glock can ever be as good as a 1911. Sit back and watch the show.

Heck, you might as well ask if a Ford is almost as good as a Mopar.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I use Nanolube on my weapons.
    All loaded. No safeties. Those not being EDC'ed are in a locked and alarmed vault with auto dispensing o.c. / cs gas canister system which is separate from the house defense system. I didn't skimp.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I sadly brought back a few of dad's guns from my visit to mom's house. (he passed 10 years ago) She hasnt wiped them down and now I'm fighting rust and other issues.

Ive got a long road ahead cleaning, de-rusting, and oiling. One shotgun stock is also in bad shape, but I'll put up a WTB for a new set. It was one my dad bought from a coworker, and it was his son's. It has his son's name engraved in the stock, so not upset that I need to replace it. I could probably recondition it, but given the engraving, I'll start over.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Depends on the lube you use. Some brands dry up with time. Some are better.

This is my concern with CLP or Remoil. After awhile, the liquid part had completely evaporated. I don't doubt that the coating of teflon provides protection against rust/corrosion, but I seriously wonder how much actual lubrication it provides in that state (compared to a good coating of oil/grease).

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    i'm down here in LA for vacation. Took ALL my FILs pre-WWII firearms, Lugers etc, out and inspected them. They haven't been touched in 2 years since I was down last. They were still in great condition due to the fact I had oiled them and inspected them before. Not a fingerprint or rust on any of them. Used some Slip2000 EWL on them then put them all away until the next time.

Bob

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My safe guns are lubricated every 6 months if needed. They all have loaded magazines and empty chambers. I don't like the idea of grabbing a rifle with its muzzle pointing up in a crowded area with a round in the chamber. If I have to get a rifle out of the safe I would expect to have enough time to chamber a round as well. The only gun I have out is my EDC pistol everything else is in the safe. I use Mpro7.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I sadly brought back a few of dad's guns from my visit to mom's house. (he passed 10 years ago) She hasnt wiped them down and now I'm fighting rust and other issues.

Ive got a long road ahead cleaning, de-rusting, and oiling. One shotgun stock is also in bad shape, but I'll put up a WTB for a new set. It was one my dad bought from a coworker, and it was his son's. It has his son's name engraved in the stock, so not upset that I need to replace it. I could probably recondition it, but given the engraving, I'll start over.

In the past year, I have picked up a couple old guns that I had to do some rust fighting. On places that had some minor pitting, I found using Rem oil with an old solid copper penny worked well to scrape off the rust. I have more recently discovered Outters rust remover. I've only used it on small spots of surface rust and it seems to do well removing it. Then I apply some Flitz polish. Seems to work, but someone else may have a better or more efficient way. Good luck

Top Bottom