• On average how often do you shoot?

• Total voters

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Dang I shoiuld shoot more. I've got steel pistol targets, a 100 yd range, and a 700 yd range at my house and only shoot 3 times a year. Just checking rifle zero and blowing off pistol ammo if a buddy wants to shoot. Used to shoot 1-2 times a week til ammo craze '14. I reload but pretty much just rifle/hunting ammo. Every once in a while i make sure I can hit what I'm aiming at...I should shoot more

Yes you should shoot more, or invite the rest of us over.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I've got a nice backyard range (varies from 100 to 1500 yards depending on if the crops are harvested or not), and I only shoot maybe 4-5 times per year. I'm more of a collector than a shooter, and I really want to build a stash of at least 1k rounds per caliber before I start shooting much. Don't want to get caught in the next ammo panic.

Now is the time to be buying, seems like everything but rimfire is as cheap as I have seen it in a long time.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I shoot every Thursday in club matches and generally once a weekend. I've got a little 50 yard range in the backyard but usually just test new loads out there. I live 10 minutes down the road from the club range and I would shoot everyday if I could, but as usual, money is the limiting factor.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Last two years I would go to the range at least 3 times a month. 100-125rds of 40 and 50-100rds of 22lr each trip. (less rounds if it was cold).

But this year, the range has developed quite a few older farts than I am that occupy range space just to **** chat and BS around. Although I think it, I am not one to say "Hey, can you do your BS'ing somewhere else? The range is for shooting."

I used to shoot at my Uncle's back yard range quite a bit, At least once a week and run through 200+ rounds of 40 and 150+ of 22lr, but it has pretty much stopped due to non gun owners building houses across the road calling the police constantly and complaining about the shooting and noise. Although, after the first time a Deputy showed up, confirmed who we were and liked the range setup. They tell the neighbors that we are not breaking any laws, but my Uncle doesn't want to upset the neighbors or Sheriff's department so we pretty much don't shoot at his place but maybe 10-20rds when one of us gets a new firearm.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I shoot once a week, pretty much year round. The odd week I miss is made up for on the weeks I do multiple trips. I was out at MCFG 3 times during the first week of December. I wish I could shoot more but I don't own land that would support that (yet), so each shooting trip requires a run from Greenwood either up to MCFG or down to Atterbury. When I shoot, it's generally 50 rounds but will sometimes do 100 or more if there's something that needs exercised a bit and if I've just completed a batch and have lots of ammo on hand.

I do really envy you guys that have the ability to step out of your house and shoot in your own yard. I'd love to be able to work up a load by creating and shooting small batches and then bump up or down based on chrono results.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I selected once a week which is basically a lie right now. Up until I moved from Lafayette to Bloomington for a job I shot once a week pistol at an indoor range and at least once a week I shot Trap. I shot a Steel Challenge, an Appleseed and an IDPA match last year also. Plus three training classes.

Now I don't shoot at all.:(

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I used to shoot 4 or more times a week when ammo was cheap and I was not married with kids. The past three years or so only went out a few times a year. Been stashing ammo as much as budget allows. Still a member of two clubs and have a couple private ranges to go to. Money has been limiting me.

I have sold some guns and consolidated calibers as much as I can. Still thinking of selling a few more. Would like to shoot some matches to better improve my skills. Nothing close to where I live which also limits things.

Wife and I used to shoot together all the time and now someone has to hang back with the kids. Figure a sitter, traveling to a range, paying to run a coarse times the two of us, ammo and eating out. Expensive day !

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Last two years I would go to the range at least 3 times a month. 100-125rds of 40 and 50-100rds of 22lr each trip. (less rounds if it was cold). But this year, the range has developed quite a few older farts than I am that occupy range space just to **** chat and BS around. Although I think it, I am not one to say "Hey, can you do your BS'ing somewhere else? The range is for shooting."I used to shoot at my Uncle's back yard range quite a bit, At least once a week and run through 200+ rounds of 40 and 150+ of 22lr, but it has pretty much stopped due to non gun owners building houses across the road calling the police constantly and complaining about the shooting and noise. Although, after the first time a Deputy showed up, confirmed who we were and liked the range setup. They tell the neighbors that we are not breaking any laws, but my Uncle doesn't want to upset the neighbors or Sheriff's department so we pretty much don't shoot at his place but maybe 10-20rds when one of us gets a new firearm.
    Sad to hear your uncle has an issue with this... If someone near my house had a problem I would politely tell them to bite off a fat one :)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Dang I shoiuld shoot more. I've got steel pistol targets, a 100 yd range, and a 700 yd range at my house and only shoot 3 times a year. Just checking rifle zero and blowing off pistol ammo if a buddy wants to shoot. Used to shoot 1-2 times a week til ammo craze '14. I reload but pretty much just rifle/hunting ammo. Every once in a while i make sure I can hit what I'm aiming at...I should shoot more
    i have 50 extra rounds of 9MM and 30extra 5.56 every time I shoot if the other 362 times a year you don't shoot can be rented!

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Shoot 3 IDPA matches a month Mar-Oct. Sometimes throw a USPSA match in there too. Steel Challenge, maybe some trap on Wed. night. Reload and cast my own bullets, so constantly checking loads and speeds over the chrony. Got my own 20 acres way out in the boonies so nobody bothers me when I shoot off the back porch! Shooting something at least 3-4 times a week.....just bought a nice .22 air gun and am chasing squirrels around the property now!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    For some number of years, I shot 5 days / week +/-, typically about 1000 rnds. / week.

Currently it's 1 / month to keep up on skill sets, more frequently if someone has requested training. Might as well shoot while I'm there!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    yup, esp if you have little one... that's why I shoot a lot less than I used to. Soon the kids will be old enough to take with me and then I'll be a hero to the wife for getting myself and the kids out of the house and out of her hair for a while... at least, that's my plan! haha :)

now, instead of heading to the range, I'm off to coach a kindergarten basketball team.....

-rvb

You are doing the right thing. Kids should take priority at certain ages. They will be gone before you know it and then you can devote more time to your pursuits. The one mistake I made, which you won't is I did not get my children into the shooting sports when they hit the appropriate age.

I was full of career, marriage, band, sports, etc. My guns stayed in the safe for 15 years during that time. Now they are grown and one does not like guns at all and the other is into other things. Though he does enjoy shooting when we can get together.

Top Bottom