how often have you seen a light strike on a primer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Often Do you See a Light Primer Strike?

• Total voters

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    Almost every review i read in a magazine about a pistol mentions "double strike capability." I never use that in my decision making when purchasing a pistol. The only gun I've seen it happen in 15 years was an old 1922 browning and I would have never considered that for a deffensive gun. So why is there such a big deal made about it?

So I'm talking current "not junk" guns and current "not bargain basement" ammo, how often have you witnessed a light primer strike?

Maybe this will open my eyes...

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've seen this once in the last 5 years. It was with a CZ clone, while using Wolf primered reloads, so it may have been a dead primer. In non-carry guns, such as my .22s, it happens about once in 100 rounds for good ammo and once in 25 rounds in cheap ammo.

Turfweazel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    As 88 said rim fire it happens often. My father in law had one with his nano and critical defense ammo last time we were out shooting. I seem to have a problem with them in my shotgun I have changed my hammer spring and shoot quality ammo but I have at least one every time I go shooting.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    :):I seen it happen once and here is the kicker... It was a glock!!

But in the Glocks defense after this kids glock kept doing this I took it apart for him and the striker was covered in gunk and dirt and even some hard rock like things. He had never cleaned it in the few years he had it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'll second the Wolf primers. My Sig 226 would shoot anything I put in it until I bought Wolf primers. I would bet I was getting light strikes atleast once per mag. until I got rid of the Wolf primers.

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have had it happen a few times in the last 20 years or so, mainly with my Glock. I just manually ejected the round each time and put it back on top of the magazine and it always fired fine the second time.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    had that problem with the cheap federal birdshot from wall mart, the top barrel of my old shotgun would not set off that stuff, bottom had no problem though.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Had it happen at my last FNS. There was a pretty good strike on the primer though, so my guess is ammo related (winchester bulk 9mm). Which reminds my I need to try that round again. 1st I've had that happen on centerfire, but I'm a noob.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On factory ammo? Twice that I recall. Once with a Beretta 92 and once with a Colt 1911. Both fired the round the second time.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Only had it with revolvers while dialing in the mainspring weight. My 686 is still popping CCI primers with a 6 pound double action pull.

Had it on lots of rim fires, mostly due to the firing pin being gunked up or hitting too far off center.

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    well i'm seeing that there are quite a few incidences occurring out there. but i was really curious about modern guns and average to good ammo. and i should've said something about .22's. i think i would consider wolf products bargain basement.

still thought, 212 views and only 34 votes?

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    Most of what I've seen is due to reloads with high primers. Sometimes it takes a couple of hits before the primer is fully seated and then it will fire

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I've seen it several times. I loaded up 400 rounds of 45 ACP using Tul-Ammo primers. Using a Charles Daly .45, I got many light strikes. Enough that I never used the last 600 primers that I had and gave them away to a friend. I will admit it was good practice. Better than using snap caps.

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    I've seen it happen with my Ruger SR9c. I had put around 2,000 rounds through it (mostly cheap stuff) and while I have cleaned the gun, I never disassembled the slide and pulled the striker out to clean it because this was my first striker-fired gun. I noticed it wasn't hitting the primers hard enough so I took it home and stripped it, cleaned it, and when I went back to the range it was flawless.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I've seen it with an old Taurus Beretta 92 clone, also in a random (can't remember brand) .32 ACP.
    Remember the problem can be as much on the primer as it is on the striker/hammer -- some of the old Israeli 9mm ammo made for uzi can have very hard primers.

Top Bottom