• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Even if you manage to get one, you will never get to drive it on any road. DOT and NHTSA are even bigger *****es to deal with than the BATFE

When was the last time you were pulled over by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or the Dept of Transportation and asked for consent for a voluntary search of sealed containers in your non-commercial vehicle?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Hotrodtba beat me to it. He's right though, you can transfer one from an indivudual if you're 18 or older, but you can't transfer one from a dealer unless you're 21. You also must be able to find one in this state if you want to transfer it to you and you're under 21 because out of state transfers must go through a dealer.

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    Hotrodtba beat me to it. He's right though, you can transfer one from an indivudual if you're 18 or older, but you can't transfer one from a dealer unless you're 21. You also must be able to find one in this state if you want to transfer it to you and you're under 21 because out of state transfers must go through a dealer.

what about to build a surppressor ? can you be under 21 ?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It has been my understanding that you must be 21 to manufacture an NFA item.
    IIRC, I think you only have to be 18 to manufacture... I'll check into it...

ETA, I didn't find any exact code, but did find a couple firearms websites that mentioned it.

This one from Nebraska Firearms Owners Association
    Who may own NFA firearms? A person 18 or older my manufacture for themselves any NFA firearm except new production machineguns. The Gun Control Act of 1986 prevents new manufactured machineguns from citizen ownership. A person 18 or older may purchase any NFA firearm from another individual in state or at age 21 from a dealer in state.

This one from an exceptionally well written explanation on the whole NFA process posted on Glocktalk
    NFA and age requirements
    What about an age requirement for buying or making NFA weapons? For many years, it was incorrectly assumed that you had to be 21 in order to possess an NFA weapons. While you are required to be 21 in order to purchase an NFA weapon from a licensed dealer, you don’t have to be 21 to make or own one. Those of you between 18 to 21 years of age can thank an intelligent young man in Florida for that. He did some reading of the NFA 34 and the GCA 68, and noticed a few things. The GCA outlines age requirements for buying firearms from an FFL. For instance, you must be 18 to buy a rifle or shotgun, but must be 21 to buy a handgun from an FFL. The young man then got to thinking, and wrote BATFE a letter.

At first, he asked about the legality of building his own short-barrel rifle, or SBR. His premise was that he could buy a Title I AR-15 from an FFL at age 18, and there was no age requirement in NFA 34 regarding making an SBR. So, could an 18-year old buy an AR-15 and then file the Form 1 necessary to build an SBR? Surprisingly, BATFE wrote back saying that he was correct, he could do exactly that. So, he filled out the Form 1, using a trust, to avoid any difficulties with the CLEO, and included a copy of his letter to BATFE, and a copy of their reply. The Form 1 was approved, and he built the SBR.

His next step was to inquire about the legality of a person 18-20 years of age buying an NFA weapon from an unlicensed resident of his State. Again, GCA states the requirements for buying from an FFL. If the weapon were bought from a non-FFL resident of the same State, there is no requirement to go through an FFL / SOT. A little less surprising this time, BATFE again agreed – he could legally buy an NFA weapon from a non-licensed resident of his State, even though he was less than 21 years old. So, he found someone willing to sell him a suppressor, and he bought it. Again, the Form 4 was approved, and he took possession of his suppressor.

One important thing to note about BATFE Forms and those less than 21-years of age: the forms contain a question which asks if the transferee (the buyer) is 21 years old, or older. You must answer the question truthfully. However, that answer is not going to deny you your weapon, as long as you are not buying from an FFL / SOT.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom