• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Living far enough out I don't worry much about mobs. I figure most problems will relate to a small group operating at night. In this instance time is what you want as the problem is already close and I'll need time to react. Alarms outside are my friends, although someday I want to get TV cameras.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Living far enough out I don't worry much about mobs. I figure most problems will relate to a small group operating at night. In this instance time is what you want as the problem is already close and I'll need time to react. Alarms outside are my friends, although someday I want to get TV cameras.

This^^^^

Secure is very subjective. I lived in an urban area for several years and I never felt secure. Now I live rural and it is a much better feeling. I still have cameras and a security system but I am not much worried about gangs or riots now. Also, it is extremely quiet out here so any sound is more likely to get my attention unlike the city which was constant chaos and noise that you just learned to tune out.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thought about the plywood, not so much about the heavy wire mesh. Not sure if I'd find something heavy enough and cheap enough for my liking but I can give it a look, also would have to build some sort of frame for the, let's say, welded wire type of fencing material.

I've been thinking about the frames and welded wire route since it let's in the light and is lower profile. That way I'm more inclined to put them up if needed instead of waiting too long.

I'm not sure, but whether the plywood, exuding that ghetto look, might even attract unwanted attention. Hence my thinking in the direction of heavy wire screens over the windows.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I've been thinking about the frames and welded wire route since it let's in the light and is lower profile. That way I'm more inclined to put them up if needed instead of waiting too long.

I'm not sure, but whether the plywood, exuding that ghetto look, might even attract unwanted attention. Hence my thinking in the direction of heavy wire screens over the windows.

My house just sucks. Vinyl siding, old windows with some crap metal frame that isn't even very durable, so I couldn't screw/mount something on the small "metal" frame of the window. I don't wanna drill through the Vinyl siding...not many options really outside of adding something to the inside of the window which would work and I guess if the windows are smashed there's an insurance claim to get better windows :dunno:

I might just get the plywood cutouts and mount them on the inside because I don't see a good way to mount them outside on this house without causing some damage.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For window defense I have chicken wire and hardware cloth, it doesn't stop bullets, but it does cause bottles to bounce off without breaking, an important factor. The outside of the house is stone and metal.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    How about something like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/331779399433?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

We used to have a setup like this outside our sliding glass in our first home; single version on the front door. Didn't interfere with the operation of the slider, and gave quite a bit of peace of mind about doors getting breached.

This thread has me looking for a set that would work with the new place.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Not worried about the house. If they get up the half mile long driveway, past the perimeter alarms, and the tripwires set when I am not home, they're going to have a challenge finding valuables. If we're home when the mob comes then we have a clear field of fire for a hundred yards or more from the roof. We'll drop them before they get to the house. If the house is compromised, the safe room will hold from anything civilians can bring.

Of course, by then the neighbors will have thinned the mob numbers quite a bit.

I need to move to your neck of the woods.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    How about something like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/331779399433?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

We used to have a setup like this outside our sliding glass in our first home; single version on the front door. Didn't interfere with the operation of the slider, and gave quite a bit of peace of mind about doors getting breached.

It’s an option for sure. 1700 is out of the budget for this though. There is a $500 version at lowes I’m considering. Probably won’t add too much security, but at least another layer.

Covington 72-in x 81-in White Steel Surface Mount Double Door Security Door https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-...in-x-81-in-Actual-75-in-x-81-75-in/1000201871

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

We have something very similar on our 2 entrance doors from the street. The back door is a solid core wood door we took from an old school house and cut it down. The striker and dead bolt receivers are metal wrapped and anchored in the frame of the house. If you did breech it there would be a serious surprise waiting as the noise would wake the dead.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    As long as your place appears more secure than your neighbors, and you're smart with your trash (Don't leave new TV boxes out by the side of the road, break them down and bag them) you'll be fine. Thieves target homes that are easy in and out marks.

Now if you're talking riots, and groups of people storming a house, shy of a concrete safe house good luck. With enough motivation, people, and sledge hammers any house can be broken into.

Edit:
    This is coming from LE experience, and construction experience

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Yes, If the world gets stupid i'm heading south and when I get there my two closest neighbors and I will figure out which way we handle it.
    I do have cameras at both places. I do know that by myself its impossible to defend 4 sides of a home.

I'm in the camp that lights and cameras are the most important safety devices to have.....

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    What's hilarious here in the burbs is how many homes have front door entrances with full length side-light glass panels on both sides. You can have sturdy deadbolts, but nothing to keep intruders out except a thin piece of glass next to the door. I've addressed this in my home, but >90% of homes around here still have this glaring weakness.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Someone was going door to door tonight asking for food. He looked like he wasn't a stranger to heroin, and heroin and theft go hand in hand. I couldn't answer the door right away because I had to put 3 German shepherds in the bedroom. I hope my dogs put me off the list if he was out window shopping.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Someone was going door to door tonight asking for food. He looked like he wasn't a stranger to heroin, and heroin and theft go hand in hand. I couldn't answer the door right away because I had to put 3 German shepherds in the bedroom. I hope my dogs put me off the list if he was out window shopping.

3 German Shepherds? That’s brave. I have two that are almost two years old and they're a handful and make for a crowded house lol.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Dogs are probably the best alarm system going, particularity ones that have a reputation like shepherds or dobermans. Hard core trouble is going to shoot your dogs though, but their sacrifice may buy you the time you need.

Top Bottom