• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Just figured I would share some of my recent work.
    Let me start by saying that I have always been a bit skeptical of the whole stroping with leather to maintain my hard use knife edges. I decided I would give it a try for myself and decide if it was really all my brother, grunt soldier, really claimed it was. He always told me my knive weren't really sharp if I haven't stroped them. So I set out to make myself a good honing strop to see if he was correct. I did some research and figured out as much info I could about the right leather and compounds to use. I purchased some quality heavy leather, some nice flat wood, and some premium strop compound. Once I had acquired everything I got to it.
    Here is what I came up with. I made 6 or 7 total since I knew my brother, father, and my father in-law would all want one. I wanted a bigger bench strop to accommodate my larger knives and so did grunt so I went with 3x3's for ours and just some 1x3's for the others. On the bench strops I did leather on all 4 sides. The first is a black compound, second is the green compound, third is the pink compound, and finally the plain leather side. Each compound is progressively less abrasive and after the green you are really just polishing the edge removing very very fine amounts of metal and removing the burr on the edge.

fe39c7eafbdc8582e20df90daaa99f8a.jpg

fde213c114586c5068df4aa440884827.jpg

Once I had them finished up I gave mine a try on my Horton folder. I had used the knife the past few days for various tasks including carving two turkeys, cutting a few bones just for fun, and whittling a bunch of sticks with my niece. It would still cut paper but not great and wouldn't shave the hair on my arm any longer. I went through the process. Ten to fifteen strokes on each compound and then the bare leather. I have to admit that I am very impressed in the difference. The edge was insane sharp. It would easily shave my arm smooth with no effort and push cutting paper was effortless. I could make shavings off the paper about the thickness of a finger nail or smaller and the edge had its beautiful mirror finish back. I can see myself in the edge like my bathroom mirror.

Regular printer paper
    6f86fad448572b655bbc7c164f68945e.jpg

And now some thin receipt paper
    268455809c9440c712394c912141c5f3.jpg

Needless to say I am now a believer and have to admit, unfortunately, that my brother was actually right for once.

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Oo 3" wide? I am very jealous. I think I might need to follow your lead on this one, those 3x3 strops are mighty! Makes me feel inadequate with a 2" 2 sided strop...

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    They are really only about 2.75". The extra length and width really makes it nice for bigger blades. Even with the smaller one too cause I can run the blade down the full block and only need a few passes instead of 8 or 10. The final two sides really remove all the scratches and put that beautiful polished finish on the edge.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm actually selling the smaller 4 sided bench strop on the top left and 2 of the 2 sided ones on the bottom. I am looking for $30 for the bench strop and $15 for the 2 sided ones.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I can get most knives hair-popping sharp with just the white rod on my sharpmaker. I do like using a strop to maintain the edge. a few passes after daily cutting tasks keeps it razor sharp.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    You should always always strop your blades :) sit down with a couple beers and just take your time. Make sure you get the angle right and enjoy!

73EF5684-F1F0-4A83-80DF-029781AEF452-14323-00000FED0B8892E3.jpg

Now there are two things to take away from this thread. 1 always strop your blades and 2 grunt soldier was right again and dtrap admitted it :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I understand the different compounds change the process, but how different is the hard backed leather than a loose razor strop?

How often do you need to reload or clean the old compound?

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have been looking to get a leather to practice sharpening more free hand instead of just using my spyderco. Can anyone direct me where to get some leather like Dtrap used to make his blocks with? I have seen them already on blocks and if that is the easiest route to go then let me know but I have no issue with making my own blocks if I can get the leather. I really like the ones Dtrap has posted here.

Top Bottom