How should a Christian view gun control?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Being a Christian and a person with a LTCH I've been thinking about this a bit. Not so much about a gun control part but more about personal protection and the possible use of deadly force. I got pointed to this article How should a Christian view gun control? and just felt it was worth sharing, no matter what side of the isle your on. Like I said, thought it was worth sharing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's pretty good from a scriptural standpoint, but when talking about laws at the end, it fails to acknowledge that our government, itself, is subject to the Constitution and is not free to make any gun law it wishes. IMHO one could comply with the mandate to be "subject to the higher power" by complying with the Constitution even if the people in power at the time have illegal gun laws in place. I personally do not believe that all gun laws are unconstitutional, but a complete ban would be and I do not believe that a Christian following Romans 13 (and other passages) would be wrong to violate unconstitutional laws....though you have to understand the consequences.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    Being a Christian and a person with a LTCH I've been thinking about this a bit. Not so much about a gun control part but more about personal protection and the possible use of deadly force. I got pointed to this article How should a Christian view gun control? and just felt it was worth sharing, no matter what side of the isle your on. Like I said, thought it was worth sharing.

From the link:
    So, how should a Christian view gun control? With the authority God has entrusted to it, the government has the right to allow or disallow gun ownership to whatever degree it deems right. We, as citizens, are called to submit to whatever gun control laws the government institutes. This is not, however, a statement on the wisdom of gun control. There are good reasons to allow law-abiding citizens to own guns. Ultimately, guns are not the problem. Sinful people are the problem.

Our government is bound by the 2A though with all of the infringement going on you'd never guess that. The 10 commandments that I was taught said, "Thou shall not kill" but I believe the intent was thou shall not commit murder. Protecting yourself, your family or other innocent life from evildoers' gets a bye in my book and beliefs concerning our Lord. JMHO

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The highest authority is G_D. What is it about unalienable rights endowed by their Creator and shall not be infringed, that they don't understand?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Self defense is compatible with Christian teaching. That's a very general statement. But the legal battle could still be a difficult one, even when you are totally justified. I just hope it never comes to that. But if it does, at least I lived to tell the tale.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The article lost my interest when it quoted the Luke 22 scripture. I was hoping that would be omitted, because it has nothing positive to do with being armed. There was a reason Jesus told them to buy a sword (which he capped at two), and it wasn't for protection.

Kut (isn't a fan of misrepresenting scripture)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Not bad... Glad someone wrote that up. I have never felt compelled to have to defend myself over the issue, but if I did I would find that useful beyond what I feel I would have already felt on the issue.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The article lost my interest when it quoted the Luke 22 scripture. I was hoping that would be omitted, because it has nothing positive to do with being armed. There was a reason Jesus told them to buy a sword (which he capped at two), and it wasn't for protection.

Kut (isn't a fan of misrepresenting scripture)

Just curious but what are you meaning here? (I am not disagreeing with you) Just curious what you are thinking here!

I was under the impression that when Jesus had sent them out before he had sovereignly arranged for their needs to be met. Henceforth they were to use normal means to provide for their own support and protection. The money bag, knapsack, and sword were figurative expressions for such means (the sword being emblematic of protection, not aggression). But in 38 you see that they took his words literally..

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just curious but what are you meaning here? (I am not disagreeing with you) Just curious what you are thinking here!

I was under the impression that when Jesus had sent them out before he had sovereignly arranged for their needs to be met. Henceforth they were to use normal means to provide for their own support and protection. The money bag, knapsack, and sword were figurative expressions for such means (the sword being emblematic of protection, not aggression). But in 38 you see that they took his words literally..

So why would only 2 disciples have swords? Why not arm them all? And a few hours later, when Jesus was arrested, and they used the swords to defend them, why did Jesus admonish them, saying "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword." Jesus was fulfilling prophecy. He had been labeled a brigand and an insurrectionist. He needed a reason to be arrested, the swords, simply put, were for show. We never again hear of any the apostles using a weapon for defense after that point. I'm not saying Jesus is anti-self defense, I'm just saying those particular verses are used in a vary narrow scope, and give the wrong impression of the most perfect being ever to walk the Earth. I think it's obvious Jesus didn't actually need protection.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    So why would only 2 disciples have swords? Why not arm them all? And a few hours later, when Jesus was arrested, and they used the swords to defend them, why did Jesus admonish them, saying "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword." Jesus was fulfilling prophecy. He had been labeled a brigand and an insurrectionist. He needed a reason to be arrested, the swords, simply put, were for show. We never again hear of any the apostles using a weapon for defense after that point. I'm not saying Jesus is anti-self defense, I'm just saying those particular verses are used in a vary narrow scope, and give the wrong impression of the most perfect being ever to walk the Earth. I think it's obvious Jesus didn't actually need protection.

Perhaps God inspired the writer of Luke to include that specific quote, for a purpose beyond the fulfillment of scripture at the time of the crucifixion. This instruction would be useful to those early Christians as they went out spreading the gospel after the arrival of the Holy Spirit. The idea was not to brandish the swords in a show of force, but to protect the innocent and those who could not protect themselves. It was also grounded in the idea of only using limited resources to get the job done.

Otherwise, the other option is to adopt the stance of the Amish, Mennonites and Huguenots as total pacifists. It worked for them, but at great cost in lives and freedoms, (As documented in Foxes Book of Martyrs)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Once again I heartily disagree.

G_d Himself in human flesh needed no reason to be arrested. The corrupt Religious government hated Him because they could find no fault in Him. This is due to the fact that the Son of G_D, Jesus was absolutely with out sin or fault.

Your misguided REASON to arrest Him. would undoubtedly have been sufficient cause to arrest Peter, (the one who actually struck the blow) but not an innocent bystander.

Everything about the arrest, trial, prosecution and execution of our L_rd and Saviour, were carried out in direct contradiction of Jewish Law, arrested for no reason, tried at night, false witnesses, turned over to unbelievers, beaten, mocked, and crucified not stoned to death.

I agree that Peter acted inappropriately and that Jesus needed no protection.

This is an aside from the above.

Paul often carried large sums of money from the field back to Jerusalem to comfort the poor, (alms not welfare), with the ubiquity of highway men in those times as now, it would be quite foolish to assume that some in the party were not armed.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    It's an entirely different thing to be martyred for your faith than just contribute to the body count of a murderer. I would gladly give my life to save others, either by sharing the Word when it costs my life or advancing on an active shooter with a firm grip, proper sight alignment, and trigger control.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Lord our God, God of Power and Might, powerful in strength, strong in battle, You once gave miraculous strength to Your child David granting him victory over his opponent the blasphemer Goliath. Mercifully accept our humble prayer. Send Your heavenly blessing upon these weapons (..naming each weapon..). Give to them power and strength that they may protect Your holy Church, the poor and the widows, and Your holy inheritance on earth, and make them horrible and terrible to any enemy army, and grant victory to Your people for your glory, for You are our strength and protection and unto You do we send up praise and glory, to the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

Prayer for my priest to say over my weapons when I acquire them and when he comes to bless my house each year.

The taking of life is always evil, a lesser evil in the face of a greater evil in recognition that we live in a fallen world.

Since the priest is the Icon of Christ, he can not engage in hunting for Sport, ie trophy killing, nor can he continue as a priest if he sheds human blood, and is forbidden from bearing arms. He can take up arms in self defense. The prayer above clearly shows the people are to defend the church and by extension the priest.

Top Bottom