• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The folks on the Mayflower came to America to make sure religion had a part in their politics. The Founding Fathers did not leave religion out of politics. Leave religion out of politics/group affairs and you get exactly what you have now. John Adams said "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Those religious Founding Fathers gave us a real nice Constitution and a bunch of Rights that "worked" up until a few decades ago; right up until somebody decided that religion shouldn't be a part of the equation. They should thank you for your support. The government had Evangelical Christians listed as the #1 terrorist threat on the DHS Terrorist Watchlist; Al Qaeda was at #6. That "somebody" is now after more than just removing religion from our lives. It's not going to work out well for us.

I deleted a quote from the Mayflower Compact. I figured that might be too much "religion" for some of you.

John Adams signed the Alien and Sedition acts so I don't think he's the best example you could have used.

I do not know what you are talking about in regards to the Christian #1 terrorist. Are you implying it's not possible for an evangelical Christian to be a terrorist?

Nobody is removing religion, if you think it's happening then I have a bridge to sell you. There will always be people of different faiths in this country. I am not opposed to people having their beliefs, that's their right. If they want to worship God or Odin or the Flying Spaghetti Monster then that's their business. I'm opposed to religion being pushed or imposed on me.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    John Adams signed the Alien and Sedition acts so I don't think he's the best example you could have used.

I do not know what you are talking about in regards to the Christian #1 terrorist. Are you implying it's not possible for an evangelical Christian to be a terrorist?

Nobody is removing religion, if you think it's happening then I have a bridge to sell you. There will always be people of different faiths in this country. I am not opposed to people having their beliefs, that's their right. If they want to worship God or Odin or the Flying Spaghetti Monster then that's their business. I'm opposed to religion being pushed or imposed on me.

Huge difference between proselytization and displaying symbols of faith.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Interesting topic, I believe a functional regional militia could be formed with the absence of religion and politics but not without strong guiding principals. That's where the break down begins. I personally could serve/train with such a group but would align myself with other strong Christians within the group. Protecting my faith and family are where my true loyalties lay.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    good point. now a days very few folks moral compasses point in the same direction. if you don't agree with your leaders definition of freedom. start your own group I guess ???

INGOers don't agree with the definition of freedom. Why would someone stand shoulder to shoulder for someone else's cause on to have that person turn their back on you for your cause?

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    As a former member of ICVM ,It,s no different then being in the army , and I was. We all came from different backgrounds but had one thing in common fighting for are freedom . I believe it can be done ,but it,s a hard road to keep it together. I dare say I hope we can., because when they come for are guns ,there not just coming with 2 or 3 people , oh no they will bring enough to do the job. If your standing alone you will most likely loose . We will all go down 1 by 1. We all need some plan for that day . We all need each other ,not if , but when that time comes. By the way all praise The Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There was a news story today about crowd sourcing. Basically people wanted to help with the locating of the missing plane. So using social media they are reviewing satellite images for the Indian Ocean. What I picked up on the story was that people (especially 20 to 30 year olds) no longer want to be dependent on professionals. So they are using their own resources to assist. And the pros, while not always liking the involvement of the masses, realize that they will never have the manpower to do big missions.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...ge-area-slowed-analysis-of-images-of-possible

This is the modern equitant of the militia. in the 1700s and 1800s the militia was not only the military but also the police and fire (volunteer fire fighters are continuing this tradition). Often the militia was a function of local government but could be formed around the local church as well. It was a community effort thus was integrated into established structure. It was not a form of rebellion but of conformity.

Last edited:

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought a militia was a group of people that trained to provide for the defense of the nation from foreign or domestic aggressors? Historically domestic aggressors that militias have responded to are looters, rioters, and citizens in revolt (see: Whiskey Rebellion). I see nothing in that that specifies your religion, race, creed, or any political stance besides standing by our constitution. I don't see where religion even comes into the discussion besides when some of the militia groups drew criticism for being openly anti-Islamic or antisemitic views. Such views, broadly vilifying a group of people, are, in my opinion, antithetical to the spirit of our nation.

Can't we go back to a group of people doing rifle drill at the county fairgrounds a few times a year so that, should they be needed, every man has a basic military skill set? It would do more to accomplish an overall military and defense readiness, the entire point of militias, than closed groups of people preparing to fight some imagined future race war/holy war/zombie attack. That is the stuff that painted the militia movement in a bad light in the first place.

It is far more than just learning how to march around a parade ground. Or even marksmanship. Try doing paintball. You can learn small team coordination. And if you screw up, it hurts. But what about first aid or even EMT skills? How about getting your ham license so that you can learn to use a radio and work on a net? How are you going to resupply or do maintenance?

Then what about other militia functions like police or fire? Do you join a police reserve unit or become a special deputy? Volunteer fire fighter?

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Perhaps my prior statement gave the impression that I care about or would censor what atheists - or muslims, or anyone - believe. I don't. I don't care if someone is a theist or non-theist or if they worship Toyota Corollas - I just don't care. I do care about the behavior of anti-religionists to try to completely remove these religions from public life, as there is a fundamental difference between respecting no establishment of a State religion and permitting individuals to openly declare their faiths in public, which is the major trend I've noticed very much in the recent past. I'm fine with the Toyota-ists setting up their own monument in the public square if they like, but I'm tired of anti-religionists tearing down other monuments and displays of the faiths of the people of this great nation. So very tired.
    Now THOSE people freak me out!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    It is far more than just learning how to march around a parade ground. Or even marksmanship. Try doing paintball. You can learn small team coordination. And if you screw up, it hurts. But what about first aid or even EMT skills? How about getting your ham license so that you can learn to use a radio and work on a net? How are you going to resupply or do maintenance?

Then what about other militia functions like police or fire? Do you join a police reserve unit or become a special deputy? Volunteer fire fighter?
    Wasn't meant to be taken so literally, more of an illustrative point of the difference between a traditional citizens' militia and the SHTF, tacticool, ready to rebel against the government any minute militias that pop up every now and then. All of the skills you mentioned are of course necessary. Not that SHTF skills are not needed, they are entirely necessary, but many of these militias operate behind closed doors and purely for their own defense rather than in defense of their nation and countrymen as I believe a militia should train. That's why I don't agree with any discrimination in who is admitted, every citizen is a member of the militia. It is just a matter of organizing them to train them. Secretive below the radar groups do not lend themselves well to training the people as a whole.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not sure what you mean by "a traditional citizens' militia". If you're talking about what the Constitution refers to as "a well regulated militia", I would submit that that would be the National Guard and - to a lesser extent - the respective States' "home guards" - which, in Indiana, is called the Indiana Guard Reserve. Or are you talking about some form of auxiliary Sheriff's Department deputies? I hope that you're not seriously talking about some of these gaggles of what my Dad would have called "drug store cowboys" who want to go out and "play Army" but are not qualified or are too chicken-s... to actually enlist.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure what you mean by "a traditional citizens' militia". If you're talking about what the Constitution refers to as "a well regulated militia", I would submit that that would be the National Guard and - to a lesser extent - the respective States' "home guards" - which, in Indiana, is called the Indiana Guard Reserve. Or are you talking about some form of auxiliary Sheriff's Department deputies? I hope that you're not seriously talking about some of these gaggles of what my Dad would have called "drug store cowboys" who want to go out and "play Army" but are not qualified or are too chicken-s... to actually enlist.

Traditional militia is more like a volunteer fire fighting department. Or a sheriff's reserve force (special deputy powers).

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Those gaggles are the one's I'm speaking against. The tacticool fellows who act all hush-hush, train in the woods, and prepare for some ridiculous pet scenario. That's what gives militias a bad name. When I think of a traditional militia I think of a group of people trained in marksmanship, basic military maneuvers, and first responder skill sets. Trooper is spot on. They are a similar organization to a volunteer fire department.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those gaggles are the one's I'm speaking against. The tacticool fellows who act all hush-hush, train in the woods, and prepare for some ridiculous pet scenario. That's what gives militias a bad name. When I think of a traditional militia I think of a group of people trained in marksmanship, basic military maneuvers, and first responder skill sets. Trooper is spot on. They are a similar organization to a volunteer fire department.

More than that, it is a way to hide in plain sight. In fact no one would complain that you are training. Or think that you are a nutcase.

Other groups would be your county EMA, state Guard, Civil Air Patrol, ARRL ARES or even Red Cross DAT.

stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    Does Indiana even have any active militias? I was digging around a while back and didn't find much of anything and what I did find certainly didn't look like it would be anything worthwhile.

Top Bottom