• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I had a most unpleasant experience at my LGS today and am still trying to cooldown. Please note that this is not associated with any LGS in Indiana. I have dealt with this LGS for about 3 years on an almost exclusive basis. This LGS has been open less than 4 years and other than purchasing a gun at a Dallas gunshow (which I knew my LGS did not have) and purchasing a used gun on Gunbroker (which my LGS could not get), all of my gun business has been with him. We are also on a first name basis. Over this time period, I have purchased guns (only 2 of which involved trades) from his shop to the tune of over $12,500 not to mention the 3-4 thousand dollars worth of optics, ammunition, powder, primer, bullets, and magazines. Throughout this period, I always felt my LGS prices were fair (but not the lowest) and that I was not being gouged. I often went out of my way to purchase from him even though there is another LGS about equal distance the opposite direction where I could get a slightly better price but very limited stock.

I was in the LGS last Thursday, things were normal, plenty of ARs, etc. and I purchased some bullets labeled as one thing and when I got home, they were something else entirely. So I go back to exchange the bullets today and noted the following:
    1) Still plenty of ARs, etc. but all the prices have been pulled off the ARs and AKs but still on all the other guns. It is obvious that since Friday, the pricing of guns has become inflated for stock he already had and also that it was very fluid.
    2) One customer that was buying an AR told him that Walmart had some kind of AR for $847 and the LGS owner said he was going to go buy them all so that he could resell at a much higher amount.
    3)All the price tags were removed from the AR magazines indicating that pricing was also inflated and fluid. Previously, these were all marked with Magpul MSRP.
    4) I picked up a SCAR17 mag from the shelf and also noted that the price had been removed. Since he didn't have the bullets I needed, I was just going to apply the exchange to the SCAR mag. Previously, he had these marked at $49.95 which was already above MSRP. He told me that since he had sold me the rifle, I could purchase the mag at $60 and I refused. He then indicated within 3 months that mag would be worth over $100. Before I left the shop, he pulled both the SCAR 17 mags off the shelf and hid them in the back presumably to sell later at a much higher price.
    5) I left the shop with refund cash in hand for the bullets and a very bad taste in my mouth feeling as if my LGS was trying to bend me over a barrel. Ironically, this is all from a LGS that had always touted how fairly they dealt with people.

In the short term, I was getting ready to purchase several additional firearms and optics from this LGS. Right now, I am not very inclined to do business with this LGS again but, I will let the dust settle from this crisis and do a lot of cooling down myself before I make my decision. Maybe I can get this :xmad: look off my face.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    well aks are going to be harder to get soon to the gov messing with import. Ars are hard to get because of demand but what that shop did was shady as hell.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    name them so people know who is shady.

Agreed, there's no reason not to name them. That's not a good way to treat them customers, loyal customer especially, and it is simply not very ethical. I understand that it is simply business but it is just not a good way to deal with people.

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Could be shady or not.... Thing is, you don't have to buy from them. They have been carrying that inventory and you have the right not to buy from them. Just an opinion.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm as disappointed by the price gougers out there as the liberals who are blaming guns for all of society's evils. To me, they are basically one in the same. While they both may be on opposite sides of the spectrum both groups are using a senseless tragedy as an opportunity to capitalize on something.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Sorry to hear about that. I have heard from folks all over the country that normally reasonable LGS' are doing similar.

Hope you find one that won't treat it's customers in such a manner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do regular business with 3 LGS. It used to be 4 but due to the very issue stated by the OP i am down to 3.
    The 3 I am still happy with has not slammed me during the "Day after the election" price raises. And now with the soon to be banned black guns ordeal looming I am still treated as a long time customer in good standing. They all may raise the prices but they are also aware I know what this crap is worth so it is business as usual. I have brought a few home this weekend and prices are normal at least to me.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    Supply and demand. I don't really have a problem with this. :twocents:

Yep, I like and look for the best deals like the next guy. But I am also a business man so, if the market goes to the moon, I will be just short of the moon so I am competiteve and profitable. Thats how it works.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    To the OP, you're assuming that when price tags are removed-that the store is inflating (raising) prices, or gouging? Why would you assume that? Where's the evidence, or documentation to that effect?

IMHO, no higher prices are obvious from what you've revealed up to this point!

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    To the OP, you're assuming that when price tags are removed-that the store is inflating (raising) prices, or gouging? Why would you assume that? Where's the evidence, or documentation to that effect?

IMHO, no higher prices are obvious from what you've revealed up to this point!

Sorry Bub, but I didn't just fall off of the tater wagon. Even in Arkansas we can add 2+2 and most all of us even wear shoes. You can choose to believe whatever you want. Last Thursday, I went to the AR racks in the back as I often do to see what he has that is new. Each and every time I have done this for the past 3 years or so, price tags are clearly hung on every rifle from the trigger guard indicating price, caliber, manufacturer, and a number that looks to be his FFL log tracking number. Today, ALL the tags on the ARs have been replaced with new tags indicating caliber, manufacturer and tracking number with no price. I am not talking about just a few rifles, there were between 30-40 ARs on the rack and many more in boxes on his shelves which are typically not priced. The practice I have experienced at this shop is that if he has one in the box, he sells that one instead of the rack gun. I did not ask prices on the rifles but did on the magazines and 50% higher than MSRP and 20% higher than it was 4 days ago on the same magazine is gouging in my book.

The point is that gunowners have long memories and will without a doubt remember which gun shops inflated prices during periods such as these for short term gains. Doing so may make a profit now, but they had better be real good at drawing new business in after the crisis because loyal customers are very difficult to replace. Loyal customers do not price shop because they have found a shop they trust and know that they will be treated fairly. With this particular one, I am no longer sure.

Top Bottom