• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    i agree scutter! this is really good info to have for everyone.... love the pvc idea and if it was burried long ways it would be less likely to be found. burry near a metal fence hehe that should mess with the detector i think.

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    I would say AKs are the gun to burry. Just take the pistol grip off and clean the gun good and dry it (hot dry summer day perhaps). Then stuff the bore with vasoline and coat everything completely.

From there, I would put the gun in one of those huge ziplock bags they sell now and wrap it tight to keep as much air out as possible. Then, prepare a block of mags in a similar way.

Next get a 9-inch PVC pipe as previously discussed and close one end (the bottom) with an solid end cap. With the pipe add a container (or possibly two as it is cheap) of the desicating kitty litter. Lower in the gun and then lower in the bag with the mags, and a bag with ammo into the tube. Note it would likely be wise to also attach heavy cord to each component in case you do burry it and you can't reach the bottom or dig it up.

Finally, glue on one of the screw-port type ends so that you can get into the pipe without digging it up.

Cheap, waterproof, the desicant inside will address what little condensate you should get inside the pipe. The plastic will provide a barier to the gun. The vasoline will preserve the metal much like cosmoline.

Now, where is my AK at :patriot:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I would say AKs are the gun to burry. Just take the pistol grip off and clean the gun good and dry it (hot dry summer day perhaps). Then stuff the bore with vasoline and coat everything completely.

From there, I would put the gun in one of those huge ziplock bags they sell now and wrap it tight to keep as much air out as possible. Then, prepare a block of mags in a similar way.

Next get a 9-inch PVC pipe as previously discussed and close one end (the bottom) with an solid end cap. With the pipe add a container (or possibly two as it is cheap) of the desicating kitty litter. Lower in the gun and then lower in the bag with the mags, and a bag with ammo into the tube. Note it would likely be wise to also attach heavy cord to each component in case you do burry it and you can't reach the bottom or dig it up.

Finally, glue on one of the screw-port type ends so that you can get into the pipe without digging it up.

Cheap, waterproof, the desicant inside will address what little condensate you should get inside the pipe. The plastic will provide a barier to the gun. The vasoline will preserve the metal much like cosmoline.

Now, where is my AK at :patriot:

Sounds like a pretty good plan, actually!!! :thumbsup:
    :cheers:

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    One of these days I will pack another and this time I will remember to take photos. We have a hunting camp and it gets damp sometimes and we are not around alot. Now, after Katrina I developed a rater "tin-foil" attitude towards how helpful big brother would be in a major crisis so I packed up say at least one AK and put it away in case there was ever an emergency that there would be this gun that several of us know where to find.

Sure, it would be a bit of a mess to clean up... but the assumption is that if you have to evacuate you would do so armed and this is a backup plan.

There was a golden time for AKs, a couple years back, where we could buy kits for as cheap as $40 and with a handful of us complaince parts and a receiver flat you could build a legal AK for under say $75. That made it easy for quite a few people to put an extra gun away for a very bad day that none of us hope that ever comes but history teaches us will certainly come!

It is still relatively cheap to put away a good gun, mags, and ammo but not as cheap. Some day that modest investment may put food on the table or keep you from being a sheep that the wolves feed on.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Should I be preparred for the odd look I might get at Sam's Club when I ask for the 'Super Giant sized 5 pound tub of Vasoline?'

(My bad!):rolleyesedit:

lovemywoods

(ps. You're all welcome to bury stuff at my place as long as you provide a list of the gun types and exact burial locations!!!)

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    Should I be preparred for the odd look I might get at Sam's Club when I ask for the 'Super Giant sized 5 pound tub of Vasoline?'

No, next time your buddy wants to go shooting offer to drive and on the way home tell him you need to stop to pick something up. Then you carry one and ask him to help you carry a second without telling him what you want them for.

Report back on the looks you get :lmfao:

Oh yea, perhaps you want to buy a bulk pack of condums too, for the benifit of the nice lady checking you out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The venerable SKS is the classic "drop into a section of 6 inch PVC pipe and don't forget where you buried it" gun. That was especially true when they were almost free they were so cheap.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    :lmfao:Did you say lazy or crazy?

alot of lazy, and a little crazy=me

But really, and I hate sounding super manly and use an old saying, but if you think it is time to bury your guns, then it time to use them.

I know, I know, it does sound a bit gungho, but it is the way I feel.

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    I used to think that way, then look at Katrina...

Is the right answer when the local police start gathering guns to start shooting? I don't like that that happened, but I don't think the answer is to turn to arms in that situation either.

So, I now have plans in place that if I could not bring guns or I had to turn them in for some reason, I have a backup plan and even a backup to the backup.

Gun, magazines, and ammo!

Don't decide after the crisis that you need one, then it is too late! Also, to be clear I don't have any guns buried. I have oh say at least one packed as described in say oh one or more locations where I could get them if needed.

Have parents, have a sibling, have a hunting camp, have a good friend or other relative?

You get the point.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I can agree with a bit of that Quarterbore, but your Katrina example I disagree with. There was zero reason for disarming folks.

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    I can agree with a bit of that Quarterbore, but your Katrina example I disagree with. There was zero reason for disarming folks.

Oh I agree, and I never thought I would see that in this country but it sure as hell did happen. It reminded me of Nazi germany with the storm troopers comming in and stoping people at the road blocks and going door to door collecting guns.

Anybody that thinks it would never happen here had best look at what happened and plan accordingly. It can happen and it DID HAPPEN and it happened in this country where we have something called a Bill Of Rights.

My point above is just that, you can be disarmed and if you preparations assume you will not be, then you may well find yourself grossly unprepared when it does happen and you need that gun to survive!

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Oh I agree, and I never thought I would see that in this country but it sure as hell did happen. It reminded me of Nazi germany with the storm troopers comming in and stoping people at the road blocks and going door to door collecting guns.

Anybody that thinks it would never happen here had best look at what happened and plan accordingly. It can happen and it DID HAPPEN and it happened in this country where we have something called a Bill Of Rights.

My point above is just that, you can be disarmed and if you preparations assume you will not be, then you may well find yourself grossly unprepared when it does happen and you need that gun to survive!

:+1:

And if I may be so bold to quote one of my previous posts,

The point back then, was to "tuck them away for the rainy day", loooooooooooong before the sky even had the slightest hint of any clouds in it.:nailbite::runaway: as in "before they are illegal"

One gun in the ground is one gun that can not be taken from you!!!!

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    OK, here is a reference to what I was refering to. This is video about Hurrican Katrina and the disarming the average citizen

Multimedia

Watch it, think about it, and watch it again.

Then think about just what you would do!

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    No, next time your buddy wants to go shooting offer to drive and on the way home tell him you need to stop to pick something up. Then you carry one and ask him to help you carry a second without telling him what you want them for.

Report back on the looks you get :lmfao:

Oh yea, perhaps you want to buy a bulk pack of condums too, for the benifit of the nice lady checking you out.

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Top Bottom