How to: Carpet a Reloading Bench (pic heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I had an addition to the Profire Family delivered yesterday, and thought I had better spruce up my bench before I installed her.

My old carpet was dirty and greasy from my XL650 and shavings from the crimp dies. The following is a 'how to' on carpeting your bench. I've had a few people ask about how it's done, so I hope you're listening.

Follow along:

Step 1: Strip the bench

Pull off any old coverings and make sure the bench is level and flat.

315g6yv.jpg

Step 2: Clean it.

Any old debris that you have left over from drilling, reloading, or spraying is going to end up under the carpet. Clean all that stuff off.

30204js.jpg

Step 3: Lay it out

The carpet for the bench is sold at Home Depot at the back of the store. You'll buy it by the linear foot, since the square foot doesn't make much sense in this case. The rolls are 12' long so don't make your bench longer than 10'. It's $0.52 per square foot - cheap for making sure everything on your bench stays there. This carpet for an 8' bench, 24" deep with full wrap cost me $24.

2j6ae0w.jpg

Step 4: Start Slow

You're going to need several things:

1) A can of 3M Super 77 Spray
    2) A staple gun
    3) A razor blade knife with a NEW blade
    4) Forearm strength to pull the install tight (no shame in getting a second person involved here - you may need it)

You'll need to roll the carpet back about 20% on the bench to give yourself a starting point. Make sure you hit the edges at least twice, as that's where its going to release first if it does. Spray the first 1/5th of the bench and lay the carpet down. Just the left 20%.

ngwp60.jpg

Step 5: Push

Run your hands all over the carpet to make sure that it sticks. It will - but not if you don't lay it down.

2ze9x0l.jpg

Step 6: Work from the other side

After you've adhered the carpet to the left side, roll it over from the right so it covers only what you've sprayed.

svi39f.jpg

Step 7: All the way

Spray (in sections) all the way across the table until you're done. Then pinch and cut the corners.

2vht3bl.jpg

wmkwsj.jpg

Step 8: Edges need love too

Make sure you spray the edges so the carpet will adhere to the front support of the bench top. Also, spray underneath so when you staple the carpet to the underside, the adhesive will take tension off of the staples when you pull the carpet tight and staple.

xndzyc.jpg

2pouu6c.jpg

Step 9: Corners Suck

Tuck, fold and clean the corners. Anytime you're folding the second section to complete the seam, make sure you notch it before cutting and folding.

There's no getting around it, a straight line is easier to glue than an angle. But its not difficult. Do it right - don't rush, because you're going to be looking at it every time you reload for the forseeable future.

9:1 Cut

wmkwsj.jpg

9:2 Trim (square)

zj6vfa.jpg

9:3 Tack

ay22yo.jpg

9:4 Cut and Clean

34djzgp.jpg

9:5 Notch (very important)

You'll need to notch the edge to continue onto the next side.

2laatr9.jpg

Step 10: You're Done

Work your way around doing all corners like this, and you'll be finished in exactly four sides.

2q9jlea.jpg

Step 11: Finish

Should look alot like this.

23sups6.jpg

Step 12: You're Done

Drill the spots for your new press, and you're off to the races.

s5xtao.jpg

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Very nice and very clear instructions! Thanks for taking the time to put this posting together! :yesway:

Also, congratulations on the new press!!!

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Carpeting contains any powder / primer spills that you may encounter. It also keep brass on the counter, rather than rolling onto the floor.

It's all about friction. It keeps the pieces your working with on the bench top, rather than elsewhere in your reloading room.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Another great tutorial. I'll be building a new bench soon and will definately be adding the carpet. I think the bench project will definately require a few more beers though.:D

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    That makes sense. But aren't you worried about static or do you use a static pad on the floor?

Nah. There has been much discussion about this, but I've never had an issue. I'm not working with Black powder, so static detonating smokeless powder or primers is really a non-issue. (in my opinion)

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    Thanks! I appreciate your answers. As a beginner (I haven't even loaded my first round yet) I try to get knowledge anywhere I can. I'm sure I'll ahve tons more questions for the experienced here as I go along.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Nice looking bench, but I'm way too messy for a carpeted top. I'd have so much spilled powder all over the top it would be declared a EPA Superfund site

Top Bottom