How to check if military gear is stolen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • treanor21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have someone selling a Night Optics PVS-14 that I suspect may be stolen. What would be the best way to see if it was taken from a military base or otherwise?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    What's the price on it? Most of the "used military" night vision that is in the civilian market is stolen. The newer the item the more likely.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If you have the slightest doubts I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Too many legal risks. I know a lot of the current issue gas masks that end up for sale are also stolen.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    Does the .mil even sell off/release used NVGs? I know the USMC seemed to use them until they broke and weren't fixable.

Is the guy selling it describing it as actual military gear or "same as"? If he says it's actual military gear, I'd steer clear. PVS-14s were still current generation, general issue as of about a year ago. If it works, I doubt the .mil would have knowingly let it go.

Absent having a LEO run it through NCIC (which would only work if the unit that the NVG belonged to declared it stolen with the serial# as opposed to "lost" or "combat loss" and just let it slide), you'd need to check it carefully for marks that would give it away as military issue. My issue gear typically had both a paint-pen number and an electro-pencil number etched on the housing, since the serial number sticker would often fall off or become unreadable the longer it was in the field.

Also, the price might be an indicator. Those things aren't cheap, so the lower the price than 1) it's stolen 2) it's broken/almost worn out 3) he just REALLY needs the $$ fast.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    most modern us mil surp is stolen even mre's are government property. some of it they just dont care like packs and stuff
    Might explain how I got a dozen pieces of Molle II equipment for $6 at a thrift store. Do soldiers ever get to keep any of their issue equipment after their service ends?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you go to government liquidation.com you can see the sort of stuff .gov surpluses. Try a search on night vision or aimpoints etc. you won't find anything other than parts like dust covers or cleaning kits for optics. They have multiple classes for things that can be surplused or sent to DRMO. Clothes and most things made of fabric like bags can be given/sold to both. If fabric items are DRMOed I.e. given to the police, the police aren't allowed to sell, or trade them off. They have to be thrown away. Most other DRMOed require regular inspections and must be returned to .gov when it's usefulness is up. The highest level of DRMO is where night vision, lasers, and weapons fall into. The weapons currently available via drmo to the police and alphabet agencies are 1960's era m16s. Occasionally they can get 3 or 4 broken pairs of an-pvs5s, however it requires crazy documentation, constant surprise inspections and must be returned.

This doesn't mean that NV doesn't accidentally reach the civ market. You'll find things on govliquidation that have names like "electronics lot". In those lots you sometimes find some really cool stuff. People have found everything from aimpoints to sincgars radios mostly in not working but serviceable condition.

Problems arise when NCIS comes checking on the NV you just bought online. They are relentless in tracking down stolen items. Google search "NCIS night vision". Generally they just take whatever you bought and hammer whomever sold it to you. It just sucks to be out a couple grand.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Might explain how I got a dozen pieces of Molle II equipment for $6 at a thrift store. Do soldiers ever get to keep any of their issue equipment after their service ends?

If it is an issue item...generally no. You sign for it, you turn it back in. There are always exceptions but I don't know of any recently that would be considered legal.

I'd ask for a sales receipt and place of purchase. If it's current issue it will be new(ish) so if they don't have that...heck I have sales receipts for weapons I bought back in the '70s...it's questionable if not stolen. YMMV.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Typically, a soldier gets to keep their uniforms, under garments and boots when they get out. That doesn't include any cold weather clothing or any items worn over the regular uniform. When I deployed to Afghanistan, Uncle Sam issued me $850 worth of cold weather clothing. About a four layer system from silk weight long Johns up to a down filled parka. It is pretty common for a soldier to have a large rucksack stuffed full plus three duffel bags full of clothing and gear for a year deployment.
    Many career soldiers do buy some of their own gear over the years so it is not unheard of to see stuff for sale that came from the post exchange, clothing sales, Ranger Joe's, Brigade Quartermaster or dozens of other sources. Heck, I had a complete extra set of IOTV body armor, to include the SAPI plates, that my supply sergeant classified as Found On Installation in Afghanistan.
    There is tons of night vision out there on the market and to say that most of it is stolen is not correct. Remember, some civilian company makes it for the military. Just because it says it is an AN- PVS 14 doesn't mean it isn't a Gen 1 or Gen 2. If you are going to lay out hard earned cash on night vision, you had better do your homework and know EXACTLY what you are looking at.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I meant most of the military issued. If it's military issued it's highly controlled. If you see a cage dtid or nsn number there are probably issues. You can go to tnvc and buy a pvs14 that is made by the same company that makes the military version today but there are subtle differences between the two. If you find a mil issued pvs 14 it's probably stolen or at the very least accidentally released.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Send it in to the manufacturer for service, if they don't send it back it was stolen.
    It's happened to a lot of guys who didn't know they bought stolen property.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Problems arise when NCIS comes checking on the NV you just bought online. They are relentless in tracking down stolen items. Google search "NCIS night vision". Generally they just take whatever you bought and hammer whomever sold it to you. It just sucks to be out a couple grand.

I agree. You don't want NCIS, DCIS, or OIG coming down on you. They investigate incidents of pilfered military grade hardware and are very good at what they do.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I have someone selling a Night Optics PVS-14 that I suspect may be stolen. What would be the best way to see if it was taken from a military base or otherwise?
    You can also call the manufacturer with the serial number. They will have a database on equipment listed stolen by the Military.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Just because it's "for sale" doesn't mean it's stolen.....even if it IS military issue only. I know of several times while I was at Camp Lejueune, there would be storage locker sales for unpaid rents. For some stupid reason, lots of military people store there "issue" gear in storage lockers. Then, when the rent comes past due, the contents get auctioned off and the military member is out there "issue" gear and it's legally on the market. The military member is financially responsible to pay the government back for the missing gear thought.

Top Bottom