• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have a set of ceramic sharpening sticks, similar to the ones pictured in the link below. There are two different types of ceramic (white and blue) that supposedly have different densities. There a two different angles, one for each color.

http://www.discountcutlery.net/media/LS33.jpg

Here is the problem: The sticks are many years old and have picked up a lot of metal from use. They seem to be a lot less effective than they used to be, and slide more due to the metal embedded in the stick. In the past I have cleaned them just using a rag and hot soapy water. I am interested in a better way to clean them. I've thought about just getting a spyderco set, but would rather fix these if possible. In their day, they gave great service, but now they need some maintenance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Use a paste of Comet or Bon-ami and rub the sticks with it. Cleans them up real nice and does'nt hurt the sticks. I've been doing it for years.
    Later, Bob

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've used Comet in the past with good results (recommended by obijohn, in fact!).

Some really fine ceramics will respond to soapy water okay, but better if you scrub with a brush with the bristle tips just barely touching (the way you're supposed to brush your teeth).

Comet will work on more stubborn, coarser ceramics, especially if they have a lot of metal embedded over time. Brushing will help here too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Comet will work on more stubborn, coarser ceramics, especially if they have a lot of metal embedded over time. Brushing will help here too.
    Be sure to use the wife's toothbrush for this. You know she's using yours to clean the toilet with.:):

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have a set of ceramic sharpening sticks, similar to the ones pictured in the link below. There are two different types of ceramic (white and blue) that supposedly have different densities. There a two different angles, one for each color.

http://www.discountcutlery.net/media/LS33.jpg

Here is the problem: The sticks are many years old and have picked up a lot of metal from use. They seem to be a lot less effective than they used to be, and slide more due to the metal embedded in the stick. In the past I have cleaned them just using a rag and hot soapy water. I am interested in a better way to clean them. I've thought about just getting a spyderco set, but would rather fix these if possible. In their day, they gave great service, but now they need some maintenance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

All alternatives I've used.

Soap and water

Comet cleanser and water

Comet cleanser and steel wool

SOS pad

Comet and the triangle thing they sell for cleaning them that looks like a big rubber eraser.

Comet and a big rubber eraser after I lost the $5 thing that looked like an eraser

Back to Comet cleanser and steel wool or a brillo pad.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    soap and water works fine. really.

Use a paste of Comet or Bon-ami

I've used Comet in the past with good results (recommended by obijohn, in fact!).

Soap and water, Comet cleanser and water, Comet cleanser and steel wool, SOS pad, Comet and a big rubber eraser after I lost the $5 thing that looked like an eraser

Alright guys, its looks like the common denominator is Comet. I figured there was something more high-tech, but I am fine with a low-tech solution (no pun intended). I can tell you that the soap and water trick is no longer working, but that may be because I did not do the maintenance frequently enough. Once I get them clean again, I will go back to washing them with soap and water more regularly.

Thanks guys.
    Josh

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Alright guys, its looks like the common denominator is Comet. I figured there was something more high-tech, but I am fine with a low-tech solution (no pun intended). I can tell you that the soap and water trick is no longer working, but that may be because I did not do the maintenance frequently enough. Once I get them clean again, I will go back to washing them with soap and water more regularly.

Thanks guys.
    Josh

You need something more abrasive. Use an SOS pad or steel wool with soap and water. One of those big rubber erasers they give kids in Kindergarten works suprisingly well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hey, its hard to argue with nap time. Besides, back them I was still smart enough to know that girls are gross and have cooties. If only I knew now what I knew then.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I know you remember that. It hasn't been that long since you were there!
    :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Don't know how else to describe it. Don't think I've used on since until I used it to rub the black crap out of those ceramic stick. A little soapy water is still needed and a clean rinse.

May be I spelled it "different".

Big red rubber eraser, the kind they give you when you make a LOT of mistakes. Doesn't every body have one?

Top Bottom