Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I was wondering. Maybe a nephew?

I had that thought initially when those comments got posted, but then saw that this person has been a member for quite a while on this forum. I find it odd that someone who has dealt with a similar problem would make the comments that were made.

I hesitate to post an address or too much personal info as this IS the Internet and I don't trust my info out there on public forums completely. When I get home later, I'll see if I can figure out how to post photos so you can see the targets and where they are in relation to our fence...clearly shows no backstop is in place.

I will also see if I can find a copy of the ordinance referenced online and share it with our commissioner's as a sample of what they should be considering.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Bring it up on google earth, and hit PRINT SCREEN. open paint and right click and click paste. Use the paintbrush to edit it, and save. Upload to photobucket, then cut and past the IMG code here to ingo.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Wow. I've been following this thread on and off since last night. So sorry you're having to deal with this. Wish I had some good advice, but other than what others have mentioned about following the proper legal channels, I've got nothing.

You shouldn't have to feel like a prisoner in your own home, or unsafe when you walk your own property. I honestly don't know the best way to deal with someone who's committed to being a bad neighbor like this. Perhaps a road trip, and a polite INGO community intervention with the neighbor? :dunno: Though that could escalate this to a Hatfields/McCoys type of feud. Kind of sounds like if you wait long enough, maybe they'll weed themselves out of the gene pool (hopefully before someone else gets hurt). Ugh.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm not sure what you are wanting to see on Google Earth as the photos are outdated and other than the layout of the property isn't going to help much. I can do that but am curious as to what you are going to see there?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I had that thought initially when those comments got posted, but then saw that this person has been a member for quite a while on this forum. I find it odd that someone who has dealt with a similar problem would make the comments that were made.

I hesitate to post an address or too much personal info as this IS the Internet and I don't trust my info out there on public forums completely. When I get home later, I'll see if I can figure out how to post photos so you can see the targets and where they are in relation to our fence...clearly shows no backstop is in place.

I will also see if I can find a copy of the ordinance referenced online and share it with our commissioner's as a sample of what they should be considering.

D'oh. Now you've done it. hornadylnl will forever label you as one of "those", and will covertly refer to you in every gun rights thread with "there are 'those' who say they advocate for gun rights but favor ordinances...blah...blah....berms...blah.... back stops".

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    Perhaps this is totally undesirable, or there is an environmental consequence I haven't thought of, but since there is a road back there, could you contact either the city, or even post on Craigslist, a need for "Free Fill". A couple of large dump trucks of broken concrete right behind where your shot up signs are would be pretty effective I'd think.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    D'oh. Now you've done it. hornadylnl will forever label you as one of "those", and will covertly refer to you in every gun rights thread with "there are 'those' who say they advocate for gun rights but favor ordinances...blah...blah....berms...blah.... back stops".

The OP has a right to do whatever she wishes, on her property, free from having to dodge bullets. It shouldn't take an ordinance or law to ensure that this is the case. We had a situation with a roving band of coyote hunters who would release dogs on our property, shoot across parts of our property at coyotes on a neighbors property, etc. The DNR was not helpful. The St Joe Co. sheriff dept was most helpful. I don't know what the two officers that showed up told them, but they haven't been back since.

In legal terms, if I shoot a projectile onto someone else's property, without their permission, am I not trespassing?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

He already gave me a reputation rating accusing me of being a troll. LOL

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Perhaps this is totally undesirable, or there is an environmental consequence I haven't thought of, but since there is a road back there, could you contact either the city, or even post on Craigslist, a need for "Free Fill". A couple of large dump trucks of broken concrete right behind where your shot up signs are would be pretty effective I'd think.

There is no way get a dump truck back there. Our road is barely wide enough for the pickup. I get accused of "adjusting the mirrors" when I fold them back on the trees! The road that the neighbor's driveway is on has a huge ditch and we have no access across it to our property. Good idea though if hubby would want to haul it back a loader bucket at a time!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    At least I think I was the one being accused of being a troll...not quite sure the way it was written. LOL!

So far, I think the lawyer is our best option. Nobody answering the dnr phone today due to it being a holiday I think.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    That would be a faily large pile of dirt/fill. I seem to recall the OP saying that some bullets were stuck 30 ft. in her trees. (Of course I'm not certain how far away the trees are from the reckless neighbors firing position.)
    Might be worth a try though. I'm just a person posting on an internet forum though.

Best of luck.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What would be really effective is not having bullets leaving your property.

Says someone with an IQ above 70.;) How do you get that simple message across to the OP's sub-70 neighbors? I see her only real option as forking over the cash to a lawyer who will make the neighbors life suck to a sufficient degree that they comply. It shouldn't be that hard. It shouldn't be that expensive. But it is.:dunno:

When we called the po-po on the coyote hunters, my wife asked; what would your Grandpa have done if he were still around? Simple, he would've followed them until they stopped and got out of their truck and then he would've kicked the a$$ of the first one he could lay his hands on. Grandpa has been gone a long time, and sadly, I don't think he would recognize the world we currently inhabit.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The OP has a right to do whatever she wishes, on her property, free from having to dodge bullets. It shouldn't take an ordinance or law to ensure that this is the case. We had a situation with a roving band of coyote hunters who would release dogs on our property, shoot across parts of our property at coyotes on a neighbors property, etc. The DNR was not helpful. The St Joe Co. sheriff dept was most helpful. I don't know what the two officers that showed up told them, but they haven't been back since.

In legal terms, if I shoot a projectile onto someone else's property, without their permission, am I not trespassing?

I agree. An ordinance shouldn't be necessary to avoid your neighbors bullets flying on your own property. I think if you're flinging yer **** on my property, yer trespassing.

Top Bottom