• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I love to watch the deer in and around my yard, with that being said first, I don't like them eating my grape vines, black berries, or anything else that I have growing in the yard. The land owner that I rent from has deprivation permits and says shoot them all. My front yard is 22 acres of farm land and the deer do lots of damage.

I know that I can rightfully shoot them, but would rather not. Anyone have any tricks? I have two dogs that run part of my yard on electric fence and bark at the deer but it dosent bother them a bit. And I refuse to build hidious cages or fences around garden to keep them out. Other critters I don't mind shooting, but I just like the deer (outside of deer season). I could just shoot them but they would be wasted because no one else in my house will eat them. I just don't want that to happen.

I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I love to watch the deer in and around my yard, with that being said first, I don't like them eating my grape vines, black berries, or anything else that I have growing in the yard. The land owner that I rent from has deprivation permits and says shoot them all. My front yard is 22 acres of farm land and the deer do lots of damage.

I know that I can rightfully shoot them, but would rather not. Anyone have any tricks? I have two dogs that run part of my yard on electric fence and bark at the deer but it dosent bother them a bit. And I refuse to build hidious cages or fences around garden to keep them out. Other critters I don't mind shooting, but I just like the deer (outside of deer season). I could just shoot them but they would be wasted because no one else in my house will eat them. I just don't want that to happen.

I'm open to other suggestions. Thanks

I believe that's a depredation permit and in order for you to be legal shooting them your name must be on the paperwork given to the farmer by DNR. You must also use at least the hind quarters and the backstrap. I am unsure if it is possible to donate the meat to soup kitchens or homeless shelters but you could check on it. There are commercial deer repellents available at Walmart and online that are purported to work pretty well. If you're at home, open the door and bark at them. Works for me.:D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    "Nuisance" is different than "Depredation", although some wording may be used in either classification, and or folks generalizing the description.

Depredation tags are used in the reg hunting season. The # of antlerless tags for a property determined by district biologist.

Nuisance hunting is a bit more involved, and is pre regular deer season.

Carcass usage has been changed for nuisance. It used to require the meat be used.

Can't find the info just yet, but it's on this forum, or another. Quick IDNR look shows some different overview than previous.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    "Nuisance" is different than "Depredation", although some wording may be used in either classification, and or folks generalizing the description.

Depredation tags are used in the reg hunting season. The # of antlerless tags for a property determined by district biologist.

Nuisance hunting is a bit more involved, and is pre regular deer season.

Carcass usage has been changed for nuisance. It used to require the meat be used.

Can't find the info just yet, but it's on this forum, or another. Quick IDNR look shows some different overview than previous.

Hookeye,

I've never heard of "in season depredation permits". The permits that are used to control excess deer are called "nuisance deer permits" (thus the permit holder can shoot any deer) and are used prior to season when deer are doing the most damage to growing crops.

To answer the OP's question check out.......

DNR: Managing Deer Damage

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My farmer had the biologist come out and give him an allowance for 10 antlerless during deer season, this in the mid 90's. I'm pretty sure they were called depredation permits. They were for in season only too.

The farmer (or any hunter he allowed on his place) could only use a max of 2 of the depredation permits. He had to let other hunters use them. Supposedly this got the deer pop down in his area and opened up hunting opportunities for others.

Of course some folks shot button bucks, which fit the antlerless requirement. The following year the biologist told him since half of the deer killed were buttons (5) he wasn't going to allow any permits for that spot.

Farmer was annoyed but didn't fight it.

Nuisance was always pre deer season IIRC and in nuisance, HP rifles could be used. Depredation was in season and therefore weapon specific.

Not long before that, we had to apply for bonus tags, see if we got drawn (county specific), and any not drawn for (leftovers) became available later at a specific spot in their county. I remember driving to to a tackle shop and waiting at the crack of dawn, in line, to get a chance at an "extra" bonus county tag up where I most hunted. Early 90's.

Things have changed a bit since then.

I believe there was a distinction yrs ago between nuisance and depredation. Now being able to just get a doe tag with no drawing, and not being county specific on your license..............my guess is that the old "depredation" name is now under nuisance, interchangeable, and refers to pre season deer reduction (and is not only antlerless).

Last edited:

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    This is a hard problem if you do not want to shoot them or pull 24hr guard duty.

In the past I have heard of planting marigolds around your garden or there is a spray that smells horrible and is not limited to just the area you spray it. Both of these do not work in other areas as the deer have adapted.

You may want to leave one or both of your dogs out, tied up over night for a week or two, except when it rains. Then also use a pellet gun to put a little sting in the behind of the deer when you see them. These may help.

You could also try misquito netting. It may not blend in with the green of your plants.

Good luck and keep us posted to what you try and how it works

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    This is a hard problem if you do not want to shoot them or pull 24hr guard duty.

In the past I have heard of planting marigolds around your garden or there is a spray that smells horrible and is not limited to just the area you spray it. Both of these do not work in other areas as the deer have adapted.

You may want to leave one or both of your dogs out, tied up over night for a week or two, except when it rains. Then also use a pellet gun to put a little sting in the behind of the deer when you see them. These may help.

You could also try misquito netting. It may not blend in with the green of your plants.

Good luck and keep us posted to what you try and how it works

My dogs are outside dogs year round. They do not come in the house at all. And are within 56-60 yards of the deer most times barking and the deer simply ignore them. Pellet rifle is a good idea as I have a nice one that shoots 1000 fps. That would defiantly sting. Lol.

We (me and family) are always out in the yard and I do not want something out there stinking and us have to smell it. The garden area is due west of where we frequent the yard and a bad Oder would be a nuisance as well with the breeze blowing it right to us. I know, I know, I'm asking for a lot, but there has to be a way to keep them away from my garden area without a bad smell or fence. I'm in there pruning, and watering often and those things would make it a pain in my neck.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Buy a couple of bars of Irish Spring soap and rub it on the trees and on anything else you can think of....problem solved. Deer absolutely hate the smell of Irish Spring soap.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Hookeye,

The mid 90s was a "kill 'em all" time for the DNR. I remember when the DNR changed over from the county draw to as many as you want over the counter antlerless permits. At that time it was XXX amount allotted per county and when they were gone that was it. That year there was a line a couple hundred yards long at the Boonville Walmart waiting for them to open.

I was not aware that farmers back then could also get in season depredation permits. You are right with the almost unlimited bonus permits that pretty well says that those are not needed any more.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Two things:
    One: The truck farmer near me got hair clippings from the local barber and dumped trash bags full of it around his crops.
    Two: A friend of mine in another state takes firecrackers and loads them in shotgun shells with the fuses stuck through a hole in the wad. Non leathal but it does a nice job of sending firecrackers next to the deer.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    And are within 56-60 yards of the deer most times barking and the deer simply ignore them.

If the dogs never give chase there is no deterrent. The deer soon learn to accept the noise and don't perceive a threat.

When the dogs are barking at the deer, let them outside the invisible fence and allow them to give chase.

Or you have to extend the invisible fence around the garden.

Trust me if your dogs are allowed access to the garden 24/7, there won't be any deer in the garden.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I bought a pink BB gun for this purpose. The get a sting in the butt if they are in the yard. (works for bunnies too)

If they're too far out, I have a coyote call I fire up that gets em nervous.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Two things:
    One: The truck farmer near me got hair clippings from the local barber and dumped trash bags full of it around his crops.
    Two: A friend of mine in another state takes firecrackers and loads them in shotgun shells with the fuses stuck through a hole in the wad. Non lethal but it does a nice job of sending firecrackers next to the deer.
    Not bad, I was going to load up some large bottle rockets in PVC with a fuse ready to light for bear. Like 3 small tubes inside a larger tube. I like this idea better, can follow up with lethal rounds if need be.

As for deer, about a third or more of the gardens up here are fenced for deer. Some are fenced for wolves and bear as well to keep predators away from livestock, they use electric with substantial jules, like 6 or 8. In the long run I am going that way, using a layout I have seen that works for keeping deer out of feed plots until you want them in it.

A new but local nursery passed on some local old timers stuff done here. They plant basil and/or oregano and marigolds around the entire perimeter. I have seen reference to both on the web so may do that as well. You can never have too much oregano or basil but I see selling it if we plant and harvest that much!

In our case, the deer are here for the clover in the yard and the garden has gone untouched so far but I don't see that lasting all summer. I am tempted to put in a dedicated clover plot but my concern is that will just draw in more deer and eventually the garden gets whacked.

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    take a scent wafer and put bobcat urine on it hang it up around the area that you dont want squirrel/ deer or rabbits. protected persimmons and blackberries for years

Top Bottom