• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    I have some old .22 cal LR ammo that I get a misfire about 1 in 10 times. I have the same problem in 2 different guns so I believe it is the ammo - it was probably cheap at the time it was purchased. How can I dispose of it safely?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have some old .22 cal LR ammo that I get a misfire about 1 in 10 times. I have the same problem in 2 different guns so I believe it is the ammo - it was probably cheap at the time it was purchased. How can I dispose of it safely?

Shooting it :D The bullets that don't fire, just pull the bullets

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Shooting it is my response too. Lol. If you don't want to mess with it and you're close, I will gladly take it off of your hands and dispose of it. My 7yo would be extremely grateful.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

Can you please tell me the name brand of the 22 LR ammo:D

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I agree. For .22 ammo, a one in 10 failure for old ammo is not that bad. When I buy bulk packs these days I get probably 1 in 50 FTFire. Many times, I put that bad round back in the next magazine and it successfully fires. Someone told me that the primer might be bad in a spot and fail, but will fire when the pin hits another area.

For those that fail a second time, I usually just toss them. Is that a bad thing? Should I keep them separate and pull the bullet? I know not to use an impact puller for rim fire rounds, so how are you pulling? Just pliers?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I agree. For .22 ammo, a one in 10 failure for old ammo is not that bad. When I buy bulk packs these days I get probably 1 in 50 FTFire. Many times, I put that bad round back in the next magazine and it successfully fires. Someone told me that the primer might be bad in a spot and fail, but will fire when the pin hits another area.

For those that fail a second time, I usually just toss them. Is that a bad thing? Should I keep them separate and pull the bullet? I know not to use an impact puller for rim fire rounds, so how are you pulling? Just pliers?

Just pliers, cause you're not going to use the components:yesway:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Sell it to someone unsuspecting at the next 1500. Repeat to yourself, "Caveat emptor, caveat emptor," until the guilt goes away.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Got some JUNK "Russian Sniper .22" ammo a while back, dad thought he got a deal, HA!

Between squib rounds, and just total inconsistant loading, bullets lodging in the barrel, etc., we decided to deep six it. Dad called the Bartholomew County Sheriffs Department and asked if he could take it to them to dispose of...

Their answer was to take the "waxy" protective wrapper off the bricks and bury it. Eventually moisture would seep in enough to render in un-fireable.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Got some JUNK "Russian Sniper .22" ammo a while back, dad thought he got a deal, HA!

Between squib rounds, and just total inconsistant loading, bullets lodging in the barrel, etc., we decided to deep six it. Dad called the Bartholomew County Sheriffs Department and asked if he could take it to them to dispose of...

Their answer was to take the "waxy" protective wrapper off the bricks and bury it. Eventually moisture would seep in enough to render in un-fireable.

Wouldn't that pollute the ground with lead:eek:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If it will not fire after the second try I would not try to pull the bullet. It most likely did not have priming compound in the rim, but what happens if there is one dot of compound in an area affected when you pull the bullet? I use the cutter on a big pair of electrical lineman pliers and cut the case about 1/8th inch behind the bullet then I shake the powder out. Once the case is empty, I put it on the anvil and smash it with a big hammer. I am very careful not to pinch the rim with any tool as long as there is a bullet and powder attached. For center fire ammo, I pull the bullet with a hammer type puller, remove the powder and bullet and chamber the primed case and point the firearm into a bucket of sand.

Moosecrackers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Central IN
    I have a similar issue - glad to read some of your suggestions.

I inherited a few boxes of .222 shells that my grandfather reloaded. He's been gone since the early eighties, so they've been sitting in the back of my safe since then. I'd like to get rid of them because I don't know anything about his reloads. I'm afraid to clip the case and/or pull the bullets as I don't know how stable any of those components are at this point. I'm not keen on burying them as I'm not comfortable with the safety aspect of someone coming along at some point and accidentially hitting them with a shovel or pick.

Back to the OP's original question - anywhere to dispose of these. Maybe take them to the police department? Any local gun stores willing to take them and either recycle the usable parts or safely destroy them?

MC

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Old Ammo

I'm sure the local PD would be able to offer some assistance.

You may check with your local range. A few years back, I received a lot of M1 Carbine ammo in a trade. The ammo was reloads and it was prior to my interest in reloading. I was not going to shoot it, and did not know what to do with it. I asked around the local range, and there was two guys who took it and recovered the components. From then on, any ammo I did not want, I passed to them.

Top Bottom