• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    I have a cheap old 22 rifle that I got over 30 yrs ago and somehow its receiver got bent up. it was out of my hands for a while and I have no clue how it got that way but it is irreparable to work as intended or be fixed for any reasonable price and I was wondering how to junk a rifle like this. it is still operable round by round so that is nicht gut for just tossing in the trash.

other than a gun buy back of course. besides that...?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If you still fully disclose what you know about it, what it will still do and what it will not do I bet someone would still want to buy it as a project gun. There are a lot of guys on the boards here that fancy themselves apprentice gunsmiths and cheap guns like that make a low risk (financially) way to practice tinkering.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Is it a common type of rifle? Could you part it out and sell components (except the damaged receiver)? Then what is left could be trashed or disposed of however you like.

Put it in the classifieds for $10 as a gunsmith special?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Give it to someone who enjoys working on guns.

Edit: ^Scooped

Yep, even if you give it away you are getting to meet someone on INGO ftf, and you never know they may trade you something? You'll read it a lot..."I've met the greatest people" through meeting up to buy, sell, trade, or meet and greets through the gun community.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Yep, even if you give it away you are getting to meet someone on INGO ftf, and you never know they may trade you something? You'll read it a lot..."I've met the greatest people" through meeting up to buy, sell, trade, or meet and greets through the gun community.

:+1:

I love this place.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you are not comfortable selling /giving it away then cut it up and throw it away.
    I have done this 2 times to guns that were dangerous/un-repairable. I will not sell or pass along a questionable firearm.
    Band or hack saw....die grinder or what ever is on hand.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If you still fully disclose what you know about it, what it will still do and what it will not do I bet someone would still want to buy it as a project gun. There are a lot of guys on the boards here that fancy themselves apprentice gunsmiths and cheap guns like that make a low risk (financially) way to practice tinkering.

You're right!
    I own a Dremel and a few other tools so I too, am a gunsmith.
    Fool.gif

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I have a cheap old 22 rifle that I got over 30 yrs ago and somehow its receiver got bent up. it was out of my hands for a while and I have no clue how it got that way but it is irreparable to work as intended or be fixed for any reasonable price and I was wondering how to junk a rifle like this. it is still operable round by round so that is nicht gut for just tossing in the trash.

other than a gun buy back of course. besides that...?

Offer it for free on the classifieds here on the forum. I am sure someone will want it.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    One man's trash is another man's treasure! NOTHING is irreparable! It's just a matter of how much work and knowledge will be required to get it done! I'm with the others! Offer it up for a freebee! (After you get your post count up, of course!)

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If you are not comfortable selling /giving it away then cut it up and throw it away.
    I have done this 2 times to guns that were dangerous/un-repairable. I will not sell or pass along a questionable firearm.
    Band or hack saw....die grinder or what ever is on hand.
    I doubt I would ever do this, regardless of the amount of damage done to the firearm - they are always people looking for parts. They may have an identical or very similar firearm, that needs sights, loading rod, ejector, stock or just an assortment of parts that are better than they have. It might make someone very happy to have the "junk" - even possible the parts that are defective on the "junk" may be ones they have saved from their "junk". Heck there are vendors at gun shows that sell a lot of firearms that are not safe to shoot. As long as the person you sell or give it to is so informed there should be no problem. If you think you are keeping it off the street from a BG- forgetaboutit - they can and will obtain a lot better one in a heartbeat. :dunno:

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    armscor .22 semiauto rifle. somehow part of the receiver got bent or warped, pretty badly. but it looks like it will still chamber a round so I think I will get it and a couple other clunkers together and take it to that terre haute buyback. if i get enough of em it may pay for the gas for the trip and the spectacle.

thanks to all for replies

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I think I will get it and a couple other clunkers together and take it to that terre haute buyback. if i get enough of em it may pay for the gas for the trip and the spectacle.
    Personally, I don't like the idea of contributing to the success of such a program. I'd rather take a hacksaw to it before I'd turn it in for a "buy back".

Top Bottom