• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    Hi, I was wondering if there was any way i could find out if a gun is registered stolen, before i bought it. It is a super good deal on the gun, so i just want to make sure that it isn't stolen, or wasn't used in a crime. Thanks for any help.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Take the gun, AND it's current pwner to the police station, and ask 'em to run the serial number. They probably won't run the number without the gun being ther. If the gun turns out to be stolen, it will remain at the police station.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    wait until you see a cop car in a busy intersection and run out into it towards the cop waving the gun in the air wildly yelling at the top of your lungs.... once you are in cuffs the cop will most definatly run the guns serial number...

or you can to to the local police station, but go inside and ask first before you walk in with a gun in your hand.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    After you buy a gun, say from an online dealer, and have the gun shipped to your FFL, won't the NICS check reveal if the gun is stolen or wanted in any way? I recall my FFL reporting the serial number of the purchased gun. Since I was able to leave the store with it and finish the transaction, I assumed it was clean. Am I wrong Dude?

AJB

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    wait until you see a cop car in a busy intersection and run out into it towards the cop waving the gun in the air wildly yelling at the top of your lungs.... once you are in cuffs the cop will most definatly run the guns serial number...

Too funny

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    quote]

Once your at the station, tell them who told you to do this. Hopefully before the probe.:moon:

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    There are a lot sites that have stole gun lists. A good idea is to just simple enter the serial number into google, and let google search all those stole arms sites for you..:) If you get a hit you will know it. It isn't 100%, but it is a good start. I like to avoid having a gun near police officers whenever i can.. (I just don't like the questions guns seem to bring about, and that thing, where they keep their hand on their pistol, makes me wanna do the same, then they get all "touchy")

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    First let me say that if you really are in question as to if the gun is stolen or not.........STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THAT GUN!!!!!!! It matters not how good the deal is, if it's stolen a good deal will do you no good.

With that being said, ask the seller to either give you the serial number or send you a pic with the serial number. Then call your local PD and ask them to run it. Some might without the gun being there, some might. If they won't........PM me with make, model, and serial number and I will do it for you.

Going to the PD with the gun should not be an issue. Only thing I would say is if you do this, leave the gun in the car and go inside and explain what you want. Then when the officer comes out to help you, you can both go out and do it that way. Or you can just call them and let them come to you.

glock 27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    elkhart
    Take the gun, AND it's current pwner to the police station, and ask 'em to run the serial number. They probably won't run the number without the gun being ther. If the gun turns out to be stolen, it will remain at the police station.
    Some departments (like ours) ECSD doesn`t allow you to bring guns in the door unless your an officer, a lady the other day brought 2 in thought she had to register them,thinking she was doing the right thing and they fined her for it. Check your dept. first.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    so many good and different answers. i guess you have to ask your self, how good is a good deal. but personal i would have to myself how well i know this person and then call the sheriff dept. for advise and getting it check out. good question i'm glad i join this forum.

Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Gun + police station=very bad mistake!

Very wise post. If I am selling a used handgun that I acquired in good faith from someone else and decided to sell it, there is no way that I would accompany a prospective Buyer to a police station to have it checked out. I would find a new Buyer or just keep it.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City

I think you should go with this LOL, just make sure you paint a Joker smile on your face first and everything should be fine...:D

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Is there a valid answer to this question?

If I want to buy a used gun at a gun store or second hand from somebody I meet on INGO, is there any way to be CERTAIN that the gun is not stolen?

Top Bottom