How to fix a loose front sight post on my Springfield 1911 loaded?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As the title says, the front sight post on my springfield 1911 loaded is loose. I have the parkerized version and I bought it brand new. I haven't done anything to the sights or tried to change them at all, and I'm actually happy enough with the factory night sights that I'd like them to stay where they are. The front sight post isn't super loose, but it's sure not getting any tighter the more I shoot & use it. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Until last night I'd never looked at the front sight with enough detail to notice the pin going through it. I got out a small roll pin punch and tapped it deeper into the sight & slide and it didn't seem to do much. The front sight still has just enough looseness that it'll wiggle enough to frustrate a guy who thinks the front sight post shouldn't ever budge, but with the pin in it, I suppose it's not likely to ever come out. Regardless, I'd like to get the issue resolved.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The gun is ruined, you should probably just give it to me and buy yourself another one. :):

I was born at night, but not last night. I just want to get my baby tuned up. We've got a long future together.

DoomOfMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm currently having the same problem with my SA Operator. SA sent me 2 new pins but I'm looking for a more permanent fix. Im really afraid that I'm going to loose my front sight. I just don't know what opinions I have.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    This is why I prefer staked on sights. If done properly they will never come off or drift. If you can get the sight out clean it and the holes really good and put a drop of red Loctite in the hole. The best fix is to get a new pin that's oversized and turn it down to a slight interference fit that will require carefully driving it in (with a drop of red Loct tite).

Top Bottom