• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    My folks a wanting to fly from Texas to Indiana and are wanting to go to the range when the get here how would they go about transporting there guns while on the plane? Can any one help:dunno:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Stan,

Here is a link to the TSA rules. They pretty much say that the gun must be checked, in a hard sided locking case. I would have them leave the ammo in TX just to avoid issues of seperating the guns from the ammo. Make sure you have 2 keys for your lock. 1 goes with TSA and the other stays with you.

Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration
    NO, NO, NO. The TSA does not get a key or combination! You keep the key, if TSA needs to open the bag they will attempt to contact you at the gate area, get the key, do whatever, and bring your key back.

DepTaylor

Plinker
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Westfield
    NO, NO, NO. The TSA does not get a key or combination! You keep the key, if TSA needs to open the bag they will attempt to contact you at the gate area, get the key, do whatever, and bring your key back.

I stand corrected. That is correct bill. Only one is required.

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    I take a couple pistols with me to arizona all the time ,When you get to the ticket check in you have to declare and show them the guns and that they are not loaded .They have to be locked in a case in your luggage . No AMMO at all. They have you sign a document about them and they place one copy with the gun ,one is filed away and the captain gets the other copy. Never had a problem .

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I've always wondered does the case just drop in on the luggage carousel like everyones suitcases? I would be more nervous about someone walking off with my firearms than my luggage. Also, does that count as one checked bag?

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    I've always wondered does the case just drop in on the luggage carousel like everyones suitcases? I would be more nervous about someone walking off with my firearms than my luggage. Also, does that count as one checked bag?

For handguns, the locked handgun case goes INSIDE your checked luggage. There are no markings/stickers on the outside indicating a firearm is inside. For rifles, it actually depends on the airline. I have seen some picked up in the baggage offices for the airline, most of the time they are put on the carousel. In my opinion, if you choose to fly with a firearm, you are responsible for the firearm, you better get your butt to the carousel and be waiting for it to come out.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    No AMMO at all.

This is FALSE. I have flown with a handgun in my checked luggage multiple times, and every time I also pack ammo. The airlines differ here, but the airlines I have flown with have had the same policies (Southwest, Delta, Allegiant). The ammo must be contained in a "package" of some sort. No loose ammo and no
    loaded magazines. I just use the original box the ammo comes in. All three of the airlines I mentioned allowed the ammo to be inside the same locked case the handgun was in. I have heard some airlines do not want the ammo in the same case as the gun, but in my experience this wasn't the case. I put the unloaded gun, unloaded mag(s), and box of ammo in the same case, and lock that case.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    They will call you to the special baggage area and check your ID at your destination.

I've never had this happen with handguns inside my luggage, I just pick up my luggage on the carousel like normal. I have seen that happen with cases that are obviously rifles and not a normal piece of luggage.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I flew in October with a couple of pistols. I put the gun case inside another piece of luggage. Coming home someone on the other side of baggage claim pulled it off the belt. The place was jam packed. So I yelled over there that it was not his bag. There was an awkward silence and he put it back on. That was my biggest problem.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    The best thing to do would be to get on the specific airlines' website. They have specific information on how to fly with guns.

Top Bottom