• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I agree that oil can gel without oil changes. seen it. Had it in my Allis Chalmers tractor.

But it doesn't gel like a perfect Jello mold like in the video.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    During WW2 the German Luftwaffe fighting in Russia learned to pour gasoline in the crankcase and turn the motor over to loosen up the oil, then start the engine. A trick I've read about but never tried when starting equipment in really cold weather.

Motor oil like a lot of petroleum products is a mix of high and low molecular weight fractions. Over time the low stuff is driven off leading to an increase in viscosity. Picking up dirt increases viscosity, just like stirring flour into grease when you make gravy.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    During WW2 the German Luftwaffe fighting in Russia learned to pour gasoline in the crankcase and turn the motor over to loosen up the oil, then start the engine. A trick I've read about but never tried when starting equipment in really cold weather.

Motor oil like a lot of petroleum products is a mix of high and low molecular weight fractions. Over time the low stuff is driven off leading to an increase in viscosity. Picking up dirt increases viscosity, just like stirring flour into grease when you make gravy.

This reminds me of:
    My grandfather has the distinction of individually being responsible for bringing down 8 Luftwaffe aircraft in WW2. In Germany to this day he is considered the worst mechanic the Luftwaffe ever had. LOL
    OK, back to your regular thread.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    have you watched the video ?

Given their enthusiasm, I wonder if it is a setup and they’re just overly pumped about how good their little plan worked? Or I could just be a jaded cranky guy.
    Before being the professional oil guy I spent 13 years in dealerships. Believe me we get giddy when we see something new that ****ed up.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This reminds me of:
    My grandfather has the distinction of individually being responsible for bringing down 8 Luftwaffe aircraft in WW2. In Germany to this day he is considered the worst mechanic the Luftwaffe ever had. LOL
    OK, back to your regular thread.

"I come from a long line of fighters. My maternal grandfather was the toughest guy I ever knew. World War II veteran, killed 20 men, then spent the rest of the war in an Allied prison camp. My father battled blood pressure and obesity all his life. Different kind of fight."

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Then you, sir, want to spend some time here:
    Just Rolled Into the Shop

(everyone else will love it, too!)

EDIT: It seems that this video is being heavily discussed on that subreddit.

ack, as a former pro now hobby/own mechanic that's horrifying but oh so relatable

Lost track of how many tires should have been replaced from wear.
    Sidewalls cracked like a sun-baked mud flat from (bad) tire shine.
    How many repairs can you fit on a tire?
    Wore the brakes so far the pistons came out of the calipers.
    Wheels held on by the bearing washer.
    40k (claimed) oil change.
    WE did something to sabotage the car to get their money.
    Racecar alignment liability waiver's there for a reason.
    and so on...

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    There is too much 'oil' in that engine.

My granddaughters make slime by mixing borax, dishsoap, and water. It's the latest thing. Something was added to the oil. I call :bs:.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Was watching a video last night of a supposed nightmare repair. Guys had a car up on a lift after the customer said the engine seized and wouldn't turn over any longer. They claimed he just never changed the oil, but the condition of the oil seemed too unbelievable to me.

First, the undercarriage was nice and shiny. Not new, but not dull and dirt covered like you would expect from a car with hundreds of thousands of miles and never washed or maintained.

They took the oil filter off and it was literally the consistency of jam. complete with gritty fruit seed like particles. they had to dig it all out with a finger from up in the void around the filter threads.

Then they pulled the plug and nary a drip. They pulled the pan and it was like a jello mold. the oil had the consistency of ballistic gel. They were slapping it around and it was just jiggling and not coming down out of the engine. They finally had to reach up and peel the giant blob out carefully and it was coming out mostly in one big piece.

The fact that it was SO gelatinous and not even a hint of liquid makes me think they are clickbaiting and faking the incident to generate ad revenue.

So what COULD you put in motor oil to gel it up like that? I know it wasnt hot melted axle grease (or any other solid at room temp lube) that was poured into an empty engine and allowed to cool and solidify, because their gloved hands were not getting any residue on them. And the areas they peeled it off of inside the crankcase were shiny and clean.

Ideas?

80 90 gear lube is in it...buddy of mine worked on buses for a school system.... one the the guys he worked with got the bright idea to put it in a 350 SB that had low oil pressure and smoked bad......made it about 60 miles then locked up

when they tried to remove the pan it was like a hard jello wad.....the 80 90 didn't like all that heat......true story....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    80 90 gear lube is in it...buddy of mine worked on buses for a school system.... one the the guys he worked with got the bright idea to put it in a 350 SB that had low oil pressure and smoked bad......made it about 60 miles then locked up

when they tried to remove the pan it was like a hard jello wad.....the 80 90 didn't like all that heat......true story....

Interesting. I could buy that.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I still change my own oil and do it every 3 or 4 months. Between 2 and 4 thousand miles. If it wasn't for the fact it was necessary to slightly jack up the front right a couple inches, I could do it in under 10 minutes.

I just don't understand people who let their way to work go thousands and thousands of miles and then maybe change their cars oil.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

interesting. My experience differs but I also had a mix of regular, 80-90 (or maybe 90-140?) and lucas rather than straight gear lube. much younger and less car savvy, valve stem seals were worn (to say the least. most shattered like glass and 2 were missing altogether when I got around to changing them), wanted to not use a quart of oil per tank of gas. It ran fine but did crank and cold idle a bit slow when the temps dropped.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Many moons ago I worked at a parts store near a naval air station. One guy stopped in every morning for a quart of oil for his Vega, between the leaks and the rings he was averaging a quart of oil per day round trip to work. I was cleaning out a back storeroom one day and ran across a case of 90 wt engine oil, yes, engine oil. I sold him a couple of quarts one day and a couple of days later he came in and bought the whole case. He said his consumption went to zero with it in the engine.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have some stuff called "Super Gel!" that a tablespoon will turn a cup of coffee into jello in about 2 seconds. It's a super absorbent polymer powder. It will solidify any liquid it comes into contact with; I've never seen it used on motor oil but it might just do that.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Don't ever change the oil and it'll jell. Personally saw it in my exes vehicle. She'd been taking her girlfriends to lunch on the money I gave her every 3 months for an oil change. They all had a good laugh at my ignorance for unknowingly paying for their "girls day". She came home one day talking about the funny noise her truck was making, turned out to be rod knock.

Ended up costing her about $3800 bwhen it was all said and done vs $720 in lunches. Guess who laughed hardest?

Sounds like it was a good decision to make her an Ex.

Top Bottom