• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I carry a walther pk 380...its kind've an in between mouse gun and a big gun.. maybe she could compromise with something like that, It is a great concealed weapon to carry. But I guess its only a .380 which you might consider too small, but i feel confident it would easily drop the largest guy you can stand in front of me.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Strictly my opinions below - so please - no offense intended.

I carry an LCP. So what??? It wasn't even an OPTION to have a mouse gun until a few years ago. I go a lot of places on business where deep concealment is required and the clothes required for business would show if I was carrying something less er... mouse-y... kind of a 380 vs nada...

Second thought - completely disconnected from the above.

I don't try to tell my dad what to do... He's a big boy and can make his own decisions...
    After all, he had the strength and wisdom to raise me, right? If we're discussing the matter - well, I may make my opinion known. But at the end of the day IT'S HIS LIFE. And as for my mom - well she chose to marry HIM not me...

Opinions are freely given - what people do with them is their choice. My wish as their son (for them to see things the way I do) does NOT trump their free will - at least that's my opinion. I fully capable of screwing things up well enough myself! I don't need to add their decisions to the list and second guess them and sweat that as well.

Also - let's put it in perspective - it's a choice of an LCP vs. a Glock or something. It's not like he's choosing whether or not to go play on the freeway or something immediately threatening. It's a _preference_.

Again - that's the way I choose to look at it. Your mileage may vary, etc. And again - no ill intent - not trying to offend.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    A foolproof method nearly guaranteed to work for the stubbornest. It will require an investment. One that a monetary value cannot be placed on if your folks ever have to actually use their guns.

Send them to defensive pistol classes.

words from a wise, wise man right there.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    snipped....
    ...I don't try to tell my dad what to do... He's a big boy and can make his own decisions... After all, he had the strength and wisdom to raise me, right? If we're discussing the matter - well, I may make my opinion known. But at the end of the day IT'S HIS LIFE. And as for my mom - well she chose to marry HIM not me...

Opinions are freely given - what people do with them is their choice. My wish as their son (for them to see things the way I do) does NOT trump their free will - at least that's my opinion. I fully capable of screwing things up well enough myself! I don't need to add their decisions to the list and second guess them and sweat that as well.

Also - let's put it in perspective - it's a choice of an LCP vs. a Glock or something. It's not like he's choosing whether or not to go play on the freeway or something immediately threatening. It's a _preference_.
    :yesway: :yesway:
    I would listen to my son's opinion, and then make my own decision. My son can think he is smarter than me, but he better not tell it to the internet! And when it comes to choice of concealed carry weapons a LOT of INGO'ers choose mouse guns for various good reasons, including me. Now as far as having a LTCH and NOT carrying, your dad does need to hear your opinion. Tell him you read it on the internet, "It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it."

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    These are just my thoughts so take them for what you will.

Any gun is better then no gun at all. Also accuracy is always more important that caliber size. I have no fear of being underpowered carrying my Beretta 84 because I can hit what I aim at. I would have little fear of carrying even a .22 lr pistol because of the fact I can place my rounds accurately.

I always find it funny, personally, when people try to say that anything less than a certain caliber is just going to make a perp mad should you need to shoot. Carry what is comfortable and accurate for you to shoot. It does little good to carry a 9mm, .40 or even a .45 if you can't place shots where you want at 10 yards.

I can understand when people here for the most part disagree with these thoughts because of the mindset that has been ingrained in people that bigger is always better. This mindset has been applied not only to guns but to most everything life.

Larger caliber weapons have shown to be much more devastating to be sure. But saying that only the biggest calibers of handguns are all that anyone should carry is a bit over the top here and on most gun forums I am a member of.

So take these thoughts as you will or disregard them completely. In the end personal choice is the only choice that matters.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Better to have a mouse gun and carry it all the time than to have a larger gun and leave it at home or in the car.

The exact sentiment I was going to add.

A .380 in the pocket is better than a .50BMG in the safe. If that is what he wants, so be it. I dont think the KelTec 9mm is a bad choice, and the LCP is a good choice for deep concealment.

You are insisting he needs to carry a subcompact. The KelTec 9mm is not much smaller than a subcompact. If he can shoot it consistently, it is doing its job.

shotgun131313

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Clark county
    father knows best.first consider the risk assessment.most older people do not go places and do what younger folks do second it is their choise not yours. you young whipper snapper..............

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    If thats what he wants and is comfortable, let him be. Chances are if he were to get something bigger he wouldn't carry at all. Better to have a 380 than nothing!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I always find it funny, personally, when people try to say that anything less than a certain caliber is just going to make a perp mad should you need to shoot. Carry what is comfortable and accurate for you to shoot. It does little good to carry a 9mm, .40 or even a .45 if you can't place shots where you want at 10 yards.

To be fair, a .25 auto would probably just make the bad guy mad. There may be some decent shooters out there in .25 but the 3 that I've shot were nothing but junk. It was hard enough to keep on paper at 10 yards for multiple shots(if you could get multiple shots without having some sort of malfunction).

For the OP, if a .380 or a small 9mm is too much of a problem why don't YOU buy them what YOU think they should carry? If they can handle the guns they bought and put in some practice time, even a little .380 should be fine for possible bad guys.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    To be fair, a .25 auto would probably just make the bad guy mad. There may be some decent shooters out there in .25 but the 3 that I've shot were nothing but junk. It was hard enough to keep on paper at 10 yards for multiple shots(if you could get multiple shots without having some sort of malfunction).
    You should shoot my 21a sometime. Ammo is spendy but I put all 7 rounds in a big slam bottle at 10 yards nearly every time I get it out. I'm amazed at its accuracy and don't know whether to attribute it to the fact that it's a Beretta or the fact that it's centerfire?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Recently sold off a P3AT to an INGO member to partially fund the purchase of a Sig P238. I love the 238, and I'm not looking to sell it. It's a wonderful shooter, especially compared to the KelTecs and (I must surely imagine) the LCPs. The weight and larger grip make that much of a difference. The problem is that it's a very nice finish, and just slightly larger and wider. I quit trying to carry it because it prints in a pocket, I kept dropping my keys in on top of it, (Awful thing to do to the finish of this work of art) and it's just a little heavier. Now I'm looking for another P3AT and carrying my P32. To be honest, I do think the .32 acp is just a little small for self defense, but, as stated above, better to have SOMETHING in the pocket that you'll actually carry than a .45 at home in the safe. I just love the thinness of the KelTecs, and I'm really not thinking about ergos too much when tshtf...

On an unrelated note, the .32 is a lot friendlier to practice with, for any of you considering one.

Dr_O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    It simply boils down to what works for your Dad. Not you.

There are just too many factors that affect an individual's choice for CC; size, weight, recoil, style of dress, method of concealment, etc.

If stopping power was the only factor that mattered then all guns would be giant cannons.

bighop1

Plinker
    Rating - 98.8%
    79   1   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    I feel having a gun with you as a habit is the key . A BABY BROWNING i believe is an ideal gun for anyone to carry so small , so loud, very accurate for size. For those who say it would only make a bad guy mad MUST be dealing with superman. One shot to the head wont just make a bad guy P. O. ed it will ruin his whole day trust me .

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    DBS

OP is experiencing Diapered Butt Syndrome. If they diapered your butt they don't have to take your advice. No matter how wise and well considered. It is VERY difficult to give advice to a parent in a mild respectful fashion likely to get agreement. The slightest hint of attitude,( which, let's face it, was apparent in OP's posts) will cause them to remember all the stupid stuff you ever did as a youngster and seriously doubt the wisdom of whatever you say. Let them carry what they think they need and attempt to nudge them toward training. Be gentle. They didn't choke the life out of when you so desperately deserved it so be nice.:D:)::laugh:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Old people are just set in their ways, deal with it. Just be happy that your parents are exercising their rights and be happy they are around to go shooting with you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    i think some of you missed my post where i Said, he buys these then complains how they shoot so poorly WON'T EVEN CARRY IT and then he tries to get my mom to buy one.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm dealing with the same thing with my father-in-law. He bought a giant .357, that is WAY to big and heavy for him to carry (let alone shoot accurately). Heck, his wife can't even pull the DA trigger, or cock the hammer for SA. Since that gun won't work, he now want's the other extreme: a pea-shooter pocket gun.

As long as it is reliable, he'll carry it, and he'll take it to the range, it really doesn't matter to me. If he decides he doesn't like that small one, maybe I can get him to try something in the middle. As long as it is his money we are spending....

If you can get your mom to the range to try a few, just ask her which she would have when things go sideways. If she is anything like my mother-in-law, once she makes up her mind it won't matter one bit what her husband says!

Top Bottom