How to get my wife to shoot with me?!!!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    I cant for the life of me get my wife to shoot with me. I mean we have a range in the backyard, she can shoot whenever she wants! I did get her to work on the car with me so I am past that obstacle.

But getting her to shoot is not working out. She only shoots about once a year when the whole family gets the .50cal muzzle loaders together and shoots.

I want to teach her how to shoot and then move on to the self defense aspect so she can get a LTCH and have her own gun.

ANY and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Do you have any 22's?? 50 caliber is pretty intimidating to the occassional shooter. Quieter, cleaner 22's with reactive targets be them spinner or the reset type where you can score or instantly see without all the walking really got my family shooting against one another and increased the fun factor.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    nope she doesnt love the muzzle loader.... we just shoot those on thanksgiving..

as far as .22 I have a pistol and a rifle and the shoot n see targets....

I borrowed a steel plate this past week and was trying to get her to shoot at that with me cause she commented on how cool it was that it "dinged"

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My wife and I got our LTCHs more as a political statement, than with the intention of carrying, or shooting. But as soon as the LTCHs arrived, some local crimes were going on, and my wife said " I think it's time we bought a gun." Needless to say I wasted no time putting together the purchase. The ball rolled after that.

From this experience, maybe you could use the backdoor approach of getting her LTCH first, just to show solidarity with 2A people. Once that license arrives, the thought processes will hopefully be set into motion.... Just my suggestion.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    My wife and I got our LTCHs more as a political statement, than with the intention of carrying, or shooting. But as soon as the LTCHs arrived, some local crimes were going on, and my wife said " I think it's time we bought a gun."quote]

Very true! When what is now my wife and I were dating she wanted nothing to do with guns. When we moved in together she was scared of them and wouldn't touch them at all. I left a small 38 on the stove for 3-4 days one time (in a holster) and she didn't cook at all during the time it sat there. That was the last straw for me. THis fat boys gotta eat!:popcorn:

I convenced her to get her permit to carry and spend a full day on a firing range with me so she would be confortable with handling and firing hand guns. It was a no go for me trying to teach my wife. Very frustrating for her and I. I had to enlist my brother to come out on another day and for him to teach her.

She now has her LTCH and even requests to go shooting now. So much that we are getting rid of our kid for the whole day this Saturday and she asked to go shooting on that day.:rockwoot:

Another key is to find something she likes. She HATES shooting my little 38 revolver, but loves the G19, Taurus PT1911, and of course the P22.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Its more of an excuse to allow me to shoot everyday..

I know where you are coming from though and I agree

I was just kidding, figured it would get some attention from the women members.

I have a 22 pistol that you can borrow to let your wife shoot. I think something like that would be more enjoyable than a 1911 compact to shoot.

Plus get your kids into it, then mom will be more apt to get interested.

My wife has nothing to do with guns, but will come out when I have the boys shooting BB guns and 22's

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I cant for the life of me get my wife to shoot with me. I mean we have a range in the backyard, she can shoot whenever she wants! I did get her to work on the car with me so I am past that obstacle.

But getting her to shoot is not working out. She only shoots about once a year when the whole family gets the .50cal muzzle loaders together and shoots.

I want to teach her how to shoot and then move on to the self defense aspect so she can get a LTCH and have her own gun.

ANY and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stop worring about TEACHING and start thinking about what is fun. Make it fun for her and she will be dragging YOU out there.

To many guys turn it in to a "show her how competent I am" day instead of "she will like this". Only takes once and a woman has a memory like an elephant for something she didn't like. Yes, that's from expirience.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You could try telling her that Yolanda, the gorgeous co-worker with big breasts and a reputation for sex in the outdoors, wants to come shooting with you.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    I was just kidding, figured it would get some attention from the women members.

I have a 22 pistol that you can borrow to let your wife shoot. I think something like that would be more enjoyable than a 1911 compact to shoot.

Plus get your kids into it, then mom will be more apt to get interested.

My wife has nothing to do with guns, but will come out when I have the boys shooting BB guns and 22's

the other day I was shooting at your steel with a .22 rifle and she was outside and didnt seem to mind that.. Is the pistol quiet too?

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Send her to us. She will have a safe, fun time and learn a great foundation of safety and marksmanship. We use .22's and then give our students the chance to shoot something larger. Thus far we have never failed in turning ANYONE who was against shooting that attended our course, into an informed, safe shooter.

Top Bottom