How to get rid of Sparrows in my car port ??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    I have had a large amount of Sparrows nesting in my car port this year, I have never had this happen since I built it 10 years ago. Anyone know of a method to eradicate them ?? The bird crap all over everything is getting out of control.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Mom and dad have a large roof over the front of their house/porch with three ceiling fans for comfort. Dang birds started sitting and crapping down through them. Read about a guy whose wife parked under a tree for years and one spring the birds were covering her car with crap. Someone said to buy some cheap plastic/rubber snakes and throw them up into the tree. Guy said he did and it was like flipping a switch, no more crap or birds. So for the past 3-5 years when I hang the fans in the spring I lay a rubber snake onto of each one. No birds or crap. I even laid one on my tractor hood as I park in a lean to. No more birds or crap. It worked here!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I took some of that cheap gutter guard stuff and used it to block the openings in my carport sheet metal. I just cut it and friction fit it into place. It worked for a few years. Last year or maybe the year before, they figured out how to pull it loose and get in behind it.

I can’t speak about the snake thing but the plant tried owls, electronic hawk calls, etc to scare off the starlings. Seems to me, any of those might work for awhile but even birds figure it out sooner or later.

Tagging for more ideas.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    I've got to go with FarmerJon on this one. I had some sparrows slip through a hole in my garage wall and the sparrows found it. They crapped all over my motorcycle - you know how hard those are to clean. Found some plastic snakes at a toy store, no more birds. On a side note I also fixed the hole once I got rid of all of the birds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had the same issues last year. They were nesting and gathering along the outside edges of the roof. They forced a way in and it was on. I used a garden hose to torture the little batsages outside and once the vacated I used expanding foam to fill the areas they were in.
    A .177 pellet rifle took care of the 4 trapped inside. Not had the issue since. I hate them. They serve no purpose but to feed Ferrell cats.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    We had the same issues last year. They were nesting and gathering along the outside edges of the roof. They forced a way in and it was on. I used a garden hose to torture the little batsages outside and once the vacated I used expanding foam to fill the areas they were in.
    A .177 pellet rifle took care of the 4 trapped inside. Not had the issue since. I hate them. They serve no purpose but to feed Ferrell cats.
    How is the foam holding up? So far they are only in one spot on my rv port.
    I have used black 1/2”netting with good success on the bottom of a lean to type awning that extends from my garden shed. On for about 5 years now.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How is the foam holing up? So far they are only in one spot on my rv port.
    I have used black 1/2”netting with good success on the bottom of a lean to type awning that extends from my garden shed. On for about 5 years now.
    They have attacked the foam but where I have it its pretty deep. When we know they are there we bust some bird buts with the pellet rifles. I have a Sig semi auto .177 20 shot gas operated with a Vortex red dot. Its a bird butt buster.
    We will use some wire barrier I have to cover those holes. I hate those ****ing birds. They are a menace.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We have always had 4 large hanging baskets on the porch. Year before last a pair of some kind of finches nested in one. Whatever flower was growing in the basket, my wife wasn't overly attached to so she left the birds alone. They ended up nearly killing the plant by the time they raised their chicks and moved out.

Last year we spent a ton of money on 4 huge ferns. When, what I can only assume was, the same pair of finches showed up and began to make a nest, she declared war. Each fern got a bunch of pointy wooden BBQ skewers and a couple rubber snakes. Birds got the message and nested elsewhere.

Daughter had barn swallows making nice, messy, mud nests under her porch roof. I installed a few of these for her...

Bird Spikes

It did the trick. But a nest weaver like a sparrow might just use it as a nice substrate for nest building.

Another option, I wouldn't use it cause I hate sparrows, would be to offer them a better place for nesting...

HOUSE SPARROW NEST BOX

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Grandpa would give us a tube of BB’s, have us load up 4-5 per pouch in our sycamore and tire tube sling shots and tell us to have at it. Very rarely did we kill anything but they got the message there were better and safer places to dump than on his Buick.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    When we had a houseboat down at Dale Hollow people would string piano wire or monofilament line a couple of inches above the places the birds would roost and it kept them out. No LZ, no birds. Go **** somewhere else!

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    I tried the rubber snake trick, it seems to work. Not 100 percent but it has reduced the concentration of them and they wont just sit around and crap all over. They seem to fly in and out pretty quick.

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    I've heard people use those plastic owls. I can't confirm if it works.
    can confirm the owls, hawks, etc. do not work. The sparrows won't fly within about 5 feet of them, but it doesn't deter them at all from the space.

I'll have to give the snakes a try, because I have a real problem with them in my barn.

rrschooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    I've also heard that old CDs or metallic colored streams are supposed to work, but I haven't had a chance to try that.

Top Bottom