• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My last surviving grandparent is getting up in age and seems to be having some difficulty with his mind. My step grandmother has a daughter who was a drug addict when she gave birth to one of her children and he was adopted by them when he was young. He is half minority but i'm not judging.
    The problem is my grandfather has several firearms I would love to bring home to pass on to my children of his blood. He's been saying that DJ will get the guns when he turns 18 which I believe is in a few years. I haven't really spent too much time with my grandfather as there was drama growing up with him and my mom I'm 27 now.Since I got my license been doing my best to make my rounds and see him esp when I was in the service. I have made several nudges at wanting those firearms in particular a shotgun my grandmother bought him in the late 50's early 60's a Remington I believe haven't thought about this for a while so forgot details. He's also got a S&W 586-1 in decent shape hasn't been cleaned in a long time and has some surface rust. I wouldn't mind getting that and trading for another 4506. He also has another 12 ga and an older 38.
    My Aunt says she would be pissed if that kid gets those guns. I agree with her. I heard he planned on moving back with his mom now that shes clean in New York and we all know what would happen with those guns.
    With deer season coming up I thought about asking to borrow the shotgun saying i would be going with some guys from work and "forget" about it as I'm sure he would he's been known to repeat the same stories over and over. I know this is wrong but could be the only way to get a family heirloom to pass on.
    Or I could talk to DJ when he turns 18 if he gets the guns and say hey man I would really love to have my grandmothers shotgun I could care less what you do with the rest if you don't want them I'll take them to. He has shown no interest in these guns by the way, or made an effort to want to learn to hunt or go shooting. He stays at home and plays Xbox all day if he isn't playing soccer
    I plan on going over there this Saturday to show him the bike I bought a few months back after a bike ride for a Vet who died recently. What are your guys' thoughts and suggestions?

Last edited:

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    If the guns mean that much to you offer to buy them on the spot. It will save you the potential bad blood of who got what from the estate. Dont try to scam an inheritance.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    I have an unfortunate amount of experience in dealing with inheritance issues when elders pass on. We racoons tend to have large litters and often get hit by cars.

If something is that important to you, then you need to go strait to your grandfather when he is in his right mind and just be honest with him. Tell him how much it means to you, tell him you will treasure it, and offer to pay him a fair price for it.

Doing this now will save everyone drama. Scamming from your dottering old relatives is the fastest way possible to loose all respect from your family, and earn a one way ticket to the lowest circle of hell... or whatever place of torment your species believes in.

Last edited:

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I have an unfortunate amount of experience in dealing with inheritance issues when elders pass on. We racoons tend to have large litters and often get hit by cars.

If something is that important to you, then you need to go strait to your grandfather when he is in his right mind and just be honest with him. Tell him how much it means to you, tell him you will treasure it, and offer to pay him a fair price for it.

Doing this now will save everyone drama. Scamming from your dottering old relatives is the fastest way possible to loose all respect from your family, and earn a one way ticket to the lowest circle of hell... or whatever place of torment your species believes in.

:laugh:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd also suggest offering to buy that shotgun after telling him what it means to you (and any of the others you would like). Odds are if he is the typical grandparent He'll hand it to you on the spot and tell you to keep your money.

And one thing disturbed me about your post... You mentioned wanting to get one or two of the others that you really didnt care for so that you can sell them to get what you REALLY want. That is just being an opportunistic, greedy jerk IMHO. Its one thing to want an heirloom for its sentimental value so that you can keep and possibly use in the future (and possibly even hand it down again), but quite another to want to get it just to turn around and sell it because its not what you wanted in the first place.

While its understandable that a non-gunner gets them and sells them might seem offensive to someone who could actually use them, I dont see them being sold off by the avid gunner to get what he really wants being all that much different. In the end the heirlooms are still in somebody else's hands and out of family circulation.

45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    I think there is nothing wrong with letting your granddad know that you are interested in the shot gun. From there, leave it alone. I have family that don't talk to each other anymore because so and so didn't get this or that. Is it worth getting shunned by your family?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My Aunt and mom would very much be happy if he were to give me the shotgun. My Great Aunt and second cousin would be fine too. As for the others if he were to give them to me I don't plan on buying more ammo for guns I probably wouldn't shoot, so would trade for something more useful to me. If the kid did get them and didn't want them same as above would rather them go to someone who would use than sit and rot away. I did say in my post trying to scam it would be wrong. I do have morals, and have tried in the past to get the shotgun. May try a different approach after Saturday get him and me alone and lay it on the line. Will probably ask to see the shotgun again and see where it goes.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Offer to buy them or buy the new xbox as soon as it comes out and trade the new xbox for all of them. Either way u need to come on with some money one way or another. Don't be cheap when it comes to things u want.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I need to see a family tree on this one to make sense of this.

If I've read it correctly, the other firearms have no sentimental value to you and what you really want is a valuable asset you can liquidate for funding other desires. So you have the same desires as "DJ" - money.

Express interest in the shotgun and offer money is necessary. State that firearm in particular has value in your eyes above it's cash value. State that'd you be willing to fore go any claims to the other firearms in favor of that one.

Most of all, remember that these items are not your possessions, nor do you have any rights to them. They are your grandfathers, and he alone has the discretion to gift them to whom he sees fit. It's the heirs' sense of entitlement to material goods that can destroy a family. It's obvious that possessions seem to matter more to some than people and relationships.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You keep talking about trading them for other stuff... or am I misreading? So they really don't mean that much to you?
    The guns I got from my Dad will never be sold or traded in my lifetime.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    All I want is the shotgun and everyone on my mom's side would rather me get the shotgun that my grandmother bought him years and years ago. If he were to give me the rest I'm not asking for them, but if I did get them I have no use for them. Would you rather them sit in a safe somewhere and rot away or rather have people like you who would enjoy them or possibly somebody who may or may not be a criminal? The kid doesn't know the laws about firearm transfers. If I didn't have morals I wouldn't have said right after the first message I know its wrong or care about transferring firearms and ensuring they are in the right mind and not a criminal. I guess maybe I should re highlight that part in purple as it was kinda sarcastic.

Top Bottom