• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I have just recently started gathering things for BOBs, GHBs, etc. As I read and read about these, disaster preparedness, training, and prepping in general, I find it all spinning around in my head. So, what I’m working on is a spreadsheet that allows me to keep track of what is in my bags, home, or anywhere. Right now, every time I open the spreadsheet, it will highlight things within 60 days of being cycled in yellow, items within 30 days of being cycled in red. All I have to do is enter the item, how long it can last, and it will give me its cycle date along with the highlights.

I think I’m going to add weight for each item so that I can have an estimate of how much my stuff weighs. And I’ll possibly include some reference material, like a table of common expiration dates for lots of items for example.

So I guess my question to everyone is if the group would something like this useful. Or maybe something like this already exists and I’m just wasting my time. I’m curious as to what else you might find useful with it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Then, it will be time to stop archiving the material and start using it, at which point the spreadsheet will by nigh unto useless.

This is partly true except he will be using the spreadsheet for cycle times. So, either the items will need labeled/numbered/dated or there will need to be a paper copy somewhere.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    So, either the items will need labeled/numbered/dated

I am not suggesting that things not be labeled or that we pack a bag and ignore it. We have to go through them but I can sit here at work, open it up, and be immediately pulled to something that I should rotate out. I don't think anything changes with what you do. It might be possible to not have to go through things as often when I have the information in one place.

I would assume such things as product expiry dates would only be in the spreadsheet by way of copying from the packaging itself. The spreadsheet is not a font of information, but merely a centralized repository.

You got it. Nothing takes the place of the dates on the package. Things change when things are dried, canned, etc. These dates vary for everyone maybe but here is one reference I am using.

http://www.solareagle.com/PREP/SHLFLIFE.HTM

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I could see having an inventory, but I don't see the point in the rest. It seems like your time will be better suited honing your skills making fire, building shelter, hunting, etc. Versus wasting your time with a fancy spreadsheet.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I recommend practicing/training with your bags. Nothing will engrain in your memory what exactly you have, where it is, and how to use it then repeatedly forcing yourself to use it in a hury...

I find spreadsheets useful for keeping track of what you have vs what you need to buy still.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I'm a spreadsheet junky. I've got spreadsheets that track to-do's, BOBs/GHBs, food stores, shopping list for preps, Guns/ammo/magazines, Knives and a few other things. It's good to identify gaps, track what I do have, what I want, what I need.

I think it's a good idea for everyone to have some level of spreadsheet or notebook they use to track what they have.

If you're not organized, you're hoarding. ;)

And yes, I do keep updated printed copies of a couple of the tabs and I keep 2 backups, one on a thumb drive in a document fire safe and another online.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I just have a Word table with number, item, description and location headings. Don't have much that is going to expire. Copies on home computer, 2 separate flash drives, and paper in the safe.

Top Bottom