• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    For various reasons, sometimes mothers choose to formula feed their infants. Sometimes it is because of medical reasons, sometimes it is because the doctors actually recommended it, sometimes it is out of vanity, or sometimes out of just convenience or laziness.

The benefits of breastfeeding cannot even be quantified. The baby receives all the antibodies, immunity, and nutrients it could ever ask for from mother's milk. But for the time being I am going to talk about how disgusting baby formula can be.

Here is a Canadian study about baby formulas that contain neurotoxins. The study found that formulas contained free glutamic acid (MSG) and free aspartic acid (Aspartame). For those of you who don't know, these chemicals are widely consumed in processed foods, and are have nasty effects on your long-term health.

Here's an article from a blasphemous pediatrician who speaks out against corn syrup in formula, and talks about the health problems and obesity that can be caused by consuming corn syrup.

Read the cans. See for yourself. The ingredients from most formulas read like a can of soda. Everything your baby needs to grow up chronically ill. Why you would feed that to yourself, let alone a developing infant, is beyond me. Usually the top ingredients include corn syrup.

Quit poisoning yourselves. Don't trust your health with a clever marketer.

Similac Go & Grow Infant formula - NaturalNews
    Similac-Label-Ingredients.jpg
    similac-formula.jpg

Similac Isomil Baby Formula

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    In my case, I am lactose intolerant, and my sister is allergic to milk. I still would recommend breast-feeding. I'd rather have a healthy immune system and get all the necessary parts to the puzzle then avoid diarrhea for a few years. Of course, I'm not the one who changed my own diapers...but I digress. Although I am sure there are some formulas that are good to use, there have to be...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Although I am sure there are some formulas that are good to use, there have to be...

There are, but they will cost you. And they won't be obvious. Every bottle is marketed to make you think its going to catapult your baby into health.

Don't trust a word on the bottle. Analyze the ingredients. Sometimes its nice to find a network of concerned parents who can give recommendations for making the best choices. You can share product recommendations.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The benefits of breastfeeding cannot even be quantified. The baby receives all the antibodies, immunity, and nutrients it could ever ask for from mother's milk.

Truest words said today....in my High Horse Dr. House Superiority Opinion that is. However you failed to mention on very important FACT about Nursing vs Formula..

:spend: :spend: :spend: :spend: :spend:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    However you failed to mention on very important FACT about Nursing vs Formula..

:spend: :spend: :spend: :spend: :spend:

Ha! You're right - formula costs a fortune. Some people spend the money and actually think that they are supplementing their baby with extra nutrients. Breastmilk is superior to any formula and I could make an entire thread about the benefits of it. I would only consider formula if it were a last resort, and if it were as organic as possible.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, both of my kids were bottle fed and are healthier than horses and at the better end of the growth and development scale, physically and intellectually. While breast milk may be the optimum, formulas aren't some evil plot and many are formulated to approximate breast milk and its benefits. Reading labels is a no brainer for almost everything you decide to ingest.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This isn't a universal condemnation of all formulas, or parents who buy them. Some formulas are much worse than others though, like these ones I'm pointing out. As I said, the ingredients on some baby formulas are nutritionally equivalent to soda pop, and people drink those products and think they are safe too. The trouble is the long-term and the chronic illnesses that will materialize, and will never be attributed to their real culprit.

The harmful effects of MSG, Aspartame, and Corn Syrup could each take up a thread of their own.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have never used the above mentioned forumlas for my children, but are you stating that Abbot (apparently parent company of Similac) is lying on their labels?

This is a link to what their ingredents are for the Go and Grow
    Similac Go and Grow® Milk-Based Formula

It appears that most of their formulas do not have Corn Syrup, only the once that are advertised to not contain lactose. These are some of the Soy brands and the sensitivity ones.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I've read a few books about how your blood type affects how your system digests different types of food. Eat Right 4 Your Type is the most popular one.

I've wondered if this affects how babies respond to the different formulas. For example, people with O blood type sometimes do not tolerate cow's milk well, while people with B blood type tend to thrive on it.

My kids turned out this way. My son is a B, and he thrived on milk-based formula. My daughter is an O and can not tolerate the milk-based formulas at all, so we're going to try to stick with breast-feeding. There are no mainstream formulas out there that are appropriate for O blood type babies, although soy seemed to irritate her stomach less.

Nothing that we engineer can match the benefits of breast-feeding, since breast milk is specifically designed by the mother's body to supply exactly what her particular baby needs. I must admit that I have a difficult time entrusting my childrens' sole food source to companies that choose corn syrup solids as the primary ingredient of some of their formulas, and I feel bad for parents who have no other choice.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Research has shown the mother passes toxins in her breast milk as well as nutrients. Depending on what mom has been exposed to in her life, this can be quite detrimental to baby.

But I'm all for breast feeding and boobs in general. I just don't think the world is as cut and dry as some like to say it is.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    nevermind the physical benefits of breastfeeding, there are a lot of psychological benefits too. breastfeeding is the number one way to stave off post-partem depression, children that breastfeed have a stronger bond with their mothers and vice-versa and besides... formula bottles... boobs...formula bottles...boobs... I know which one I'd rather see left out on the kitchen counter.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Adoption..... Not exactly going to be able to breast feed.....

Just sayin. :)

Right on. Another totally legitimate reason why it is good to have options like formula. This thread is just a warning to read the ingredients and buy organic.

Top Bottom