• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IKR. I'm not sure if this thread should make me feel old, or not.

I don't see the problem with simply mailing a personal check. Is there more to this story?
    Yes

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I know the recipients. I know the amount. I don't necessarily know their whereabouts. I'm intrigued by the Paypal suggestion. How would it work? I'm guessing they would all need Paypal accts.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Pay my bills by check thru the mail. Small town and I have a PO box so all outgoing mail gets deposited in the drop box outside the Post Office. A lot of thieves like to take the mail out personal mail boxes alongside the road.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I know the recipients. I know the amount. I don't necessarily know their whereabouts. I'm intrigued by the Paypal suggestion. How would it work? I'm guessing they would all need Paypal accts.
    Yes, everyone would need their own PayPal account. A PayPal account is linked to your bank or credit card for funding, and you can transfer money from your account to anyone's account by using their email or phone number that is linked to their account. You don't need to know their whereabouts.

Western Union or MoneyGram is a little more of a hassle, but is another viable way to transfer funds. You set up an account, link it to your funding source and choose the recipient. They will need to take their ID and a confirmation/security number to a Western Union or MoneyGram office to pick up the funds, so you'll at least need to know their general whereabouts to see if there is an office convenient to them.

Reactions: DCR

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not sure of the technicalities, but I pay a couple of my utility bills via Chase Bank's payment procedure. Might be worth a look at your bank?

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    If one is to Jimmy Swaggart, just send it to Baton Rouge LA. it will get to him.

I'm old school also. I mail checks every month via USPS from my mailbox using a forever stamp.
    In all these years only one check did not make it, That was to CenterPoint Energy back in 2021 during the big freeze down in Texas.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If one is to Jimmy Swaggart, just send it to Baton Rouge LA. it will get to him.

I'm old school also. I mail checks every month via USPS from my mailbox using a forever stamp.
    In all these years only one check did not make it, That was to CenterPoint Energy back in 2021 during the big freeze down in Texas.
    I don't mail from our box because I don't trust our carrier. I mail from the post office box or from work. I get a lot of insurance checks at work every day for thousands of claims every year. In the past five years, I have had one envelope of checks that never arrived and had to be reissued.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    With the concern you have, it would be best for you to hand deliver each check yourself.
    TY This comment has actually brought a good deal of clarification to my question.
    Thanks for all comments and suggestions.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I want to send seven people a check. It will be a surprise.

This sounds like a Chain Letter pyramid scheme. Any Nigerian addresses?

If mailing deposit directly into a postal mail box. Even better would be going to the post office counter (GFZ with a felony, even in the parking lot).

Do not use a birthday card looking envelope as everyone knows it has a check from grandma inside. A regular business type envelope is good but have to be careful the recipient does not throw it away thinking it is junk mail. Put check inside a piece of paper or use a security envelope. I like Creedmoor’s suggestion of USPS Flat Rate Envelopes.

I have had business checks “washed” at my office. The key to postal security is never having an envelope sitting in a publicly accessible location. Put outgoing mail directly in a secured mailbox, not your residential mailbox with a flag that says steal me. Send to a PO Box or business address where the postman hands it directly to a trusted person.

Does it have to be a surprise with the check enclosed? Send a letter that you have money for them and to contact you to arrange transfer procedures. Then you can mail, PayPal, wire transfer, etc. as appropriate for each recipient. From the amount of money you are hinting at a few extra days for secure delivery makes sense.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    TY This comment has actually brought a good deal of clarification to my question.
    Thanks for all comments and suggestions.
    Is your passport valid? ;)

So no one asked, but what kind of money are we talking about? Is it, "Oh well, lesson learned", or, "****!!! How can we recover?" kind of money?

And the longer this thread goes, the more intrigued I am. (and possibly concerned)

Reactions: DCR
    Top Bottom