• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    OK so here I am, already a prepper at heart with knowledge and some equipment in hand blah blah blah.

Sad to say I am also a newb as well. I have a medium Alice pack with the frame and I have been in several personal shtf situations, like being without a home and carless, and short on money etc.

I am seriously trying to get a BOB set up and my pack is all I have for now.

My question is how to properly and efficiently pack the pack so it is useful. I will be testing it out here In the next month on a camp out. But ,y issue is when I stack my stuff it fills fast, just folded BDUs take much of my space. There's a method to the madness I know, and I'd like some experienced input so I can maximize my gear.

Thanks

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    There are a couple methods to packing a single-entrance/open top pack. One method is to pack heavy items first, then lighter items. Get rid of any commercial packaging, consolidate items where you can, put smaller/need-to-get-at items in the outer pockets, rain/cold weather gear in a bag outside where you can get at it easily.

Another method is to load your pack in the order in which you expect to need things; e.g. cooking/food items on top.

I don't pack extra outer clothing/boots in my BOB; I have them in a separate bag in my car. I DO pack extra inner clothing layers and socks in my BOB; but I plan to exterior-load any extra outer-clothing (e.g. jackets/coats/rain gear) I'm going to need based on the weather and climate.

Hope that helps somewhat.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I hate ALICE packs! I used one when I did my first backpacking trip back in the 90's. Mine had a metal external frame and I would recommend taking that off because I think it did more harm than good. Also, focus on keeping things light and not taking extras with you. Of course, knowing what not to take is part of your past experiences. Like do you really need to take a pair of BDU's? What will you be wearing when you head out, can you make those clothes work. If you are wearing BDU's, do you need a 2nd pair?

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    There are a couple methods to packing a single-entrance/open top pack. One method is to pack heavy items first, then lighter items. Get rid of any commercial packaging, consolidate items where you can, put smaller/need-to-get-at items in the outer pockets, rain/cold weather gear in a bag outside where you can get at it easily.

Another method is to load your pack in the order in which you expect to need things; e.g. cooking/food items on top.

I don't pack extra outer clothing/boots in my BOB; I have them in a separate bag in my car. I DO pack extra inner clothing layers and socks in my BOB; but I plan to exterior-load any extra outer-clothing (e.g. jackets/coats/rain gear) I'm going to need based on the weather and climate.

Hope that helps somewhat.

That is the POV I use because of how limited my space is, afterall, its not the large pack that can hold just about everything should of my gun(s) and ammo.

Rolling clothes instead of folding them saves space.

Didn't think of that, I'll try that next time. What about stuffing them in say ULINE zip lock bags?

I hate ALICE packs! I used one when I did my first backpacking trip back in the 90's. Mine had a metal external frame and I would recommend taking that off because I think it did more harm than good. Also, focus on keeping things light and not taking extras with you. Of course, knowing what not to take is part of your past experiences. Like do you really need to take a pair of BDU's? What will you be wearing when you head out, can you make those clothes work. If you are wearing BDU's, do you need a 2nd pair?

I have reduced my pack contents to the minimums needed to survive for extended stays and/or 3 days. yes an extra set of BDUs is necessary since they are ripstop and durable, and they are in essence, cargo clothes. one set will do just fine, under clothes can pack small in a pressed zip lock bag. I can get by with one extra set of clothes for emergencies (1 is none; 2 is one) rather than 2, but they must be able to hold up to rugged situations.

Thank you all, keep em coming :)

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I roll a spare set of clothes, put them in a dry bag and then squeeze all the air out. Having one pair of dry clothes can make a big difference when you are cold and wet. I don't flee from Zombies often but I camp and trek a lot.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I line mine with a milligram poncho and put the heavy stuff in first and or against the back. The higher and or further out the weight is the heavier it feels... So keep the weight as close to yur lower back as possible. Try different methods and see what works for you.

if your curious lining it with a poncho keeps your stuff dry in the rain.... Has worked well for me... If you do not want to have to deal with re packing it stick another one in an outside pouch..

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I always thought the poncho will also contain any water that makes its way in
    Not to mention if its raining and you need your poncho, your clothes will get wet. I have been using a trash compactor bag because they are sturdier than regular kitchen bags.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    On this note, is it then more worthwhile to invest in an ilbe and leave the Alice as a camping pack? I know Alice is tried and true but is it the most efficient for the price?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There are USGI Waterpoof bags that are meant to go in the alice packs. Get them. They help. They help with packing as you just slide the bag loaded with items in and out of your pack.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I roll a spare set of clothes, put them in a dry bag and then squeeze all the air out. Having one pair of dry clothes can make a big difference when you are cold and wet. I don't flee from Zombies often but I camp and trek a lot.

I'll counter that with a story: In 1978 I was on Active Duty at Ft. Lewis, Washington and had to attend a "survival training" exercise. We were required to take sleeping bags but other survival equipment was left up to us. One experienced CW3 used the items from his issued survival vest; the rest of us took whatever gear we thought we might need. It rained (thunderstormed) the night we were dropped off and rained off and on for the entire exercise. First lesson learned: Don't try to sleep on a hillside - you tend to slide down out of your rain cover and get wet. Second lesson learned: if you're using an ALICE pack, use a frame. It doesn't carry worth a darn without one. Third lesson learned: if possible, wear synthetics; wading through wet brush in 40 degree weather robs your body of precious heat and when you're on limited calories that can be deadly. Fortunately, our nomex flight suits dried out rapidly as soon as we got out of the wet conditions - unlike the fatigues some folks were wearing. Later on, I extended this lesson by wearing wicking long underwear under normal clothing. I still won't wear 100% cotton, but wicking underwear adds a layer for warmth and helps keep moisture away from the body core. Instead of a spare set of clothing, I keep a set of wicking long underwear in my BOB. My sewing kit will have to suffice for whatever I end up wearing, although, as I said in my post upthread, I keep a set of "bugout" clothing in the car in case what I'm wearing isn't appropriate (works well if I have to change a tire, too).

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    First, look into the 'hellcat' mod for your Alice. It affords comfort and adjustability. The trash compactor bag suggestion for both sleep system and clothes items works. Pack the heavy stuff close to the frame.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The comments regarding weight distribution are valid. Where you put the weight makes a big difference.

Blackhawk2001 is correct about the wicking. I didn't specify what type of clothing to have but the old backpacker's adage is "cotton kills". Under Armour is a little pricey but it dries fast. They have long underwear (in several weights), shirts, pants and outerwear. There are also off-brand synthetics that work well. I didn't consider using my UA long underwear for emergency clothing because they are already in use during winter camping. They would probably compress well though.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    IMO, if you can afford the Under Armour clothing, then you can afford a better pack. If your funds are tight, you can use any long underwear that is synthetic. I have polyester base layers, both long and short, from Walmart.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I've used ALICE packs, ILBE's, and the Marine Corps newest pack. You really cant go wrong with any of them. My only complaint is that the ilbe and the malice pack (i think thats the name of the new usmc one) is that they are way to big. The ilbe and malice packs are both indefinite packs assuming you can resupply on food and water. You can comfortably live out of those packs for months at a time. The medium alice is much better suited to 3-5 days.

Also making sure you pack light and realize what you actually need and what you can live without. if i'm going to be gone for 3-5 days in the summer i'm packing a light sleeping bag, bivvy sack, socks, and some minor misc. gear. 5+ days is going to be sleeping bag, bivvy sack, socks, poncho/poncho liner, complete change of clothes and gortex top and bottom, and some small misc stuff.

You can add water and food as necessary for your desired length of time your going to spend out.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Hmm I didn't think about alot of this. What about Wool? I thought wool kept you warm even when wet
    Honestly, anything is cold when wet but wool wicks the moisture away the best. Merino wool is the creme-dela-creme because it is so soft and tight woven (for wool). It works wonderfully and is very comfortable, but merino wool is also expensive. If you want to see how well merino wool works, start off with a pair of socks. You can get a pair for $15-30. Heck for hiking I don't use anything but merino wool socks.

Rugby04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Buy a USGI foam mat to strap to the bottom of the ALICE pack. Buy a modular sleeping bag system that is strapped to the top of the ALICE (inside the compression sack) and put everything else inside. I'd ditch the cammies and use poly clothes. You can rollup and stuff and entire outfit the size of a water bottle. Typically, if you're only out for several days, you just need a change of skivvies. Plus those poly clothes (and fleece) are lightweight and dry quickly. A poncho is a great thing to have as it can be both your shelter and rain jacket.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    I intend to purchase a mss from an info member but coming up with the funds have been difficult lately.

What about a usgi poncho liner. Worth its weight and money?

Top Bottom