• ...and so much more!
  • linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    Hey team.
    I just thought that since I’m doing tons of metal polishing now, (alum, brass, stainless, steel, etc), I would throw this down thread just incase anyone was curious on how polish up old oxidized, rusted metal’s to (near new).

First let cover some of the basic myths associated with polishing. Look at this as a (foundation) for you to build your knowledge of all things metal. Hahaaa.

1. All Metal polishes are the same
    Wrong.

There are Anti-oxidants, enhancers, grime removers, inhibitors, slip agents, etc., they all vary, sometimes enormously, from brand to brand

2. All general purpose metal polishes are good on any surface
    Again this understanding is wrong!

A polish that is good on stainless steel or chromium should be kept away from most soft metals especially gold, silver, platinum, pewter, copper and precious pieces.
    If it is hard enough to cut stainless it will gouge soft metals easily and remove unnecessary material. If it is good for finishing aluminum it probably won't touch chromium, bronze or stainless steel.
    That is not to say that a polish for fine or precious metals won't work on harder metals. It will cut slower. But a polish suitable for cutting hard metals from rough finishes will tear gold and silver apart.

3. All polished finishes have the same endurance
    Unfortunately not, some fade quickly, in particular the metal polishes that contain “ammoniates, or anhydrous”.

The ones that use acids are not generally far behind them. But also there are many others too. This can be caused by all manner of reasons. Lack of inhibitors, lack of protective waxes, or even the wrong waxes for the environment the finish has to endure. A bad ph. balance caused by the use of acids or alkali or even the protective wax, which is normally acidic, is another reason metal polish will fade.

4. All polished surfaces should be waxed or lacquered if you want it to really last
    This depends on environment.

Pieces subjected to ocean environments need protection with lacquers or clear coats.
    Show vehicles want their brightwork to be waxed where it counts, aluminum is normally wxaed to imptove the lustre. With stainless it depends on the quality of finish. Show chrome should never really need more than an ultrafine wax free maintenance polishing. Areas subject to heat should be wax and lacquer free.

5. A polish that is good on chrome will be good on stainless, or vice versa
    Depends again on what is in the polish.

There are ways of highlighting the components of a metal, and chromium is an ingredient of stainless. It's what makes it shine. There are polishes that are great on both. Many only excel on one or the other.

6. All buffing wheels are the same
    Wrong!.

There (2) different types of wheels, a cleaning wheel and a polishing wheel

Lets talk materials.
    Cleaning disks:
    I use 1 for the buffer and one for the drill

IMG_9701.jpg

Polishing disk:
    I only use this on the buffer

IMG_9759.jpg

Compounds:
    IMG_9753.jpg

Cleaning

IMG_9754.jpg

Initial buffing phase

IMG_9755.jpg

When you think your done and your ready for the final polish (think again!)

IMG_9757.jpg

This stuff is “hands down” the best cleaner around too, but it too expensive to use for that purpose.. it for when you think you done, it will humble you.. lol…

Then once you pass the MAAS test, then you finish it off with mother “billet” polish for a ultra deep high gloss shine.

IMG_9758.jpg

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So with that said and out of the way, let’s move along with the task at hand, polishing some metal.
    Ask yourself what (kind) of metal are you working with: is it a hard or soft metal?
    Answer Aluminum
    What condition is the metal in / what finish are you going for?
    Answer = Old, oxidized and rusted = polished look / shiny!

IMG_9678.jpg

Ok, then here are the steps you’ll need to follow to achieve you goal

IMG_9708.jpg

Clean it with a buffing compound comparable to your metal, for the forks I started out useing a rubbing compound because I wanted something that would bite in, I’m not concerned about the scratches at this point at all, just go to town with the part on the buffer.
    Once you preformed your initial clean wipe it down and remove the buildup, repeat this process “at least” 2-3 times, or until the item is thoroughly cleaned of all oxidation, once you achieved this your item should now look dull / shiny etc.

IMG_9719.jpg

Due to the amount of oxidization, etc I needed to perform 6 passes to finally get it to the clean stage.

Once the fork is cleaned I’ll hand rub the initial polish on the items from this point out, but I’m alternating between using the power buffer and hand buffing, here is the sequence that I use, for what it worth.

Hand rub on the polish, take off with the buffer, then wipe clean
    Hand rub on the polish, rub in the polish by hand, wipe clean
    Hand rub on the polish, take off with the buffer, then wipe clean
    Hand rub on the polish, rub in the polish by hand, wipe clean

4-6 pass usually get my thinking I’m done or at least pretty close, then I break the maas and find out I’m not even close

Hand rub on the polish, rub in the polish by hand, wipe clean X3

At this point I’m usually tired of the item, it looks deep, it looks done, hahhaa NOPE.. Now use the Mothers on it for a final pass, no more than two pass are ever required at this point..

IMG_9721.jpg

These forks took me a total of 4 hours to polish, so take that for what its worth..

Last edited:

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    These parts only took me, on average.. about 45 to 1 hr each

IMG_9732.jpg

IMG_9746.jpg

IMG_9710.jpg

IMG_9711.jpg

IMG_9683-1.jpg

IMG_9751.jpg

Anyway.. That’s is all I have team..

Thank you all for your time and I hope this thread helps some one out.

Link..

P.S.

Soooooooooo, how do you polish your metal?

Top Bottom