• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I want to get an old boat hull and rehab it as a place to sit and relax in my backyard. Any thoughts on how to mount it to the ground? I'm hoping to get a deck boat style hull, single v-hull.

I'm thinking dig a hull-shaped hole to partially sink it in, but should I pour a few footers with bolts coming through the hull with a plate or two? I don't want it rocking when people walk through it or coming loose in rain.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Aviation screw in tie down anchors come to mind.

This, and putting sand in the bottom of the hole such that the boat can bed down into it. You will never get a hole dug in the ground to perfectly conform to the bottom of that boat, but the sand will conform to it with a little work, making it naturally sit stable so that you are not having to use anchor points to stabilize it in spite of itself.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    They are called " Yard Yachts " where I'm from.
    Most folks dig a hole and like said above set it in sand, have some drainage in the hole so the boat doesent float in a good rainstorm. Drill a good sized hole in the bottom of the hull for drainage.
    Anchorage is secured with a couple of screw downs anchors for mobile homes. They can be bought for 10-15 bucks each.

I would look at a short V hull like a Whaler style of a Tri Hull before a Deep V.
    Alot less digging, and related style hulls will be closer to the ground.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    With your back yard, I think that just keeping it as a boat would work just fine. Trench out a little bit and you could easily have your own pond!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had an old boat sitting in my back yard for a year (after I bought the place) and gravity did a fine job through many a storm. I don't think it would take much.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I found this last night and am interested. Pics of this style boat suggest a pretty open design. this wouldn't take much rehab work either.

1976 Signa Tri-Hull

Never heard of aviation screws or RV anchors,! Thanks guys. Google image "boat bar" and see what some have done.

They are called " Yard Yachts " where I'm from.
    Most folks dig a hole and like said above set it in sand, have some drainage in the hole so the boat doesent float in a good rainstorm. Drill a good sized hole in the bottom of the hull for drainage.
    Anchorage is secured with a couple of screw downs anchors for mobile homes. They can be bought for 10-15 bucks each.

I would look at a short V hull like a Whaler style of a Tri Hull before a Deep V.
    Alot less digging, and related style hulls will be closer to the ground.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    How do you plan on keeping it from filling with water if it's buried? I have a 17ft V hull Chris Craft that would be a great boat for such a project. Anyone interested in NWI please pm me

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Before you spend any money Doc, there's a boat mechanic up on East St where it ties into Madison on the southside of Indy that always seems to have a stripped out hull sitting out by the road with the word "FREE" painted on it! Might be worth the drive to run by and check it out, even if they don't have a freebie that fits your need they will probably have something to fill the bill judging from the google earth shot of the place.

boat.jpg

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I would build a couple poppets,(boat stands)contour them to the keel front and rear,brace between them,screw through the keel into them,and climb aboard.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    What else is popular where I'm from is to find a old wooden fishing boat 26 to 40' long and cut the transom off with say 4' of the sides with it.
    They refinish the teak / mohogany transom and make shelf's for inside of the transom and put it on the deck or yard and use it for a bar.. It's popular with the tiki crowd.. Your own SS Minnow...

Top Bottom