• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm a noon when it comes to sharpening knives, let alone a kukri. Sure it's not a high quality kukri, but surely a noon like me can maintain the blade enough to be useful for chopping wood or something....

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Purchase a 1" x 30" belt sander from Harbor Freight then get a couple micron belts from Lee Valley. You will be able to keep your kukri razor sharp. You might even get one of the leather belts from Lee Valley for your belt sander and you will then have a power strop.
    cdzeCSg.jpg

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Purchase a 1" x 30" belt sander from Harbor Freight then get a couple micron belts from Lee Valley. You will be able to keep your kukri razor sharp. You might even get one of the leather belts from Lee Valley for your belt sander and you will then have a power strop.
    cdzeCSg.jpg

I dont know anything about power devices like this for sharpening, but I've always stayed a way from belt grinders for that purpose. My concern is whether you would heat up the blade enough to affect the temper, or be likely to take off too much and affect the bevel.

those two concerns aside - I may look into a power sander like this. I'm sure I can watch out for the issues I mentioned. There's plenty of times that I've wnated to do more than my old sharpening stones will do, or at least do it faster!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    How about an oiled wetstone? Mild working passes with the blade, even on both sides. Maybe a mild file-same scenario. Bought both at Harbor Freight for less than $15.
    Seems fine with an old WW2 Collins Hatchet, after a quick sand job to remove rust. (hatchet was in my grandfathers garage since 1942).
    I used a C clamp to hold the stone in place, then lightly worked the edge. Not shaving sharp, but works with small saplings, and clearing brush.

I also own the CS Kukri, and was dull when I got it. Am working the file edge vs the stone now to improve. Outside weather has been rough last couple weeks!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm a noon when it comes to sharpening knives, let alone a kukri. Sure it's not a high quality kukri, but surely a noon like me can maintain the blade enough to be useful for chopping wood or something....

It's "noob" noob, get your internet lingo right :laugh:

I dont know anything about power devices like this for sharpening, but I've always stayed a way from belt grinders for that purpose. My concern is whether you would heat up the blade enough to affect the temper, or be likely to take off too much and affect the bevel.
    !

Not saying you couldn't over heat the blade, but from what I've seen, you're more likely to round off the tip if you don't know what you're doing on one. I think I would opt for something like the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition instead, since it has a guide and variable speed.

Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener - Sharpeners - Knife

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    It's "noob" noob, get your internet lingo right :laugh:

Not saying you couldn't over heat the blade, but from what I've seen, you're more likely to round off the tip if you don't know what you're doing on one. I think I would opt for something like the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition instead, since it has a guide and variable speed.

Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener - Sharpeners - Knife

i bought one a couple of weeks ago, im still trying to get the hang of it, as for rounding the tip, be careful you can still do that, like the instructions say, practice on a cheap knife first!, id hate to ruin a chris reeve sebenza or a strider when i could ruin a high qualty pakistani or chinese knife!

ive got a knife warm, but i dont think it was anywhere near hot enough to pull the temper out of the blade, now i think the op's cold steel kukri would be a b!tch sharpen on ANY sharpner, just because of the blade shape.

as for the belt grinders, without any way of making sure you have a set angle, id think it's to easy to ruin a blade, my dad has a crkt hissatsu folder that's ruined because some jack waggon at a flea market messed up the angle, one side looks like a perfect 20 degrees, the other looks about 12-15, nothing will fix that blade, i used my work sharp to try to fix it, and it didnt work

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I got a lansky diamond rod with a v shaped carbide sharpener....I think it's going to take a while to get the tip back to condition. It's quite blunt...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    i bought one a couple of weeks ago, im still trying to get the hang of it, as for rounding the tip, be careful you can still do that, like the instructions say, practice on a cheap knife first!, id hate to ruin a chris reeve sebenza or a strider when i could ruin a high qualty pakistani or chinese knife!

ive got a knife warm, but i dont think it was anywhere near hot enough to pull the temper out of the blade, now i think the op's cold steel kukri would be a b!tch sharpen on ANY sharpner, just because of the blade shape.

as for the belt grinders, without any way of making sure you have a set angle, id think it's to easy to ruin a blade, my dad has a crkt hissatsu folder that's ruined because some jack waggon at a flea market messed up the angle, one side looks like a perfect 20 degrees, the other looks about 12-15, nothing will fix that blade, i used my work sharp to try to fix it, and it didnt work

You could fix it on a wicked edge with the 50 grit diamond stone. It might take a bit but CRKT's steel is on the softer side so it is easier to reprofile.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    You could fix it on a wicked edge with the 50 grit diamond stone. It might take a bit but CRKT's steel is on the softer side so it is easier to reprofile.

yes if i had the kind of money it takes to buy a wicked edge, i just practiced on a cheap knife, (ive got a few around the house)and i'll use my ko work sharp

im going to tackle a crkt m16, and a gerber 06 tonight(dad is having a hard time getting a edge on them)

Top Bottom