• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Title pretty much says it all. My uncle used to take care of this, but he has moved out the are and my knives are getting dull. I have never done this before (yes, i know that was stupid but too late now). I'm looking to get pointed in the right direction.

A book or a GOOD video online on how to do it right would be greatly appreciated.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks for starting this thread, I'm interested too. +1 sent
    I don't want to have to rely on my dad to sharpen my knives forever.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I knew NOTHING about knife sharpening, but after my wife purchased a Spyderco Sharpmaker for Christmas I am able to put a decent edge on some old knives I own. It will take a while before I consider letting it touch one of my better knives, but it works great so far, is cheap, and is pretty much dummy-proof.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Sharpmaker works well for the bulk of my stuff, especially with the diamond and ultra fine stones. If the geometry of the blade is weird or ridiculously hard steel, it takes a trip to Tylers house.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    my LANSKY and my SPYDERCO fufill all my needs. the LANSKY for initial edges (first time sharpened), and my SPYDERCO to keep them razor sharp. by the way, does anyone know what happened to Mike Ruppert, at Renott Training and Supplies, who wrote the definitive instructions on how to use the LANSKY.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I knew NOTHING about knife sharpening, but after my wife purchased a Spyderco Sharpmaker for Christmas I am able to put a decent edge on some old knives I own. It will take a while before I consider letting it touch one of my better knives, but it works great so far, is cheap, and is pretty much dummy-proof.

I use it on my CRK's, Striders, and basically all my folders except the Spydie Lum tanto that has a convexed front edge. The Sharpmaker IMHO is a fantastic system.
    Now if I can get Tyler to work on my Busse.....:D

Last edited:

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I use it on my CRK's, Striders, and basically all my folders except the Spydie Lum tanto that has a convexed front edge. The Sharpmaker IMHO is a fantastic system.
    Now if I can get Tyler to work on my Busse.....:D

I dont think even Tyler could make a Busse sharp

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Do you ever put your edges under a magnifying glass? It doesn't take long for the blade to get chipped, bent, and dinged up. The difficulty with sharpening is that there are so many different angles knives come out of the factory with. Gerber one, shrade another, kershaw, buck, all slightly different angles. aaahh it can be a nightmare and there is no magical solution. A good steel will keep the blade strait and fix dings. That is the biggest problem. There is no one sharpener or system that sharpens them all.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    your post doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but yes I do put my edges under a microscope, and yes there is one sharpener that can sharpen all knives although that doesn't mean they will be factory angles when they are done but there are some that you can put whatever angle you want on them therefore you could keep them at the factory angle. and for that matter most factories don't sharpen at the right angle for the steel they are using to begin with, S30V being a prime example. you should always tailor your edge angle to the steel being used, the problem is most people don't know what those are.

sant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Leaning is great but if these are nice knives I might try a professional service and practice on somthing else.

Top Bottom