• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I've been toying with the idea of competitive shooting for a while but I honestly don't know anything about it other than what I've seen in youtube videos. My local range wasn't much help either. Don't want to come across as a total noob but I have no idea where to start. I live close to the Marion/Hancock County border.

I've looked at NRA, GSSF, USPSA, ISPC... I would probably start with a .40 Glock unless its awesome enough to invest into more of a race gun. What can you guys tell me about competitive shooting and how to get started?

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Glock is a great gun to start out with and stick with in many cases. In USPSA the .40 is more geared towards Limited Division, although it can be shot in Production Division as well.

Atlanta Conservation Club comes to mind that is relatively close to you and hosts USPSA Matches. There are several members here who shoot Matches at ACC (myself included).

*USPSA is the domestic IPSC more or less (more or less very similar).

Local USPSA Matches will typically occur on Sunday's: Locally we have WVPPS (Terre Haute), South Central Gun Club (Freetown), ACC (Atlanta), SilverCreek (Sellerburg), WVRPC (Lafayette), (Fort Wayne and Warsaw as well).

Match will cost $20 and you do not need to be a member to shoot the match. However, if you want your classifier test scores to be uploaded for a shooter class rating then you will need to join USPSA.

As far as what you will need to bring to a local match:

1. Belt, OWB Holster, Mag pouches for at least 2 magazines (4 is great). I would suggest 3 to 5 mags at least.

2. A handgun that works.

3. Ammunition that works.

4. Water/Drinks and Snacks.

5. 250 rounds of ammunition.

USPSA will operate under a Cold Range (no loaded guns on range, no mags in guns). There will be a safe area where you can remove your pistol from its case or bag and put it into your holster. Once you leave the safe area you cannot handle your firearm except under the direction of a USPSA Range Officer.

Ammunition can be loaded into mags anywhere except safe area.

When you come to your first Match, tell the organizer or someone who looks like they belong there that this is your first Match and you are a new shooter.

I also advise attending the Indoor Matches at Parabellum and especially the "newbie match" hosted there.

It's a great sport, with some really good people into it locally.

For USPSA I would suggest downloading there rules in PDF form:

http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb%202014%20Handgun%20Rules.pdf

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IDPA is also a good one. Personally I found IDPA easier to enter as a noob because it is more rule heavy. There are specific things like slicing the pie (shoot the targets in order as they become visible as you move around the edge of cover) and tactical priority (shooting the closer targets first) that help remove the brain freeze of HOW to shoot the course. USPSA as I understand it is more "here is the stage, put the appropriate number of holes in the target, as fast as you can." I think IDPA generally has a lower round count too, so its a wee bit cheaper to shoot it. Typically 100 rounds are all you need for IDPA unless something happens that you need to re-shoot a stage.

IDPA is a VERY welcoming group. Show up cold with a production handgun, 3 mags, and two magazine holsters and a cover garment and you have what you need to compete. And a cover garment doesnt have to be a fancy shooters/photo vest like many wear. I use an unbuttoned casual shirt and it works fine. Ive seen guys with IWB holsters use their tee to cover it.

Just let the match director know you are new and between the new shooter briefing and the other experienced shooters, you will get plenty of help. Ask plenty of questions. You wont be looked down on.

Also the state match is coming up at ACC the first weekend in October. Show up and watch and talk to the shooters and you might learn a bit. Next Saturday is an IDPA match at Wildcat (Brookston, near Lafayette). Go hang out and watch there too. Larry Whitesides, the match director is an excellent guy. So is Joe Tyson at ACC. Both will make sure you are safe and educated.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you are comfortable drawing from a holster, as well as shooting on the move. Many people have only ever shot at a traditional static range that prohibits drawing for safety and due to the nature of shooting bays, have never shot while moving.
    I also cant say enough about Joe Tyson's IDPA classes. He puts them on once or twice a year at ACC and they fill pretty quick. He coaches you on all of the above and gets you used to doing the stuff you cant typically do at a static range.

A handy IDPA website for our area.

* * * * * * * * IndyIDPA - Home

Rule book is here, and you are allowed to shoot 2 matches before joining the IDPA.

http://www.idpa.com/

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    Wow, thanks for all of the information. I am excited about trying something new. I don't work a regular job that has regular hours so committing to something that is only on the weekends might be a little difficult. I would even be up for a more local event. I just want to push myself to be better.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow, thanks for all of the information. I am excited about trying something new. I don't work a regular job that has regular hours so committing to something that is only on the weekends might be a little difficult. I would even be up for a more local event. I just want to push myself to be better.

ACC is probably as local and regular as you will find. Sometimes USPSA does indoor events in the winter here in the city. Both of them are very popular and require specific range setups that you just wont find just anywhere. Ask the boss for the day off that day. There is PLENTY of notice as the matches follow a regular schedule (always the x day of the month like clockwork)

EDIT: and dont worry about commitment. Its not a team sport and scores arent cumulative resulting in an overall winner/championship. If you cant make it to them all, it wont hurt ANYONE one bit. Go when you can and have fun!

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm just getting started with this type of shooting myself. Fcvcc.org has some very informal and fun action steel shoots. They are normally on Thursday nights. Check the calendar and come up for a shoot.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    USPSA as I understand it is more "here is the stage, put the appropriate number of holes in the target, as fast as you can."

I'm pretty sure the object of IDPA is to hit the target as fast as you can is no different than USPSA:dunno:
    The winner of a USPSA or IDPA match will be the shooter that is the fastest and most accurate.(combined)
    IDPA will tell you how and when to do everything including shooting.
    USPSA you are presented with a stage and for the most part free to figure out the best way to shoot it(safely).
    Try both sports and see which fits your preferences or better yet do both.

Also you don't have to join USPSA to shoot it's matches but do if you want to get classified.

A good place to start.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...shooting-gear-basics-white-paper-newbies.html

IMPDRange1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    I would also reccommend the Parabellum Newbie match above. Excellent intro to USPSA shooting for not a lot of money and was very well ran.

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    I've been toying with the idea of competitive shooting for a while but I honestly don't know anything about it other than what I've seen in youtube videos. My local range wasn't much help either. Don't want to come across as a total noob but I have no idea where to start. I live close to the Marion/Hancock County border.

I've looked at NRA, GSSF, USPSA, ISPC... I would probably start with a .40 Glock unless its awesome enough to invest into more of a race gun. What can you guys tell me about competitive shooting and how to get started?

Atlanta Conservation Club has a practice night on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month. Start is 5pm. Look on www.atlantaconservationclub.com for more information. I highly recommend taking the newbie class at Parabellum. Coach does a great job.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Try a Steel match first. It's much simpler than IDPA or USPSA (both are awesome and should be tried) but Steel Challenge is simpler while giving you the chance to learn range commands and shoot under time pressure with competition. Try Friday Night Steel at Marion County Range (MCFG Indy Range - Friday Night Steel). They shoot 2nd and 4th Friday evening during the summer. Nice guys and very helpful. You can shoot your .40 just fine.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Another great starter for competition is a Bowling Pin shoot. Again there is one at the MCFG Range (MCFG Indy Range - Bowling Pins). They also have both a Bowling Pin Shoot and a Steel match at Riley Conservation Club (Riley Conservation Club | Indiana Shooting Range | Terre Haute Indiana). I have shot Steel matches at both Atlanta Conservation Club and Wild Cat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club and they were awesome as well. Pretty much everyone I have met has been friendly, open and willing to offer advice and tips. Get into competition it's a blast!

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    Thanks for all of the great info! I think there is a lot of good information here. The Parabellum shoot looks like the best place to start. Now I just need to have time off to go.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    Like others have said Steel shoots are great learning places. Usually no movement and helps get you use to a timer going off at your ear. You'll hear people say IDPA, Some say USPSA ,just fyi IDPA requires membership after the first match, where in USPSA doesn't require membership. Just remember go to a range with an open mind and a clear handgun. Most ranges are "cold" meaning no loaded weapons. Come out and shoot straight.

Compglock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 10, 2015
    Brownsburg
    MCF&G, come out to Friday night steel this week and hang out, watch, sit through safety meeting?
    a great way to meet people and get your head around shooting sports. Bring eyes and ears.
    ACC, Riley CC & many other ranges are also great places to get involved.

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    IDPA or USPSA has been something I've really wanted to try the last couple years but just have never gotten around too. The newbie class is looking like something I might seriously consider giving a try!

Top Bottom